Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:26:34 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Urinal shaped like woman's mouth removed « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Urinal shaped like woman's mouth removed  (Read 6536 times)
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« on: May 31, 2010, 06:31:33 PM »

By Pat Hewitt, The Canadian Press

A urinal shaped like a woman's wide-open mouth has been flushed out of the men's room of a Hamilton eatery following a nearly year-long public outcry.

The glossy, red-lipped loo at The Honest Lawyer restaurant sparked a letter writing campaign that attracted almost 1,100 people, including Ontario's NDP leader and Hamilton's mayor.

Some people argued the "Kisses! urinal" — manufactured by Bathroom Mania! in the Netherlands — was art or just a joke.

The Woman Abuse Working Group, a coalition of 24 organizations, disagreed and led efforts to oust what it considered to be an offensive water closet.

Lenore Lukasik-Foss, chairwoman of the group, said Monday she's "shocked, excited and thrilled" that it's gone.

"It's not a joke to pee into a woman's mouth," she said.

The group was concerned about women's safety and the message the urinal, which had been there since the restaurant opened in February 2007, sent to men in the bar.

"They're drinking and maybe hoping to connect with a special person and then they're going to the bathroom and peeing into a woman's mouth," said Lukasik-Foss, who's also director of the Sex Assault Centre.

"Granted it's sort of a cartoonish version, but still it's clearly a woman's mouth."

Ontario NDP Leader Andrea Horwath, who had sent a letter to owner Greg Sandwell asking him to consider the outcry from women's groups, said she was pleased it had been removed.

"It was something that was causing a great deal of concern around the Hamilton area," said Horwath, who represents the riding in which the restaurant is located.

"I've been to the Honest Lawyer with many different people, including men, and nobody ever gave me the heads up."

Sandwell could not immediately be reached for comment.

On its website, the manufacturer says "'Kisses!' transforms a daily event into a blushing experience."

It also adds: "This is one target men will never miss."

Meike van Schijndel said in an email from Holland that she devised the design for an art school project, and lots of men and women like the "cartoonish looking mouth."

"The thought that this urinal only represents a man peeing in a woman's mouth never even occurred to me while making it," said van Schijndel, who added interpretation of her work lies in people's imaginations.

"Luckily for all those women who feel offended, they will never run into a 'Kisses' at a restroom."

While the designer defends the urinals as sensual art, a complaint led a McDonald's outlet in The Netherlands to remove them in 2006. The complainant was an American who saw her work in a magazine, not in real life, said van Schijndel.

The designer said a "bad" copy of her work was removed from a public washroom near Austria's national opera in Vienna in 2006 after complaints from politicians.

In 2004, Virgin Airways apologized and ditched plans to install a pair at its lounge at New York's John F. Kennedy airport after the National Organization for Women called them "degrading."

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 03:30:03 AM »

Looks like it had some people really p**sed.   Wink
bionica
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 03:38:55 AM »

why are people retarded? that thing is awesome!!!!
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 07:40:10 AM »

The Rolling Stones lips needs some liquid, ya know.  Wink

yeah no.
3mnkids

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 08:47:32 AM »

Its ugly for sure but most urinals are, aren't they? okay, its in bad taste   Smile    but come on...

The group was concerned about women's safety and the message the urinal, which had been there since the restaurant opened in February 2007, sent to men in the bar

That is ridicouls. A man that doesnt have it in him to hurt a woman isnt going to suddenly get the urge because of this urinal.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 04:33:00 PM »

This might be a good example of Location, Location, Location.  I could see that in a club, or some place like that.  But I'm guessing Hamilton's Eatery might not have been the best place.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
bionica
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 11:36:53 PM »

now if only a face-shaped toilet.....
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 01:21:40 AM »

I dunno...any time I see bright red disembodied lips I think of the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Then you've gotta ask: "do you really want your genitals anywhere near that?"

I personally find it kind of interesting how this reflects on tertiary gender traits in our culture. I mean, bright red lips aren't a natural trait for human beings and there's nothing physically preventing a man from putting on lipstick; however, because these lips are bright red they're assumed to be women's lips even though there's really nothing to indicate if they're male or female other than social expectations for what women and men can and can't wear.
Raffine

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 07:01:48 AM »

Wait - they're only in men's rooms, right?

So how come these women's groups know all about them?

One of you guys musta squealed!

hot Hatred hot

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 04:39:38 PM »

By Pat Hewitt, The Canadian Press

"It's not a joke to pee into a woman's mouth," she said.

"They're drinking and maybe hoping to connect with a special person and then they're going to the bathroom and peeing into a woman's mouth," said Lukasik-Foss, who's also director of the Sex Assault Centre.

The ironic thing is, I don't find it funny to pee in a woman's mouth either, but I do find these women's apoplectic responses to be amusing.   

I'm trying to connect the dots on the second woman's scenario.  I'm imagining she's imagining a guy sitting at the bar with his date.  He's slowly falling in love with her, he thinks she might be "the one."  He excuses himself to answer the call of nature, and then... what?  He's mildly offended?  Or he decides he's been a chump with this romantic BS, and he'd rather pee in her mouth than propose to her?

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 06:26:46 PM »

Wait - they're only in men's rooms, right?

So how come these women's groups know all about them?

One of you guys musta squealed!

hot Hatred hot

wait, we (men) can't have our own DAMN privacy every time we need to go do business? methinks that these ladies room has somethin' hidin' in their  Buggedout Buggedout

yeah no.
Jim H

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 03:39:53 AM »

I have to agree that nothing about those lips is inherently female.  I thought of the RHPS too.

...but, I am a regular poster on this forum.  Your mileage my vary.   Cheers
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Urinal shaped like woman's mouth removed « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.