Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:27:59 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Movies That Lost Their Magic For You « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Movies That Lost Their Magic For You  (Read 7312 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« on: June 05, 2010, 06:28:03 PM »

Was there a movie you watched as a kid or maybe as an adult that you loved but ended up not liking the more you watched?   Or maybe you watched it after a lapse of time and said, "I remember that being much better".  

Now keep in mind, I still pretty enjoy most films I found entertaining as a kid. But for me recently, I found out The Goonies has lost it's appeal on me.  I used to watch the film religiously as a kid and adored it.    However, after watching it on AMC (its 25 years old now) the other day, I just couldn't get into it.  That and I found the plot to be kind of boring and the characters mostly annoying.  I guess the film just had more precedence for me when I was a kid.  

So what are some that you've had similar experiences with?

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
ChaosTheory
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 07:16:38 PM »

As a kid I loved the Ernest movies -- don't judge me!  Bluesad

The Wicker Man (original) freaked me out the first time around, the second time it all just seemed very silly. 

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 07:34:02 PM »

Another one for me is Rocky. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 12:38:51 AM »

Now keep in mind, I still pretty enjoy most films I found entertaining as a kid. But for me recently, I found out The Goonies has lost it's appeal on me.  I used to watch the film religiously as a kid and adored it.    However, after watching it on AMC (its 25 years old now) the other day, I just couldn't get into it.  That and I found the plot to be kind of boring and the characters mostly annoying.  I guess the film just had more precedence for me when I was a kid.  

Say it isn't so! (I still love that movie, and I have watched it many times since I was a kid.)

I try not to go back to the things I loved as a kid. It's a road fraught with disappointment and despair.

One movie I was surprised at was The Last Starfighter. It really wasn't very good at all. For a movie called The Last Starfighter, it is a shame that there is only one real starfight in the movie, and it was at the very end.

I've also found that the parody of himself that Tim Burton has lapsed into has retroactively ruined most of my enjoyment of his previous films.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Pilgermann

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 02:40:23 AM »

Oh man, The Goonies and Rocky?  I still really like those films.  I still enjoy Ernest films, too, but I can see how those films might lose their charm.   TeddyR

I used to love Pete's Dragon when I was a child, and I'd watch it regularly.  I tried watching it a few years ago and it annoyed the heck out of me and I couldn't finish it.  It's one of those film's that's great for kids, but that's it.  I'll probably buy a copy for my children when (or if) I have 'em.

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 06:41:59 AM »

Rocky - man, if I hear that guy yell "Adriaaaan!" one more time my head's gonna explode.  I really enjoyed it when I first saw it, but couldn't imagine watching the whole thing again now.  Summer Lovers is another one.  When I was a teenager it was a great, fun and sexy movie.  Tried watching it a while ago and it was just really bad.  The theme song by Chicago couldn't save it.  An Officer And A Gentleman is another one.  Enjoyed it at the time, but last time I watched it I just found it depressing.  And Top Gun.  Just too cheesy even for a "gimme triple cheese" guy like me to take.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 09:10:31 AM »

I saw this at a Saturday matinee at my local movie theater when I was about 6 years old.  I bought the DVD a few years ago and all the magic is gone.  But the LAUGHS are still intact . . .

Small | Large

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 09:39:51 AM »

I can truly say that I still like the movies that I saw as a child ~ especially Sidney Lumet's Murder On The Orient Express and the first film I remember seeing on TV, Eugenio Martin's Horror Express.

Strange: they both have trains in them.....  TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 09:45:09 AM »

I'm sure there are some, but I can't think of any at the moment. However, I can think of dozens of examples when it comes to music or bands I used to like. I think I'll start a new Off Topic thread.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 11:04:15 AM »

Dangerous Minds. (Over stauration of school filicks killed this for me.)

Mortal Kombat. (I used to watch this all the time when I got back from school.)

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
voltron

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 04:59:59 PM »

I've had so many experiences with movies I liked when I was younger, but was dissappinted with later on, that it's not even funny. I guess the best example would be Don't Go In The Woods. Loved it when I was younger but when I rewatched it years later I wondered what drugs I was on for liking it. Pieces was like that for me too. I remember seeing Ghostbusters when I was a kid in the theatre, but it turned out to be a bore as I got older. I'm sure there's quite a few more, but I really can't think of 'em right now.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 10:31:46 PM »

I can't think of any titles, but there are plenty of movies I loved as a kid and into my teens that did not seem as cool or well made on viewing much later. The strange thing is, what they lose in magic, for me, is usually made up in nostalgia and an ironic enjoyment of seeing just how cheesy they really are. I think any movie that has ever stood up to repeat viewings still does for me, although not always for the same reasons.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 12:44:10 AM »

As a 9-year old I loved Flash Gordon in the theaters.  Now, as a 38-year old, it's positively stupid.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 07:28:02 AM »

As a 9-year old I loved Flash Gordon in the theaters.  Now, as a 38-year old, it's positively stupid.

Bluesad [Sings sadly and disappointed to himself: "FLASH AAAAHHH!!"]

Now I feel better!  TeddyR

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
Hammock Rider

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 11:35:30 AM »

When I was a kid I used to eat up all the old Peplum and Martial Art movies that used to run on the UHF channels back then. They seemed wild and exotic and exciting. Nowadays they are fun to pick on and have their nostalgia value but they don't transport me briefly to another world like they did more than 30 years ago.

Obviously they can't because I've grown up. A guy in a papier mache' lizard mask isn't going to blow my mind these days. That's fine, I figure this is all naturally symptomatic of growing up. I guess it's like how sports like baseball lose their allure for some once you grow up and realize that the pros aren't playing for the same reasons you did as a kid and that it's now more of a business than anything else. Rotten reality! Hatred

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Movies That Lost Their Magic For You « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.