Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:09:11 AM
714337 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Comic book subscriptions « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Comic book subscriptions  (Read 2080 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 01, 2010, 03:43:51 PM »

So, I've never subscribed to any comics (but I've bought plenty in my time) and I know very little about the current stuff that's out there (I'm most familiar with Marvel Comics from the early 1960s through about the mid 1980s . . . so I have no idea what's been going on with Spider-Man, Daredevil and the rest of the Marvel Universe over the years . . . except the highly publicized stuff such as when Captain America died).  So, today I decided to take the plunge and re-enter the world of Marvel Comics.  I ordered 12 month subscriptions to:

* Amazing Spider-Man
* Avengers
* Black Widow
* Captain America
* Daredevil
* Fantastic Four
* Incredible Hulk
* Invincible Iron Man
* Thor
* Uncanny X-Men

I suspect Peter Parker no longer wears flair pants?

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 12:54:00 AM »

Have fun! I've been thinking about trying Marvel again myself, but some of the reviews I've read have kind of put me off. Oh, not because some of the reviews say that the comics are bad, but because I have no idea what the heck is going on anymore. 10 years of changing writers, conflicting character interpretations, retcons, reboots and everything else tend to result in broken continuity that can really turn off new/returning readers. If you can power through all that, all the power to ya.

If it's not too much to ask, once you've figured out what's going on, would you mind telling the rest of us? Again, I personally wouldn't mind reading a bit of Spider-Man again, but I just plain don't have the money to buy all the issues needed to understand what's going on.
The Burgomaster

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 05:57:51 AM »

If it's not too much to ask, once you've figured out what's going on, would you mind telling the rest of us? Again, I personally wouldn't mind reading a bit of Spider-Man again, but I just plain don't have the money to buy all the issues needed to understand what's going on.

No problem.  By the way, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN is now published 3 times per month . . . it's $50 for a 12 month subscription!  What happened to the 12, 15, 20, and 25 cent cover prices they had when I was a kid?

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 09:46:23 PM »

No problem.  By the way, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN is now published 3 times per month . . . it's $50 for a 12 month subscription!  What happened to the 12, 15, 20, and 25 cent cover prices they had when I was a kid?
Those days are long, long gone.  I started reading comics in the early to mid '90s and prices were around $2 then.

I did subscribe to both Spider-Man and Incredible Hulk through '08/'09.  But I moved last summer, and eventually, I had to not re-new them when they ran out.  I could afford them now, but haven't gotten to it.

I will say this: last few issues of Hulk I read, they had introduced a Red Hulk that was a villain, running around causing all sorts of trouble for Banner/Green Hulk. 

Spider-Man: last story arc I saw had Norman Osbourne being affiliated with the Dark Avengers, and J. Jonah Jameson's long lost father showed up and married Aunt May.  J. Jonah Jameson also became the mayor of New York, going so far as to start up a task force exclusively formed to stop Spider-Man.  Mac Gargan, the Scorpion, is now Venom, and Eddie Brock (The original Venom) is homeless, has cancer, and is the Anti-Venom...not a hero, not a villain, but a vigilante driven insane from his experiences and running around trying to stop criminals. 

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
The Burgomaster

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 06:38:29 AM »

To prepare myself for my subscriptions (which won't start for 6 - 8 weeks according to Marvel . . . and they even told me numbers of the first issues I would receive) I went out yesterday and bought a few recent issues of the titles on my subscription list.  I must say, I was very entertained.  Today's comics are very different from the ones from my youth . . . in some ways better (realism and mature themes), in some ways not as good (they often look and feel more like action movies than comic books).  I have a lot of catching up to do as they apparently abandoned most of the old storylines and histories and started them all over again (otherwise, Peter Parker would be an old man now).  The Spider-Man comics I bought (3 issues) have a story about the Lizard, who is now somewhat of a demonic figure sort of like a gut-munching dinosaur as opposed to the lizard from the 1960s and 70s who looked like a taller version of the Geiko Gekko.  So, I will always feel nostalgic for the old Stan Lee / Jack Kirby / Sal Buscema / John Romita, Sr. / Don Heck / etc. days.  But I'm very interested to see where the new Marvel artists and writers (including John Romita, Jr.) will take these stories.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 06:40:28 AM by The Burgomaster » Logged

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 09:44:33 PM »

To prepare myself for my subscriptions (which won't start for 6 - 8 weeks according to Marvel . . . and they even told me numbers of the first issues I would receive) I went out yesterday and bought a few recent issues of the titles on my subscription list.  I must say, I was very entertained.  Today's comics are very different from the ones from my youth . . . in some ways better (realism and mature themes), in some ways not as good (they often look and feel more like action movies than comic books).  I have a lot of catching up to do as they apparently abandoned most of the old storylines and histories and started them all over again (otherwise, Peter Parker would be an old man now).  The Spider-Man comics I bought (3 issues) have a story about the Lizard, who is now somewhat of a demonic figure sort of like a gut-munching dinosaur as opposed to the lizard from the 1960s and 70s who looked like a taller version of the Geiko Gekko.  So, I will always feel nostalgic for the old Stan Lee / Jack Kirby / Sal Buscema / John Romita, Sr. / Don Heck / etc. days.  But I'm very interested to see where the new Marvel artists and writers (including John Romita, Jr.) will take these stories.

I quite like the direction they've taken Spider-Man in the past year or so.  I don't subscribe at the moment, but get the issues whenever possible. 

They always sorta re-direct the stories in any comic.  Every ten-fifteen years it seems to jump back a decade to do new stuff.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Comic book subscriptions « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.