Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:47:36 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 162
Author Topic: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?  (Read 620040 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #435 on: September 16, 2010, 10:17:06 AM »

Listen, I worked almost 10 years in retail during my high school/college years mostly.  I know the job sucks.  Nor am I'm  not going to claim to have been the best employee of all the time but at least I don't do a good majority of the atrocities I've seen in stores lately.  

I know what you mean, I've had to deal with a lot of crappy service people in various circumstances.  They don't seem to teach them the basics anymore, like saying, "I'll be right with you, sir." when you're second in line behind someone who's taking a long time, or being polite to a person who's placing an order in the drive through (after all, you're supposed to, in theory, want them to come back.)

Now, corollary to that though, whenever I'm at the store and the guy or gal in the department has been really helpful to me, I make it a point to seek out a manager and tell them by name how kind the clerk was, because I know that people, by nature, are far more likely to complain about bad service than they are to compliment about good service.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 03:16:28 PM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
BTM

« Reply #436 on: September 16, 2010, 10:21:38 AM »

Honestly, I hate being compelled to interact with people who engage me because it's polite. Imagine how I feel about being confronted every single time by somebody who does it because it's in his job description. I can pull out my own cart, thank you. If I need any assistance, I'll ask somebody. And if I think you honestly give a damn how I'm doing, I'll tell you. Now get out of my way.

Andy, I really hate to say this, but do you ever think that maybe you're just an angry person at times?  I mean, I don't know you personally, but didn't you also say in another post that you hate it when people at social gatherings try and draw you into the conversation?  I mean, do all forms of friendly interaction bother you? 

Like I said, I don't know, just something maybe to think about.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #437 on: September 16, 2010, 11:07:19 AM »

Honestly, I hate being compelled to interact with people who engage me because it's polite. Imagine how I feel about being confronted every single time by somebody who does it because it's in his job description. I can pull out my own cart, thank you. If I need any assistance, I'll ask somebody. And if I think you honestly give a damn how I'm doing, I'll tell you. Now get out of my way.

Andy, I really hate to say this, but do you ever think that maybe you're just an angry person at times?  I mean, I don't know you personally, but didn't you also say in another post that you hate it when people at social gatherings try and draw you into the conversation?  I mean, do all forms of friendly interaction bother you? 

Like I said, I don't know, just something maybe to think about.

I'M NOT AN ANGRY PERSON, YOU BASTARD! YOU TAKE THAT BACK!  TeddyR

Seriously, if you go by what I post in a thread about what p**ses me off, I probably do sound like an angry person.

I don't hate it when people try to draw me into things. That's just being kind and attentive, recognizing someone who might be socially awkward and accommodating him. I appreciate that. It's the people who make it their mission, who think everyone has to be actively involved to enjoy themselves. If I've given them plenty of polite cues that I have nothing to add to the conversation, and I'm happy just to listen, they should accept that. Persisting with it is just going to make me feel uncomfortable, like I'm being picked on for being different.

I love a good conversation when the opportunity arises. I enjoy bumping into people I know. What I don't like is when conversation feels compulsory, when I feel like I have to speak when I have nothing to say or risk making someone I barely know uncomfortable. That makes me uncomfortable, only my discomfort is wrong, by anything I've been told.

I do agree to some extent though. I get a chance to build up a lot more steam when something is bothering me, because I don't want to be rude by making a fuss, which just p**ses me off more, as though it's an imposition and not a choice I made. I think if you go out of your way to avoid offending people who do not reciprocate to the same high degree, eventually it feels like they're taking advantage of you. I could almost apply that to Canada in general.

I remember John Cleese explaining the inspiration for Basil Fawlty in the difficulty the English have in asserting themselves, which leads them to develop a sort of brittle politeness over a lot of seething rage. Canadians are like that too, I think.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #438 on: September 16, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »

I remember John Cleese explaining the inspiration for Basil Fawlty in the difficulty the English have in asserting themselves, which leads them to develop a sort of brittle politeness over a lot of seething rage. Canadians are like that too, I think.

And how. Get some of us going about some of the touchier subjects out there (eg- racism in Canada), and you may see a decidedly less pleasant side that would be much more pleasant if it was acknowledged and actually dealt with.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #439 on: September 16, 2010, 08:06:16 PM »

Now, corollary to that though, whenever I'm at the store and the guy or gal in the department has been really helpful to me, I make it a point to seek out a manager and tell them by name how kind the clerk was, because I know that people, by nature, are far more likely to complain about bad service than they are to compliment about good service.

I'm right there with you. I'm personally a letter writer and believe me I can make people shine or generally look like crap.  I don't really talk to the store managers though, I go to corporate who generally seems to care more.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
BTM

« Reply #440 on: September 17, 2010, 01:45:10 AM »

I'M NOT AN ANGRY PERSON, YOU BASTARD! YOU TAKE THAT BACK!  TeddyR

Seriously, if you go by what I post in a thread about what p**ses me off, I probably do sound like an angry person.

Well, that's a good point, the thread is about stuff that annoys us.  

It's just you know, maybe I misread/misunderstood what you're saying, but it sounded a bit like, "Er... me hate it when people GREET me!  Stop that!"  Hehehe!  

Course, maybe it's different in the stores you go to.  In the Wal-Mart I visit for instance, the greeter just says, "Hello!" and maybe, "How you doing?" and that's about it.  I say, "Fine, thanks!" and go about my merry.  I could see though where someone being a bit more... persistent might be a bit teeth rattling.

I remember one time I went to a Best Buy and I guess they train their employees to constantly be wondering around going, "Hi, can I help you find anything?"  I swear, I got asked that question about four times within the first half hour of me wondering around looking at all the gadgets.  Me being a bit paranoid at times, I can't help but it seemed less like they were wanting to be helpful as maybe they were worried I was a shoplifter or something.  

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #441 on: September 17, 2010, 08:07:42 AM »

I remember one time I went to a Best Buy and I guess they train their employees to constantly be wondering around going, "Hi, can I help you find anything?"  I swear, I got asked that question about four times within the first half hour of me wondering around looking at all the gadgets.  Me being a bit paranoid at times, I can't help but it seemed less like they were wanting to be helpful as maybe they were worried I was a shoplifter or something.  

No, they're just on commission.

---------------------
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #442 on: September 17, 2010, 10:44:49 AM »

Hence why I prefer to find whatever I'm looking for myself; once you accept their offer for help, they won't leave you alone. Also why I won't work for commission; give me a flat pay or I'll find a job elsewhere.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #443 on: September 17, 2010, 10:51:16 AM »

Me being a bit paranoid at times, I can't help but it seemed less like they were wanting to be helpful as maybe they were worried I was a shoplifter or something.  

Maybe you WERE a shoplifter and just didn't realize it.   TeddyR  TeddyR

Those ones that don't take "no" for an answer grind my gears as well.  I don't mind them asking if they can help me find something, but when I say "no," that should also suffice for the next 15 minutes.  On more than one occasion, instead of just saying no, I've taken to saying, "not right now, but if I DO need something, I'll come get you."  That seems to help keep them at bay a bit longer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #444 on: September 17, 2010, 10:54:43 AM »

Me being a bit paranoid at times, I can't help but it seemed less like they were wanting to be helpful as maybe they were worried I was a shoplifter or something.  

Those ones that don't take "no" for an answer grind my gears as well.  I don't mind them asking if they can help me find something, but when I say "no," that should also suffice for the next 15 minutes.  On more than one occasion, instead of just saying no, I've taken to saying, "not right now, but if I DO need something, I'll come get you."  That seems to help keep them at bay a bit longer.

That's because in commission sales environments, if they're not bugging you, their manager will come by and ask them "are you helping that person over there?" I know from experience. You may not see it happening, but trust me, if you're being asked if you need help more than once, you can rest assured that your presence is being watched by more than one person. Just to help you all be more paranoid when you're shopping.  TeddyR

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #445 on: September 17, 2010, 01:12:30 PM »

That's a good approach. Works for me.

One really bad experience I had with pushy store staff was at a Radio Shack (now "The Source" in Canada). I went in looking for a universal remote. I walked straight over to the display of universal remotes. I started comparing them and reading the handy specs posted right there with the prices. I barely begin doing this, and somebody is at my side. "Can I help you find anything?"

I've obviously found what I'm looking for, I'm doing just fine making a selection, and he is actually hindering me, not helping. But I give him a "No thanks. I'm good." and resume what I'm doing.....for maybe 15 seconds before another guy came along. This was a tiny store in a mall and there were at least four guys working. You could see practically everything in the store from the entrance, but they were persistent in helping me find what was right in front of me. I was holding the remote I probably would have bought, and if this second guy would go away and let me read the box, I could confirm it. That time, my answer was just "No."

When the third guy in the space of less than two minutes walked up and tried to "help," I announced, loudly enough for the whole store to hear, "If you people won't stop bugging me and let me shop in peace, I'm going to find a store where they will!" Then I put down the box and marched out of there, shooting a dirty look at the manager on the way.

The irony is that even when that happened, it had been years since Radio Shack employed anyone in their stores who knew enough about what they were selling to offer any help. I still don't shop at The Source today, unless it is absolutely unavoidable. Hate that store. Too many bad shopping experiences, all related to staff who were either pushy, unprofessional or completely clueless. From what experience I've had with Best Buy, at least I can say that they will give me space if I ask for it, and they do seem to know their products.

On a similar note, I've had some really aggressive telemarketers call lately. They start their pitch and don't stop, and trying to interrupt only makes them talk faster and louder. I don't think anything bugs me as much as that deliberate effort not to let me get a word in. And it is just bad business practice. I'm the guy they want as a customer. The last thing they should be doing is talking to me like I'm not even here and what I want doesn't matter. I've had a few who manage to segue into a whole new sales pitch every time I say no, but at least I'm getting to say no, they're working for my attention, and I feel like they really want to convince me of something, not just shove their information at me any way they can. Either way, if they don't take no for an answer, I hang up on them. Then the buggers call back, either as if nothing happened, or acting as though they got cut off accidentally. Thankfully a second immediate hangup puts an end to it every time.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 01:17:23 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
Skull
« Reply #446 on: September 17, 2010, 01:30:29 PM »

That's because in commission sales environments, if they're not bugging you, their manager will come by and ask them "are you helping that person over there?" I know from experience. You may not see it happening, but trust me, if you're being asked if you need help more than once, you can rest assured that your presence is being watched by more than one person. Just to help you all be more paranoid when you're shopping.  TeddyR

hehe Dont forget these guys on the ceiling :)
3mnkids

« Reply #447 on: September 17, 2010, 02:03:58 PM »

On a similar note, I've had some really aggressive telemarketers call lately. They start their pitch and don't stop, and trying to interrupt only makes them talk faster and louder. I don't think anything bugs me as much as that deliberate effort not to let me get a word in. And it is just bad business practice. I'm the guy they want as a customer. The last thing they should be doing is talking to me like I'm not even here and what I want doesn't matter. I've had a few who manage to segue into a whole new sales pitch every time I say no, but at least I'm getting to say no, they're working for my attention, and I feel like they really want to convince me of something, not just shove their information at me any way they can. Either way, if they don't take no for an answer, I hang up on them. Then the buggers call back, either as if nothing happened, or acting as though they got cut off accidentally. Thankfully a second immediate hangup puts an end to it every time.

True story.. I had a guy call about some kind of home heath book.. I think it was from Mens Heath magazine. Anyway, he goes into his pitch and I cut him off and say.. Im not allowed to have those kinds of books in the house. Absolute silence for a good 20 seconds so I say.. yeah, one time the kids got a rash and I looked through one of those books and convinced myself it was some weird African disease. My husband said I cant have those books in the house now.. He went.. uh, um.. okay, have a nice day. ya just gotta catch them off guard and stun them.   TeddyR

Whats really sad is I really did look through one of those books and think it was some horrible disease and yes, im not allowed to have those books in the house   Lookingup

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #448 on: September 17, 2010, 02:11:40 PM »

True story.. I had a guy call about some kind of home heath book.. I think it was from Mens Heath magazine. Anyway, he goes into his pitch and I cut him off and say.. Im not allowed to have those kinds of books in the house. Absolute silence for a good 20 seconds so I say.. yeah, one time the kids got a rash and I looked through one of those books and convinced myself it was some weird African disease. My husband said I cant have those books in the house now.. He went.. uh, um.. okay, have a nice day. ya just gotta catch them off guard and stun them.   TeddyR

Whats really sad is I really did look through one of those books and think it was some horrible disease and yes, im not allowed to have those books in the house   Lookingup

Oh man, that is true. One of the worst jobs I ever had was working for a very large cemetary and mortuary service as a telemarketer, actually trying to reach people on the phone and set appointments for representatives to try and sell funeral plots and packages. Yeah, you thought your job was bad. I lasted about three weeks and couldn't handle it anymore.

Anyway, I was dialing and this guy answers and I start going into my bit and he interupts and says "I want to have bagpipes at my funeral, can that be arranged?" I said I wasn't sure, the representative would probably be able to answer that. Then he said "well, then I want all midgets as my pallbearers, can you do that?" I was completely dead in my tracks and couldn't go on. All I could say was "have a good day, sir" and hang up.

Boy did that job suck.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Skull
« Reply #449 on: September 17, 2010, 02:39:48 PM »

Then he said "well, then I want all midgets as my pallbearers, can you do that?"

LOL... I would say sure and we'll have them dressed as dwarfs and burry you in a glass casket...

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 162
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.