Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:06:18 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Another review from your favorite MB Troll « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Another review from your favorite MB Troll  (Read 7286 times)
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 11:09:17 PM »

True. That's one of the things limiting the size of a lot of creepy crawlies. Their respiratory systems are not efficient enough to sustain a larger body. Not sure whether the bugs in the Carboniferous Period were still limited by the available oxygen, or whether they'd run up against the weight limit of an arthropod exoskeleton, which really can't support anything too big on land. Could be that any spider with a body bigger than roughly the size of your head wouldn't be able to stand. I know for sure that a giant one would collapse under its own weight.

But that would make for a really short movie. I suppose you could make a feature-length movie in which the spider mutates, grows to about the size of a Golden Retriever, can no longer move and starts to suffocate. Then you pad out the run time with an hour of vultures pecking at the poor thing.
Get a mediocre level celebrity attached to this and I think you could sell the idea to Hollywood!
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 09:25:51 AM »

All that oxygen during the Carboniferous period was a leftover from the times when stromatolites ruled the surface.  You see when life began, it was all underwater.  The atmosphere at the time was mostly methane,with small amounts of nitrogen and other inert gases.  Single celled organisms were the standard.  These were in Earth's oceans.  Then came Earth's worst ice age, otherwise known as Snowball Earth.  During this period, snow and ice covered all of the Earth's surface, reflecting all sunlight back into space.  There wasn't any carbon dioxide in the atmosphere to hold it in.  Life was able to hold on in the oceans greatest depth near volcanic vents where it evolved into multicellular creatures.  The Snowball Earth was brought to an end when the Earth responded with thousands of volcanoes erupting from the ground filling the mostly methane atmosphere with carbon dioxide.  Over the next few million years, the snow and ice melted and Earth was a green planet instead of white.  However, there was no oxygen in the atmosphere yet.  The atmosphere was methane and carbon dioxide.  Then stromatolites evolved and converted the carbon dioxide into oxygen over hundreds of millions of years.  Within that period, vertebrates evolved and animals were moving closer to the oceans surface.  They eventually ventured onto land.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 05:15:13 PM by WyreWizard » Logged

Babe, I'm leaving.  I must be on my way.  The time is drawing near.  The train is going.  I see it in your eyes.  The love beneath your tears.  And I'll be lonely without you.  And I'll need your love to see me through.  So please me.  My heart is your hands.  And I'll be missing you...
Intangible Skeleton
Dedicated Viewer

Rip your flesh.

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010, 07:24:53 AM »

I freakin' love this film! It's hilarious and badass in that way that only 80's b-sci-fi/action could be. The title of the movie is there entirely so that Dolph Lundgren can make his witty prehumous retort. It doesn't even make any sense!

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2010, 07:27:38 AM »

All that oxygen during the Carboniferous period was a leftover from the times when stromatolites ruled the surface.  You see when life began, it was all underwater.  The atmosphere at the time was mostly methane,with small amounts of nitrogen and other inert gases.  Single celled organisms were the standard.  These were in Earth's oceans.  Then came Earth's worst ice age, otherwise known as Snowball Earth.  During this period, snow and ice covered all of the Earth's surface, reflecting all sunlight back into space.  There wasn't any carbon dioxide in the atmosphere to hold it in.  Life was able to hold on in the oceans greatest depth near volcanic vents where it evolved into multicellular creatures.  The Snowball Earth was brought to an end when the Earth responded with thousands of volcanoes erupting from the ground filling the mostly methane atmosphere with carbon dioxide.  Over the next few million years, the snow and ice melted and Earth was a green planet instead of white.  However, there was no oxygen in the atmosphere yet.  The atmosphere was methane and carbon dioxide.  Then stromatolites evolved and converted the carbon dioxide into oxygen over hundreds of millions of years.  Within that period, vertebrates evolved and animals were moving closer to the oceans surface.  They eventually ventured onto land.

Your point being?

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2010, 10:20:07 AM »

Your point being?

My point?  Well in one of your posts, you seemed think that the fact the atmosphere during the carboniferous period have a high oxygen content was just a theory and I was just saying why it was and what caused it, that's all.

Have you ever seen that documentary called the Future is Wild?  Well that show says that 200 million years from now there will be a giant insect called the falcon fly which is really a wasp and it'll have a 2 or 3 foot wingspan.  That tells me that 200 million years from now, Earth's atmosphere will be similar to what it was during the carboniferous period.  Of course, that is just a theory seeing as how its in the future and hasn't happened yet.

Babe, I'm leaving.  I must be on my way.  The time is drawing near.  The train is going.  I see it in your eyes.  The love beneath your tears.  And I'll be lonely without you.  And I'll need your love to see me through.  So please me.  My heart is your hands.  And I'll be missing you...
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2010, 11:41:43 AM »

Not sure whether the bugs in the Carboniferous Period were still limited by the available oxygen, or whether they'd run up against the weight limit of an arthropod exoskeleton, which really can't support anything too big on land.

I was questioning whether they still had room to grow if there were even more oxygen, or whether they'd reached the structural limit of their bodies. The existence of creatures such as Arthropleura, over six feet long, but spread out over a longer body with more legs, suggests to me that weight was the limiting factor, and those spiders and dragonflies were as large as they could get. Today, their simple respiratory systems keep arthropods small, but the oxygen content of the carboniferous allowed them to max out what their bodies could support. More oxygen would not have made them any bigger. It was more a matter of figuring out how big a spider could realistically get.

And actually, a quick Google tells me spiders didn't even get that big. Apparently, the giant Carboniferous spider was a misidentified species of sea scorpion - basically a big prehistoric crab.
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/146/146372_spider_as_big_as_a_dog_didnt_exist.html

---------------------
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2010, 01:56:36 PM »

Sea Scorpions are an entirely different matter.  They grew so big because they were underwater arthropods.  You see, soft-bodied creatures grow bigger underwater than they do on land because the buoyancy of water gives their bodies better support and a greater concentration of oxygen than in the air.  I mean face it, oxygen is thicker underwater than it is on land.  I mean, you have water molecules which are one part hydrogen to two parts oxygen sliding over each other.  But in the air, O2 and O3 molecules aren't touching each other so they form a gas.  The only thing bounding them in close proximity is gravity.
     I remember seeing one documentary on Animal Planet about prehistoric sea life.  It covered the first fish, sea scorpions of various species and straight nautiloids.  Sea Scorpions came in many species, some as small as 2 feet and other growing up to 10 feet in length.  Believe it or not, this documentary actually showed sea scorpions venturing onto land!  They ventured onto land because their prey crossed land bridges to reach their spawning grounds.  I don't know if this was possible or not.  I mean the shells of these sea scorpions may have acted like built in scuba equipment.  Or they may have been semi-amphibious.  I don't know, what do you think?

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2010, 06:37:56 PM »

So, now you're just giving spontaneous lectures for no reason? That's bizarre, and kind of sad.

---------------------
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Another review from your favorite MB Troll « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.