Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:59:45 PM
713373 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Family feud, petty row linked to UK cabbie's killing spree « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Family feud, petty row linked to UK cabbie's killing spree  (Read 4685 times)
3mnkids
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 03, 2010, 10:12:29 AM »

http://www.zeenews.com/news631300.html

London: A bitter family row and a petty fight on a taxi rank led cab driver Derrick Bird to go on mass killing spree in county of Cumbria, leaving at least 12 dead and 25 injured before he turned the gun on himself in one of the worst mass killings in British history.

Police are today piecing together events that led to Bird embarking on a rampage that began near Whitehaven and ended when he committed suicide.

Police are exploring the theory that Bird was pushed over the edge by a row with his twin brother David over family finances. The investigation is likely to focus on claims that 52-year-old grandfather had been embroiled in a furious feud over his family's financial affairs.

The killings, the worst bloodbath since Dunblane in 1996, has prompted calls for tightening Britain's gun laws.

It must be extremely shocking for everyone over there. It would be shocking here in the US but not as shocking im sure.  Unfortunately this kind of thing happens far to often here.

What is a bitter family row?

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 01:57:18 PM »

Every time there is a shooting like this, people call for tighter gun laws.

The kind of people who gun down 12 innocents for no apparent reason are NOT the kind of people prone to obey laws in general!

After Columbine, there was a huge hue and cry for tougher gun laws in Colorado.  One of the parents who lost his daughter in that massacre made a valid point.  He said, a couple of years later, something to the effect of:   "Dylan and Eric vioalted 36 gun laws in the process of doing what they did.  Do you really think, if there had been one more law on the books, that they would have turned to each other and said 'Dude, I'm cool with violating 36 firearms laws.  But 37?? No way!"  That's a paraphrase, but it catches the gist of what he said.  I think enforcing existing laws is generally preferable to making up new ones.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
flackbait
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 11:09:33 PM »

Every time there is a shooting like this, people call for tighter gun laws.

The kind of people who gun down 12 innocents for no apparent reason are NOT the kind of people prone to obey laws in general!

After Columbine, there was a huge hue and cry for tougher gun laws in Colorado.  One of the parents who lost his daughter in that massacre made a valid point.  He said, a couple of years later, something to the effect of:   "Dylan and Eric vioalted 36 gun laws in the process of doing what they did.  Do you really think, if there had been one more law on the books, that they would have turned to each other and said 'Dude, I'm cool with violating 36 firearms laws.  But 37?? No way!"  That's a paraphrase, but it catches the gist of what he said.  I think enforcing existing laws is generally preferable to making up new ones.
Yeah that would be true here but this happened in England, where if I'm not mistaken has some extremely strict gun laws compared to the states. Furthermore there is not a very big pro-gun lobby in England so I doubt anyones really going to complain if they ratchet the gun laws tighter. In fact I think the laws are strict enough that the beat cops don't even carry firearms.

All that aside it's still a tragic incident. It never ceases to amaze me at what'll set people off and what they'll do because of it. I hope all the people who are still alive can move on after what's happened.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 11:11:37 PM by flackbait » Logged
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Family feud, petty row linked to UK cabbie's killing spree « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.