Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:43:04 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 162
Author Topic: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?  (Read 620174 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1905 on: August 01, 2012, 02:28:07 PM »

Have I mentioned watchers on EBay...yeah, f-them.

I had a guy make a $10 purchase at the beginning of last month and he STILL hasn't paid.  Jerk.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #1906 on: August 01, 2012, 08:04:51 PM »

Me, I'm a social critter.  Love to talk to anyone about anything.
Key word there is "about."
Small Talk by definition is pointless banter.  It's goal is not to communicate anything directly.  It does serve to express friendliness, I suppose, but that can be communicated via non-verbal clues, or, uh, just saying directly something like "I'm not going to attack you, I want to be friends."   Smile
I have for the past couple of months been fascinated by the notion of what we (humans) must look like to aliens orbiting the earth.  An image of nattering birds comes to mind....we sit around and make (apparently) incomprehensible noises at each other.  Once it's translated as "language," it's no less pointless because it's not communicating anything.  I'm talking about watching a room full of people in knots of 2 or 3 just yammering on...
"Talking" as a social function is pretty useless.  It's also harmless, so if one enjoys it that's fine.  The problem arises for those of us that do not enjoy it, and are often (explicitly or implicitly) denigrated for not liking "small talk."
The other alien image I had recently came while trying to negotiate my way to the proper gate at a busy airport.  "We must look like ants scurrying on an anthill," I thought.  It was, in a way, surreal.
I have no patience for small talk and am too often surrounded by it. 

Have I mentioned watchers on EBay...yeah, f-them.
Why would that make you angry?  Watchers often turn into bidders.  I watch auctions every week!  
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 08:08:04 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #1907 on: August 01, 2012, 09:44:33 PM »

Not through my expirence ahd

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #1908 on: August 02, 2012, 06:45:41 PM »

Not through my expirence ahd
I am always glad to have watchers.  It means people are interested in your listings.  Sure, it can be disappointing when an item doesn't sell.   Still, it's better to have people looking rather than NOT looking. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1909 on: August 02, 2012, 08:04:24 PM »

Netflix. For all the technological advancement we've seen since the days of renting VHS tapes, I'm still having the same problems.

Netflix is not subject to most of the limitations of a physical video store. Limited shelf space is not a problem. There is no need to make room for new titles, free up display space or remove damaged movies. There is no need for anyone to even make a physical tape or disc. There is no technological reason why there could not be a vast selection of movies that just keeps growing.

But I'm seeing the exact same thing that used to bother me when renting from my local video store 20 years ago. I know a title is there. I've seen it listed many times. I finally feel like watching it... and it's gone. Netflix keeps doing this to me. Presumably, it's because not enough people were watching the movie. That was frustrating but understandable in the days of VHS, when there was only so much display space in the store, when whole shelves had to be devoted to multiple copies of new releases, and an unrented tape took up valuable real estate. That's all in the past. Now, getting rid of a movie because it isn't rented all the time is about as logical as never keeping any food in your house that you don't feel like eating every day.

I'm sure licencing is the culprit. It still costs money to make the movie available, even if nobody watches it. One more example of how the entertainment industry is messing up great new technologies by clinging to the same old way of doing business.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #1910 on: August 03, 2012, 12:32:27 AM »

My brain is really irritating me- Fully awake and alert at 2:30 A.M.! when I should be sleeping! Hatred Oh, and I make stupid mistakes that my brain said is a-okay! Lookingup

yeah no.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1911 on: August 03, 2012, 05:27:04 AM »

I'm sure licencing is the culprit. It still costs money to make the movie available, even if nobody watches it. One more example of how the entertainment industry is messing up great new technologies by clinging to the same old way of doing business.

I get a lot of enquiries asking for SA films that are not available (even though we have them on 35mm or 16mm here) and I get the blame because "I am withholding the film from release".  Question

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1912 on: August 03, 2012, 12:15:03 PM »

As a Christian it really ticks me off to run across other so-called Christians who are the "better-than-you","holier-than-you" type. Looking down their nose at you and acting like you just aren't good enough. I wasn't raised that way and I don't understand it.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1913 on: August 03, 2012, 12:30:56 PM »

I get a lot of enquiries asking for SA films that are not available (even though we have them on 35mm or 16mm here) and I get the blame because "I am withholding the film from release".  Question

And all because there are people who make it needlessly complicated and expensive to make the movie available, just to ensure they get every penny that's coming to them. All well and good, except that people who want to legally view or show the movie - and pay for it - are prevented from doing so. Bit of a dog-in-a-manger situation when it comes to the less-popular titles.

And it just annoys me that technology has made it possible to watch whatever you want whenever you want, and I'm still running into the same problem I've always had with television or bricks-and-mortar video stores - things I like get pulled because they aren't popular enough. But this time, there is no good reason. Having limited shelf space or a limited broadcast schedule, choices have to be made. Those limitations have been overcome, and the problem still exists.

---------------------
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #1914 on: August 03, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »

I really hate a person on twitter who worships Justin Bieber as a savor in music. Lookingup
I saw a tweet where she said that Justin Bieber made Christianity relevant again. Lookingup Lookingup Lookingup The amount of fail and middle fingers raised is too high.
The person's name is Amanda Bieber (I don't think there's ANY relationship to JB.

yeah no.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1915 on: August 03, 2012, 07:25:15 PM »

I wasn't raised that way and I don't understand it.

That just about sums up all religious prejudice/snobbery/ignorance for me. No offence meant, I'm not trying to be an antagonistic atheist jerk but those eleven words are just perfect. It shall be my new "psychological bullet" for all the bigots.  TeddyR
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 07:38:07 PM by Circus Circus » Logged

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1916 on: August 03, 2012, 07:32:16 PM »

Are you applying them to Tracy or to the people she was talking about?

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1917 on: August 03, 2012, 07:38:57 PM »

Neither.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1918 on: August 03, 2012, 07:55:40 PM »

You have to admit, when you take that sentence on it's own, it does sound ironically like the mantra of the judgmental holier-than-thou types she was talking about.

Myself, being pretty moderate in matters of religion, I get frustrated by both the smug, superior bible-thumping types and snide, bitter and equally smug atheist types, because I think both sides are wrong, both are too pushy with what they believe, both can be thoughtlessly cruel in what they say, and both do a lot of damage to institutions I care about. Really, aside from whether they believe in God, I can't see much difference between them at all.

---------------------
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1919 on: August 03, 2012, 08:00:01 PM »

You have to admit, when you take that sentence on it's own, it does sound ironically like the mantra of the judgmental holier-than-thou types she was talking about.

Myself, being pretty moderate in matters of religion, I get frustrated by both the smug, superior bible-thumping types and snide, bitter and equally smug atheist types, because I think both sides are wrong, both are too pushy with what they believe, both can be thoughtlessly cruel in what they say, and both do a lot of damage to institutions I care about. Really, aside from whether they believe in God, I can't see much difference between them at all.

I hope someone pulls me up sometime if I ever come on here and say "this is wrong, wrong, wrong because I am an atheist. I just like the fact that I can see the bigger picture (most of the time) and try to treat people as humans who make mistakes rather than feel the need to condemn them because of the picture somebody has painted in my head.

Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 162
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.