Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:23:33 AM
713326 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 162
Author Topic: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?  (Read 624266 times)
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #345 on: August 27, 2010, 06:24:09 AM »

I think the problem with the news is that they care more about ratings, than keeping you informed. The truth doesn't matter when the majority of people watch your news network.

If that was true then the news will be reporting the news based upon whom could get the most information first, the most shocking first or whatever before the other news sources (i.e. the ratings game) therefore it'll never sound like propaganda.

The NEWS (today) they are trying to mold history, swiftly!  They are too busy trying to become history, they don’t care if Obama was a good leader, global warming is real or 1,000 troops die in combat…  all they want is to become part of history. Unfortunately for the NEWS, the people has the power of the Internet to check any/all resources and often times we find the news isn’t reporting with an open mind, they have an agenda and some of their issues are either wrong or half truth.

So we are questing the NEWS and this is the real problem. Therefore the news becomes a propaganda machine because they are busy protecting their reputation. And it’s all about their reputation, because if the people don’t trust or believe in the news/reporters then they don’t have the soapbox to stand.

I agree with what your saying, but there is a big competition between the news networks for ratings and its not all based on who gets the stories first, a lot of it is about how sensational they can make these stories. Just look at Fox news, they are the most biased network on television and are always getting caught for false information, but they get the highest ratings. People don't what the truth anymore, they want scandals, lies, sensational stories, what ever makes them feel riled up and angry at the world.

Smells like popcorn and shame
Skull
« Reply #346 on: August 27, 2010, 09:34:26 AM »

I think the problem with the news is that they care more about ratings, than keeping you informed. The truth doesn't matter when the majority of people watch your news network.

If that was true then the news will be reporting the news based upon whom could get the most information first, the most shocking first or whatever before the other news sources (i.e. the ratings game) therefore it'll never sound like propaganda.

The NEWS (today) they are trying to mold history, swiftly!  They are too busy trying to become history, they don’t care if Obama was a good leader, global warming is real or 1,000 troops die in combat…  all they want is to become part of history. Unfortunately for the NEWS, the people has the power of the Internet to check any/all resources and often times we find the news isn’t reporting with an open mind, they have an agenda and some of their issues are either wrong or half truth.

So we are questing the NEWS and this is the real problem. Therefore the news becomes a propaganda machine because they are busy protecting their reputation. And it’s all about their reputation, because if the people don’t trust or believe in the news/reporters then they don’t have the soapbox to stand.

I agree with what your saying, but there is a big competition between the news networks for ratings and its not all based on who gets the stories first, a lot of it is about how sensational they can make these stories. Just look at Fox news, they are the most biased network on television and are always getting caught for false information, but they get the highest ratings. People don't what the truth anymore, they want scandals, lies, sensational stories, what ever makes them feel riled up and angry at the world.

Nothing new...

"Fatty" Arbuckle was destroyed because the scandle kept selling papers even though it was all lies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roscoe_Arbuckle
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #347 on: August 27, 2010, 09:39:31 AM »

You've got a point there. Additionally, people want news that agrees with them. If they hate Obama, they want news that hates Obama as well, just like the Bush haters sought news that hated Bush. People are so enslaved by their so-called opinions that they will ignore any fact that does not support their beliefs. I would bet that if I concocted a well written chain email that sounded authoritative that claimed it provided proof that Obama was born in another country, but was completely made-up, that the birthers would be wetting themselves trying to get it out to as many people as possible as quickly as possible without even thinking about verifying if the information was factual (I'm tempted to try this experiment). I use them as an example, but I'm not trying to pick on their ignorance exclusively, it's epidemic amongst the majority of Americans these days. I receive about one rhetoric-filled email a week on average, and I would not be exaggerating to say that half of them are so easily debunked with just a few minutes of Internet research that it's not even funny, yet people forward them along without even the slightest thought of checking it out first. Why? Because it echos some belief of theirs, and who wants to admit that their beliefs might not be supported by fact?

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
3mnkids

« Reply #348 on: August 27, 2010, 11:24:14 AM »

I receive about one rhetoric-filled email a week on average, and I would not be exaggerating to say that half of them are so easily debunked with just a few minutes of Internet research that it's not even funny, yet people forward them along without even the slightest thought of checking it out first. Why? Because it echos some belief of theirs, and who wants to admit that their beliefs might not be supported by fact?

I have a friend who was always sending me those stupid emails. Leading up to the election it got crazy...several a week of the most hate filled, ridiculous BS I had ever heard.    Lookingup  It got so bad it almost ruined our friendship. After replying with a link to snopes every.single.time. she sent me something she eventually stopped doing it.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Jim H

« Reply #349 on: August 27, 2010, 01:05:52 PM »

I receive about one rhetoric-filled email a week on average, and I would not be exaggerating to say that half of them are so easily debunked with just a few minutes of Internet research that it's not even funny, yet people forward them along without even the slightest thought of checking it out first. Why? Because it echos some belief of theirs, and who wants to admit that their beliefs might not be supported by fact?

I have a friend who was always sending me those stupid emails. Leading up to the election it got crazy...several a week of the most hate filled, ridiculous BS I had ever heard.    Lookingup  It got so bad it almost ruined our friendship. After replying with a link to snopes every.single.time. she sent me something she eventually stopped doing it.

There's a lady in our neighborhood who does that.  Eventually, she said "This one is confirmed by Snopes!", which was sort of true.  Hers were the "This will KILL YOU!" type story, and the one that was sort of true was so unlikely that there was only one documented case of it happening EVER.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #350 on: August 29, 2010, 09:48:55 PM »

people who always talk to themselves that says "why do these people live here?" f**k YOU, New Orleans is an IMPORTANT city that has actual HISTORY and it also brings in goods from the Caribbean, South America, Africa, and the occasional Germany. But here's my question: If  you dislike my city, then WHY IN THE FRIGGEN HELL ARE YOU IN IT?

yeah no.
BTM

« Reply #351 on: August 30, 2010, 01:16:26 AM »

I hate it when I'm in the middle of doing something on the comp and it just stops. 

Not crashes, mind you, a crash would be something, I could just hit the reset and (usually) be okay. 

But it does this, "We're sloooooowing down to almost nothing."  Trick.  Sometimes, as if to further mock you, you can still move the mouse around, but nothing else seems to work.  It's like, "Ahhh.. dammit, nothing's happening, but the mouse is still moving!"

So, you hit the close button to try and shut down a few things, thinking that'll help, but nothing happens.  You hit the "show desktop" button, and sometimes work (or not.)  Other times it'll work, but it still has the image of whatever you just had up instead of the actual desktop (screen hasn't refreshed).  And then when (if) it finally goes into gear all the minimizing, closing, switching that you just did occurs in a blindly rapid succession.

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #352 on: August 30, 2010, 02:45:31 PM »

I really hate it when people lack the rudimentary sense to look, at least roughly, in the direction they are walking. Earlier today I was about to turn a corner in my office building, and this guy came barreling around the corner and ran right into me. Was he looking somewhere in the vicinity of where he was going? Of course not. No, his head was turned almost 180 degrees the other way. Then he looked at me as if to say I should have been looking out for him. If you had been at least cognizant of the corner you were about to turn and, maybe, oh I don't know, not walking at a near-run, we may have avoided slamming into each other, jackass.

I do see this odd behavior way more often than would seem logical, people walking, with their head turned, sometimes behind them, completely not even looking in the direction they're walking. I can understand people being a little distracted sometimes, but that's ridiculous. You would think natural selection would thin the herd a bit more.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
claws
« Reply #353 on: August 30, 2010, 03:20:54 PM »

I do see this odd behavior way more often than would seem logical, people walking, with their head turned, sometimes behind them, completely not even looking in the direction they're walking. I can understand people being a little distracted sometimes, but that's ridiculous. You would think natural selection would thin the herd a bit more.

That's a bad habit of mine but I don't turn my head, I'm usually looking at the floor. Why I do that I don't know. So far I've only had a few near run-ins because I spot the person's feet walking in my direction mostly on time, but I always apologize and never blame the other for the startling inconvenience  Bluesad
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #354 on: August 30, 2010, 04:40:21 PM »

E-Mail Forwards! Oh thanks, just wanted I always wanted---a chain e-mail?! Thumbdown Worst of all I often get them from family. Sure a few are actually funny once in a blue moon but mostly it's people freaking out over stuff that's complete and utter nonsense or B.S. which they'd usually figure out for themselves if they didn't believe every bogus chain e-mail sent their way. Lookingup

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #355 on: August 31, 2010, 06:59:30 AM »

Graffiti.  Its one thing to spray a beautiful mural on a blank wall in an uninhabited building with permission. Its another thing to spray a bunch of crap on a private property vandalizing. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #356 on: August 31, 2010, 01:03:29 PM »

Relatives who impose too much and expect too much. I'm sorry but no, I can't drop everything in my life to do you a favor even if you expect I can. I don't mind someone coming to visit for a reasonable stay but when someone stays eating off of you for weeks at a time and offers nothing in way of help either monetary or just helping prepare and clean things away, well that's not going to make me look forward to seeing you again.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
3mnkids

« Reply #357 on: August 31, 2010, 11:46:39 PM »

Reading netflix reviews and seeing the inevitable "worse movie ever!" how many worse movies ever are there? Thousands apparently.  Lookingup 

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
BTM

« Reply #358 on: September 01, 2010, 01:02:28 AM »

Boards with annonymous ratings systems.  

I ocassionally go over to another forum where I post stuff, but not too often cause the board there isn't quite as friendly as this one.  I mean, here, with the exception of one or two people (won't name names), everyone, even those who disagree with each other, tend to be polite and civil.  

Other places it can be a different story.

At this one board they have something similar to the karma system over here (applaud and smite). You get a number rating based on how many times each have been done to you (applaud is one point, smite is a negative point).  Thing of it is, unlike here, you don't have to give a reason (or even your name) for why you're adding to subtracting a point from someone, you can just do it willy nilly once a day to a single person for any or no reason.  

In fairness, you do have to be registered on the board and have made so many postings befor eyou get the option to rate other people's works, but still.  Post an intelligent, well thought out opinion that people don't like?   You can get docked.  Post a witty comment that others didn't find funny for no particular reason?  Bam, you get hammered.  In general, people on the internet are more likely to be negative than positive, often just for the fact that hiding behind a computer screen seems to embolden the Jerk Within, so a system like this is rife with people docking karma simply because they can.

I can't help but think that sometimes the numbers become less about how substainal your post are and more of a big popularity contest.  Say the right things, make the right "friend" and boom you get a big number.  (Neatly enough the forum mods all have large positive scores, but I'm sure that's pure coincidence.)

On this  other board, I've made about 55 posts, and my current score is about -17.  I know, I shouldn't let silly stuff like this bother me, but it freaking does, especially when I leave for several days, come back only to find my score is even lower, even though I haven't posted anything in awhile.  Hatred
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 11:45:10 AM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #359 on: September 01, 2010, 05:45:56 PM »

Boards with annonymous ratings systems.  

I ocassionally go over to another forum where I post stuff, but not too often cause the board there isn't quite as friendly as this one.  I mean, here, with the exception of one or two people (won't name names), everyone, even those who disagree with each other, tend to be polite and civil.  

Other places it can be a different story.

At this one board they have something similar to the karma system over here (applaud and smite). You get a number rating based on how many times each have been done to you (applaud is one point, smite is a negative point).  Thing of it is, unlike here, you don't have to give a reason (or even your name) for why you're adding to subtracting a point from someone, you can just do it willy nilly once a day to a single person for any or no reason.  

In fairness, you do have to be registered on the board and have made so many postings befor eyou get the option to rate other people's works, but still.  Post an intelligent, well thought out opinion that people don't like?   You can get docked.  Post a witty comment that others didn't find funny for no particular reason?  Bam, you get hammered.  In general, people on the internet are more likely to be negative than positive, often just for the fact that hiding behind a computer screen seems to embolden the Jerk Within, so a system like this is rife with people docking karma simply because they can.

I can't help but think that sometimes the numbers become less about how substainal your post are and more of a big popularity contest.  Say the right things, make the right "friend" and boom you get a big number.  (Neatly enough the forum mods all have large positive scores, but I'm sure that's pure coincidence.)

On this  other board, I've made about 55 posts, and my current score is about -17.  I know, I shouldn't let silly stuff like this bother me, but it freaking does, especially when I leave for several days, come back only to find my score is even lower, even though I haven't posted anything in awhile.  Hatred

Ah yes, the anonymous rating system (which is the reason why I ultimately decided to leave the web community centering on a certain popular team of reviewers). I personally see the idea of rating a person down without giving a reason as being cowardly and destructive to the whole idea of a community. It's like "okay, you gave me thumbs down...why? I want to know so that I can either avoid it in the future or figure out that you're just being a jerk, but I GUESS I'LL NEVER KNOW NOW, WILL I?!"
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 162
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.