Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:33:17 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 162
Author Topic: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?  (Read 619983 times)
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #450 on: September 20, 2010, 07:53:37 PM »

Those ones that don't take "no" for an answer grind my gears as well.  I don't mind them asking if they can help me find something, but when I say "no," that should also suffice for the next 15 minutes.  On more than one occasion, instead of just saying no, I've taken to saying, "not right now, but if I DO need something, I'll come get you."  That seems to help keep them at bay a bit longer.

That's a good approach. Works for me.

One really bad experience I had with pushy store staff was at a Radio Shack (now "The Source" in Canada). I went in looking for a universal remote. I walked straight over to the display of universal remotes. I started comparing them and reading the handy specs posted right there with the prices. I barely begin doing this, and somebody is at my side. "Can I help you find anything?"

I've obviously found what I'm looking for, I'm doing just fine making a selection, and he is actually hindering me, not helping. But I give him a "No thanks. I'm good." and resume what I'm doing.....for maybe 15 seconds before another guy came along. This was a tiny store in a mall and there were at least four guys working. You could see practically everything in the store from the entrance, but they were persistent in helping me find what was right in front of me. I was holding the remote I probably would have bought, and if this second guy would go away and let me read the box, I could confirm it. That time, my answer was just "No."

When the third guy in the space of less than two minutes walked up and tried to "help," I announced, loudly enough for the whole store to hear, "If you people won't stop bugging me and let me shop in peace, I'm going to find a store where they will!" Then I put down the box and marched out of there, shooting a dirty look at the manager on the way.

The irony is that even when that happened, it had been years since Radio Shack employed anyone in their stores who knew enough about what they were selling to offer any help. I still don't shop at The Source today, unless it is absolutely unavoidable. Hate that store. Too many bad shopping experiences, all related to staff who were either pushy, unprofessional or completely clueless. From what experience I've had with Best Buy, at least I can say that they will give me space if I ask for it, and they do seem to know their products.

On a similar note, I've had some really aggressive telemarketers call lately. They start their pitch and don't stop, and trying to interrupt only makes them talk faster and louder. I don't think anything bugs me as much as that deliberate effort not to let me get a word in. And it is just bad business practice. I'm the guy they want as a customer. The last thing they should be doing is talking to me like I'm not even here and what I want doesn't matter. I've had a few who manage to segue into a whole new sales pitch every time I say no, but at least I'm getting to say no, they're working for my attention, and I feel like they really want to convince me of something, not just shove their information at me any way they can. Either way, if they don't take no for an answer, I hang up on them. Then the buggers call back, either as if nothing happened, or acting as though they got cut off accidentally. Thankfully a second immediate hangup puts an end to it every time.
Look, I'm not trying to be disrespectful here, but I'm going with what the guy earlier said.  You're a bit of an angry person. 

Also somewhat of a jerk.  Which I suppose can't be said without being disrespectful.  The guys are just trying to do their job.  No reason to yell at them.  It's not like retail is a reward job as it is even when the customers aren't yelling at you. 

Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #451 on: September 20, 2010, 08:11:59 PM »

Look, I'm not trying to be disrespectful here, but I'm going with what the guy earlier said.  You're a bit of an angry person. 

Also somewhat of a jerk.  Which I suppose can't be said without being disrespectful.  The guys are just trying to do their job.  No reason to yell at them.  It's not like retail is a reward job as it is even when the customers aren't yelling at you. 

Honestly Chainsaw?   Lookingup Andy had every right to be bugged in that situation and Radio Shack is notorious for getting so far up your arse you can taste them with the "can I help you" stuff.   People don't need to hover over customers.  I recall walking into a jewelry store with my wife and having two or three people pull this stuff.  I had a similar reaction to Andy and left the store.  When I worked retail, I never pulled the hovering crap unless I thought the person was a shoplifter.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #452 on: September 20, 2010, 09:34:25 PM »

Honestly Chainsaw?   Lookingup Andy had every right to be bugged in that situation and Radio Shack is notorious for getting so far up your arse you can taste them with the "can I help you" stuff.   People don't need to hover over customers.  I recall walking into a jewelry store with my wife and having two or three people pull this stuff.  I had a similar reaction to Andy and left the store.  When I worked retail, I never pulled the hovering crap unless I thought the person was a shoplifter.

Yep, and the specific case of it being Radio Shack is an important piece of the puzzle.  There's nothing like some 18 year old girl who has never done ANYTHING related to electronics walk up to you and ask "can I help you" and when you reply, "yes, where are your 741 Op Amps" and her going, "uh, uh, uh."

Really, if they are going to ask "Can I help you?" they better be prepared to actually HELP me.  If not, stay at the register and wait for me to come check out.

Now, that said, I will offer that one of the most knowledgeable dudes I ever encountered with regard to TV reception and tuning was at a Radio Shack, and he was really, really cool.  That's the problem with The Shack..they are (or were a few years ago) very hit and miss on the knowledge of their employees.

Seems better these days, but then again, they don't seem to be catering to the hobbyist anymore.  Bits and parts are harder and harder to find...    Lookingup

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Jim H

« Reply #453 on: September 20, 2010, 10:56:59 PM »

Yep, and the specific case of it being Radio Shack is an important piece of the puzzle.  There's nothing like some 18 year old girl who has never done ANYTHING related to electronics walk up to you and ask "can I help you" and when you reply, "yes, where are your 741 Op Amps" and her going, "uh, uh, uh."

Really, if they are going to ask "Can I help you?" they better be prepared to actually HELP me.  If not, stay at the register and wait for me to come check out.

Now, that said, I will offer that one of the most knowledgeable dudes I ever encountered with regard to TV reception and tuning was at a Radio Shack, and he was really, really cool.  That's the problem with The Shack..they are (or were a few years ago) very hit and miss on the knowledge of their employees.

Seems better these days, but then again, they don't seem to be catering to the hobbyist anymore.  Bits and parts are harder and harder to find...    Lookingup

The people in retail who do that are forced to.  It's part of their job and part of the training to annoy customers by constantly asking them if they need help.  If you don't, your manager gives you a talking to and tells you you're not doing your job, not assisting customers enough.  Same deal when they ask you like four things every time you walk into the store, trying to upsell you on crap/sell subscriptions/etc.  They get yelled at by the boss if they don't.  I know all this from personal experience. 

It's unfortunate and annoying (I find Best Buy to be one of the worst, just because they have so many employees in every store), but that's how it is, and it's rarely the low level employees fault.
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #454 on: September 20, 2010, 11:30:49 PM »

They're only forced to do it when the manager's around; otherwise you can slack off like nobody's business in retail. Mind you, there are still some stores that will fire you if you're not doing your job, so complete laziness when the manager's not around is definitely not a wise decision if you want to keep your job (at least until you can find a better one, anyway).
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #455 on: September 20, 2010, 11:49:43 PM »

You'd think that it only happens when the manager is around, but lots of places have  online surveys printed on the receipts now and one of the questions is almost always some variation of "Did anybody approach you and ask if you needed help?"

So yeah, you get the rude customers that yell at you for asking people if they need help and on the opposite end you get results in saying that you weren't asking enough people. 
3mnkids

« Reply #456 on: September 21, 2010, 09:34:48 PM »

The phrase "Im letting them soak"   Lookingup

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #457 on: September 21, 2010, 10:34:04 PM »

Letting what soak?  I've never heard that phrase before.  Sounds dirty.  Smile

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
3mnkids

« Reply #458 on: September 22, 2010, 06:20:29 AM »

Letting what soak?  I've never heard that phrase before.  Sounds dirty.  Smile

TeddyR  It is dirty.. dirty dishes.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #459 on: September 22, 2010, 11:34:51 AM »

The people in retail who do that are forced to.  It's part of their job and part of the training to annoy customers by constantly asking them if they need help.  If you don't, your manager gives you a talking to and tells you you're not doing your job, not assisting customers enough.  Same deal when they ask you like four things every time you walk into the store, trying to upsell you on crap/sell subscriptions/etc.  They get yelled at by the boss if they don't.  I know all this from personal experience.

That's exactly why I spoke loud enough to be heard and shot the manager an evil look on the way out. It's his responsibility and he's the one who needs to see it p**sing off the customers.

I can also relate to Ulthar's comments. I get annoyed when I do need help, and nobody seems to know anything about it. Usually, all I want to know is where it is. I've probably already checked online to make sure they carry it and it's in stock at that particular store. I just need to be pointed toward it. At the very least, people in retail should know what they sell and where it's kept.

But what really bugs me, and this is where Radio Shack stands out once again, is when they won't admit they don't know. Giving me the "we don't have that here" or trying to tell me some completely different product must be what I want. I've even had somebody try to convince me there was no such thing as the product I was looking for, and it turned out to be within arm's reach of the guy. Home Depot is another place I've gotten that, although lately they seem to be employing a lot more people who seem to have some building experience. Their help is usually helpful.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #460 on: September 22, 2010, 12:55:59 PM »

Remember, this is one memorable incident out of years of mostly uneventful shopping, in a thread about such things. Most places I go, one polite "no thank you" is usually enough. And what made that Radio Shack especially offensive to me was that it was a small store. Every one of those guys, including the manager, was near enough to know that I'd been served and asked politely to be left alone at least once. This was a deliberately intrusive and highly disrespectful sales practice, being pushy under the guise of being helpful, and doing it to a degree that was not only ridiculous for a store that small, but also pushier than any other store I can recall. I've had furniture salesmen give me more space to browse. Come to think of it, that particular Radio Shack accounts for a significant percentage of my most unpleasant shopping experiences.

Anyway, when I raised my voice, I did not start yelling at one guy. I made one statement, loud enough for all of them to hear, then left. The angriest thing I did was glare at the manager on the way out, which was more to drive the point home than anything else. You're not the only one who knows how the retail business works, and one of the ways they get away with being obnoxious is they have the luxury of hiding behind some poor schmuck who's just doing his job. Just because somebody's making him bother me doesn't mean I'm not justified in being bothered.

I can think of two more things that grind my gears. People who form hasty opinions based on limited information taken out of context, and people who say "no disrespect" whenever they want to say something disrespectful.

---------------------
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #461 on: September 22, 2010, 01:14:03 PM »

I understand, Andy C. Here's the thing. Sales organizations that engage in that practice do so because, despite your wish to be left alone, there are plenty of people who also say no thank you who, if they persist, will end up buying stuff that, if they had left them alone, would not have happened. It's part of the American retail experience. Pushy salespeople have been around for a long time, all the way back to the days of the carpetbaggers. That's slowly changing because now people can do so much of their shopping online to avoid that experience that companies are having to adjust their practices. The pushy salesman is a dying breed. You don't get nearly as much of that today as you did once upon a time.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #462 on: September 22, 2010, 02:16:09 PM »

I understand, Andy C. Here's the thing. Sales organizations that engage in that practice do so because, despite your wish to be left alone, there are plenty of people who also say no thank you who, if they persist, will end up buying stuff that, if they had left them alone, would not have happened. It's part of the American retail experience. Pushy salespeople have been around for a long time, all the way back to the days of the carpetbaggers. That's slowly changing because now people can do so much of their shopping online to avoid that experience that companies are having to adjust their practices. The pushy salesman is a dying breed. You don't get nearly as much of that today as you did once upon a time.

Oh, I know they wouldn't do it if it didn't work on somebody. Same with telemarketing and spam. All the more reason to let them know when it isn't working or they're just going too far with it.

Very true about online shopping. I use it for a lot of things, although mainly because most stores with any kind of selection are too far away. I'll usually buy from a local store when I can, but after that, it's just a matter of cost and timeframe whether I go to the city or order online. I should add that I get the most interaction from the staff at the local stores, but since its because they know me, they're reasonably sincere, and they give me some space to shop, I enjoy it.

---------------------
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #463 on: September 22, 2010, 05:18:13 PM »

You know, I was tempted to leave a pleasant closing remark Skull, except that you just called me and several others on this thread selfish (I think, your statement there is a little confusing).  I don't quite know how to respond to that.  So, whatever.

As an actual contribution to the thread...

The layout of the city of St. Louis.  Every direction is a trap.  There are numerous exits and streets that if you go down them, you can't go back to where you came from without literally driving for 5-10 minutes if you KNOW how to get back.  If you have to guess, you can't, as the layout was apparently designed by a mad man.  I missed my exit yesterday, took the next one I saw to turn around, and ended up spending over 20 minutes trying to find my way back. 

It sucks.

have you've seen the street layouts here in New Orleans? you'll be puzzled beyond belief! BounceGiggle

but seriously, these "new" comedy movies, esp. Spoofs, the jokes are bland and it can never seem which movie it's supposed to be spoofing, as in Epic Movie, is it Narnia, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Snakes on a plane, Borat, etc.... Hatred

yeah no.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #464 on: September 22, 2010, 05:22:10 PM »

people who type in Leet (except for LOL and LMAO) I didn't get a phone til 9th Grade and I had no clue what anything meant, like what does BRB means Question or FTW?

yeah no.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 162
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.