Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:50:16 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Movies That Lost Their Magic For You « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Movies That Lost Their Magic For You  (Read 7244 times)
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 01:14:16 AM »

Actually, I've got the perfect film for this.

FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF. Like any good child of the '80s, I loved this film. I can't watch it anymore. It really just annoys the hell out of me.

I don't have any good reasons for it. I used to like it, now I don't.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 10:21:38 AM »

Unfortunately, most of the classic '80s movies fall into this category for me. The formula is just too dated. Comedies like Stripes, Real Genius and Animal House, while they still offer some laughs, just aren't as fun now. Of those mentioned, The Goonies, Top Gun, and The Last Starfighter all are almost too cheesy to watch. I showed The Goonies to my daughter, thinking it would still be as much fun now as it was then, and, well, it wasn't, and she wasn't very impressed. I still enjoyed Flash (AAAAaaaa!) Gordon despite the horrible effects and royal Limburger script.

I was surprised that Commando didn't hold up as well as I thought it would. I remembered it as being much more coherent than it actually is. And Bennett is still the gayest villain I've ever seen in an action movie.

And not to bring up bad memories for Andrew (and others), but I remember at least being fascinated by The Dark Backward when I first saw it. Now, it's pretty boring and disgusting. And bad.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2010, 11:05:01 PM »

Singin in the rain, used to love it, now i just don't like it.

yeah no.
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 12:25:29 PM »

I really didn't want to be the first to say this (ok, maybe a little) but...

Star Wars.

I'm an 80s kid too. I watched TESB and ROTJ so many times I still can't look at a plastic baseball bat without thinking 'lightsaber.' The thing is...the Luke v Vader deuls look a bit childish.

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
Jack Slater
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 02:42:58 AM »

interesting thread idea.....

I'll jump on the Ernest bandwagon. Loved those's as a kid even went to see one at the theatre for my 10th Birthday party.

Others hmmm

more recent.

Ocean's Elevan - Had me for one viewing.
The Usual Suspects - Has Lost its steam.
Gladiator - Sort of acts like a rollercoaster ride. Up and down, up and down.
Terminator 2 - More of a Love/Hate relationship. Right now, I love it.
Resevior Dogs - Still like it mind you, just not nearly as much.
Run Lola Run - Feels gimmicky now.
Face/off - I remember when I thought this was the bomb. Not so much now.

from my youth.

Big - it's aight.
Pee Wee - Can't beileve I liked this movie.
Wizard - I might still like it, okay.
Explorers - Very enjoyable first half.
Ladyhawke - watched this recently, it was excruciating. tons of potential and I love Donner.
Superman III (1983) & Superman IV: The Quest for Peace - Double wammy. Part III has it's moments to be honest.
Kaseykockroach
Cartoon Enthusiast and Muppet Fanatic
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2011, 07:16:25 AM »

The Abrams/Zucker parody films are only funny the first one or two times.

Closetshipper.deviantart.com

"You wanna be a genius, it's easy. All you gotta say is, everything stinks. Then you're never wrong."
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2011, 08:38:05 AM »

Willow
Ladyhawke
Enemymine
Short Circuit
Batteries Not Included

I just find these films quite dull now and the characters really annoying and that is after not seeing them for at least 15 years or so. I did get the odd fuzzy feeling of nostalgia, but it wasn't as strong as when I re-watched Flight Of The Navigator or The Goonies (which I cried at the end of!). It pains me to list 80s films in particular but I grew up with those ones and watched them the most. I guess that's why I have this phobia of watching films I like too many times in-case I get sick of them.

Jack Slater
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2011, 12:34:18 AM »

Willow
Enemymine
Short Circuit

Willow and Enemy Mine, I still very much like. Short Circuit on the other hand would be another one for me. I recent tried to watch this and it failed to capture me. I think I got about 20 minutes into it and preceeded to turn it off, good call.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2011, 07:54:14 PM »

Watching a really good movie over and over is like looking at a fine painting, the object doesn't change, but perhaps you discover new things about it each time you look. Perhaps the viewer changes. 
THE HAUNTING (1963) is a film that I still think is the best Ghost story movie ever made.  If this film doesn't work for you at least once - the first time you view it - you are jaded and need to exercise your innate ability for empathy. 

That being said, as I've pointed out at least twice, I've seen this classic so many times that it's threadbare in parts: RICHARD JOHNSON's pedestrian performance (yet another straight-arrow bore)... and some of the lines he delivers... like when his character's wife disappears into Hill House and he talks about "ripping the place apart" and later says something like "then we'll have the police here and really have trouble!!"    Lookingup  Uhmm, oh forget it. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Kaseykockroach
Cartoon Enthusiast and Muppet Fanatic
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2011, 02:58:46 PM »

Blues Brothers (1981)- I used to love it as a kid, but nowadays, it comes off as the only thing it really offers is the car chases and music. It's slow, self-indulgent, and not very funny. It's not a bad movie, it's just been blown out of proportion by the nostalgia fetishists (as usual). I have similar feelings on Princess Bride, a perfectly okay comedy mistakenly hailed as anything more.
I wish I could enjoy it as much as I used to. Who knows, maybe it'll grow back on me. -shrugs-
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 03:03:34 PM by Kaseykockroach » Logged

Closetshipper.deviantart.com

"You wanna be a genius, it's easy. All you gotta say is, everything stinks. Then you're never wrong."
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Movies That Lost Their Magic For You « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.