Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:33:54 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Soylent Green « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Soylent Green  (Read 5401 times)
vukxfiles
Bad Movie Lover

« on: May 24, 2010, 01:51:46 PM »

I've just watched this and wasn't impressed at all. I know it's a classic but that fact that it is means that the ending plot twist isn't a suprise to anybody. Also, The movie is too slow and outdated for modern standards. Charlton heston wasn't appropriate for the characted he portrayed, because he looked to old. I did like the riot scene very much, though. The people-scooping vehicles were genius. What I didn't understand most was why the old man died in that orange-lit "cinema". Did the doctors there kill him, and if not, how the heck did he or they know he was gonna die?
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 03:51:40 PM »

I've just watched this and wasn't impressed at all. I know it's a classic but that fact that it is means that the ending plot twist isn't a suprise to anybody. Also, The movie is too slow and outdated for modern standards. Charlton heston wasn't appropriate for the characted he portrayed, because he looked to old. I did like the riot scene very much, though. The people-scooping vehicles were genius. What I didn't understand most was why the old man died in that orange-lit "cinema". Did the doctors there kill him, and if not, how the heck did he or they know he was gonna die?

The "cinema" is a place people could go for a peaceful "assisted suicide" (sort of like a high-tech version of Dr. Kavorkian).

I'm not sure this is really a "classic" (although, it may be somewhat of a "cult classic").  It did get some bad reviews when it was released in theaters.  Whatever anyone thinks of it, I consider it a guilty pleasure.  I guess the overall movie is, as you say, slow.  (Although, I try not to judge movies by today's standards . . . I'm NOT a fan of today's constantly spinning, diving, zooming, panning, cameras and strobe-light style editing).  But even if it is slow-paced, there are many individual scenes I really like (one of my favorites is when Heston comes home with some beef and apples and other "real" food and he and Edward G. Robinson have a feast).  I own a copy of this on DVD and I dig it out once a year or so.  I think it makes a good double feature with the original ROLLERBALL (another not especially good movie that I like for some odd reason).

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 06:35:41 PM »

I remember liking this one, though I haven't seen it in a long time.  I vaguely remember something about a jar of jelly (or jam) that costs something like $125.  I also associate this movie with "people cookies", at least that's what I called 'em.  TeddyR

Hold onto your dreams ....
vukxfiles
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 01:16:33 AM »

I remember liking this one, though I haven't seen it in a long time.  I vaguely remember something about a jar of jelly (or jam) that costs something like $125.  I also associate this movie with "people cookies", at least that's what I called 'em.  TeddyR

Yeah, that was very bizarre. Since it's a cult classic, I knew from the start that some food was being made out of people. But, I thought that the government was hiring guys to assassinate poeple that will be sold as food. i thought the piece of beef Heston found was human meat. I was very shocked, and laughed, when it turned out already dead people were made into cookies.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 06:12:15 PM »

While there's a lot about the film that's dated and it isn't as futuristic as it ought to be, there's an awful lot in Soylent Green that rings awfully true and seems more and more plausible as a tomorrrow to me now than ever before. The fantastic opening montage is nothing but the truth about humanity...us moving away from nature, industrializing and in effect destroying the very planet on which we live. The truth is also there with regards to the wide divergence between the rich and the poor which seems to be coming to pass more and more everyday with unemployment and homelessness on the continued rise. I love the sweaty oppressing, sweltering heat and dirt that seems to permeate throughout the movie except in the domain of the ultra rich where everything is squeaky clean. It's like one can feel the overwhelming weight of the world on the priest's shoulders as he got a worldful of needy to care for and no way to possibly fit hands with it all as the world slowly dies all around us all. Charlton Heston's adds a nice passion to his role and his savors everything he can in his life as much as possible while Edward G. Robinson's character realizes the awful truth...the world is already dying and likely cannot be saved. The stopped watch, lack of time for Thorn to finish his case before they close it down on him...time running out all around.

Det. Thorn: "I know, Sol, you've told me a hundred times before. People were better, the world was better..."
Sol: "Ah, people were always lousy... But there was a world, once."

Det. Thorn: "I know, I know. When you were young, people were better."
Sol: "Aw, nuts. People were always rotten. But the world 'was' beautiful`."

Det. Thorn: "Turn the air conditioning way up!"
Shirl: "Way up! We'll make it as cold as winter used to be!"

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
dean

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 01:40:16 AM »

It certainly hasn't dated well, but I think it gets its reputation largely from that one famous line that seems to have burned itself into many people's consciousness.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 06:40:32 AM »

I love this movie.  I think it is sad that the "punchline" has taken over for why it is important.

The first time I watched it, I already knew the punchline and I don't think it diminished my enjoyment of the movie.  Rather, I was mesmerized by how completely the dysfunction of that society was captured - some in very overt ways, some very subtle.  "Furniture" comes to my mind as one really creative way the breakdown of reasonable social interaction was depicted.

SOYLENT GREEN would be on my own short list of "Must See Movies" for anyone who claims to be a movie buff - and not JUST for the ending.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
vukxfiles
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 08:35:40 AM »

Yeah, but if the world is poorer and more populated and polluted, why are women degraded to such a level to be referred to as furniture?
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 08:40:48 AM »

......and as we all know, Soylent Greenis....

SPOILER BELOW

Trevor's underpants.  Buggedout Buggedout Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 10:25:52 AM »

Yeah, but if the world is poorer and more populated and polluted, why are women degraded to such a level to be referred to as furniture?

Why not in a world where society is completely broken?  There is virtually no civilization left, and hence no regard for others.

I think this "extreme" is just one example used to show just how badly the social order has decayed.  There are many others, and some are very subtle.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 11:20:18 AM »

I liked it well enough. It was based on a pretty decent Harry Harrison story, and I generally like those 70s dystopian futures. I did find it a bit slow in places.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 08:09:19 PM »

In a world with so many, is it any wonder women might be willing to be "furniture"...if it's a choice between living in luxury or homeless on the street?

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Zebra 3
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 07:35:54 PM »

Everytime I see this movie I think of McDonald's.

'Huuutch!' - Starsky
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 05:52:41 AM »

This was on TV last week when I was in the hospital.  Even though I've seen it dozens of times and own the DVD, I couldn't resist stopping to watch a few minutes of it while I was channel surfing.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Hammock Rider

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 09:49:29 AM »

We used to have chocolate covered graham crackers around the house and one of my older cousins told me they were chocolate soylent green. It weirded me out for a few days until I realized I liked them too much to care and started eating them again.  Buggedout

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Soylent Green « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.