Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:07:57 AM
713405 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 162
Author Topic: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?  (Read 624742 times)
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2010, 07:31:33 PM »

Are we sure the Supreme Court did us a favor there?  Maybe those prayers DID do some good!

That's one of the more extreme cases of trying to use causation in place of correlation I've seen.  Why not just say the the Civil Right's Movement caused the drop in public school performance?  I think that's more likely, and the timeline lines up better.  A LOT of things happened in the late 50s into the 70s.  Single biggest cause, I believe, is the Cold War dying down.  Made education less of a priority, and funding fell dramatically.

A small note: teen pregnancy rates a couple years ago were lower than at any point in recorded American history (though to be fair, in the earliest recorded years, many of these teen mothers were in stable marriages).  To make another correlation, this drop in teen pregnancy rates (from the early 90s to the late 2000ss) coincides with a drop in the number of people who self-identify as Christian.  

I think it is equally mistaken to completely leave out the enormous impact that Christianity has had on Western Civilization - in history, culture, music, and so much more.

I can't speak for all public school education, but they did teach us about this in the public schools I attended.  We learned the beginning of Christian history in mythology class (with a rather thorough explanation of what "mythology" actually means), actually.  The historical influence in world history classes (though I have to say, our world history classes were far too brief and didn't cover enough to really be about the "world").  

Just so you know, I do not believe in teacher or administrator-led prayers in PUBLIC schools.  But I do believe students should be allowed the opportunity to have prayer time that is student led and initiated, as long as it does not interfere with instructional time.

I'm not sure what your problem with the current situation is then...?  We had prayer groups at my middle and high school (completely student led and run), and I know many schools have those groups where people pray around the flag pole or other location.  As long as it isn't involved with administration/teachers and doesn't disrupt classes, it's allowed in a public school in the USA.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_syatp.htm

Now...  As far as what grinds my gears...  

Something not too serious...  All the people in my area who don't understand, in the slightest, the right of way rules of the roads.  It's mind boggling to me, and it is worse in county I live in than most of the surrounding ones.  Another thing that irritates me: rust on guns.  My Nagant is developing a big rust spot.   Hatred

More seriously: most historical deniers.  ESPECIALLY Holocaust and Japanese atrocity deniers.  Holocaust deniers, almost universally, are just simply awful people.  It goes way beyond just "I question this evidence", and is more like, "I hate Jews and enjoy watching and thinking about people suffering".  

The world would be a better place if they were no longer a part of it.  
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 07:33:18 PM by Jim H » Logged
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2010, 09:13:57 PM »

P

When my boat doesn't start . . .

Also, people who feel they have to come to a COMPLETE STOP and then think about it before making a simple turn . . . I'm not talking across traffic . . . . I mean, a simple, uncomplicated right hand turn.  WHAT IS THERE TO THINK ABOUT??????

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2010, 06:33:43 PM »

We have a small, simple supper, and afterwards, every pot, pan, dish, saucer, glass and piece of silverware in the entire house is piled up in the sink.  Somebody apparently had oatmeal for breakfast, because it's spilled all over the kitchen floor and halfway into the dining room.  Go over to the kitchen counter and there's gobs of applesauce - looks like somebody sneezed on it really bad - and then there's some other unknown sticky substance that's been there all day.  Coffee spots all over the counter top for 3' in every direction from the coffeemaker. 

Hatred

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2010, 07:06:47 PM »

We have a small, simple supper, and afterwards, every pot, pan, dish, saucer, glass and piece of silverware in the entire house is piled up in the sink.  Somebody apparently had oatmeal for breakfast, because it's spilled all over the kitchen floor and halfway into the dining room.  Go over to the kitchen counter and there's gobs of applesauce - looks like somebody sneezed on it really bad - and then there's some other unknown sticky substance that's been there all day.  Coffee spots all over the counter top for 3' in every direction from the coffeemaker. 

Hatred

My wife turns into the SHE-HULK if I leave a dirty spoon in the sink . . . this would drive her over the edge.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #94 on: June 16, 2010, 08:22:55 PM »

Hatred

Sounds like your stereotypical single-men's flophouse.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2010, 01:30:54 AM »

Go over to the kitchen counter and there's gobs of applesauce - looks like somebody sneezed on it really bad - and then there's some other unknown sticky substance that's been there all day.

Jack ~ you're describing my flat: when did you move in?  Question Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #96 on: June 17, 2010, 06:26:53 AM »

This morning I see all the countertops are immaculately clean.  Maybe my little blow-up yesterday accomplished something (yeah, right) TeddyR  Everybody's describing me as "snippy", but it's a small price to pay.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Vik
« Reply #97 on: June 17, 2010, 07:38:39 AM »

When people lie about things to look cool in group. And I can always tell when someone is lieing for some reason.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #98 on: June 17, 2010, 09:03:38 AM »

We have a small, simple supper, and afterwards, every pot, pan, dish, saucer, glass and piece of silverware in the entire house is piled up in the sink.  Somebody apparently had oatmeal for breakfast, because it's spilled all over the kitchen floor and halfway into the dining room.  Go over to the kitchen counter and there's gobs of applesauce - looks like somebody sneezed on it really bad - and then there's some other unknown sticky substance that's been there all day.  Coffee spots all over the counter top for 3' in every direction from the coffeemaker.  

Hatred
I simply can't fathom either how we fill a dishwasher EVERY F'N DAY in my house.  That and the laundry basket.  

Another one for me that I just recalled because of our new addition to the family.  I can't stand it when people either...

A.) Touch my kids without permission
B.) Leer their dirty mugs into their carriers and stare at them 5 inches away.

Especially if they are someone I have never met before.  These people are usually the most careless mother f*ckers too and would probably end up sneezing on them if I didn't shoo them away.  I swear I'm still going to buy the shirt "What the f*ck are you looking at" for the baby.  

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #99 on: June 17, 2010, 09:09:54 AM »

[/quote]
I swear I'm still going to buy the shirt "What the f*ck are you looking at" for the baby.  
[/quote]

If you do, you must post a picture.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
BTM

« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2010, 07:34:10 PM »

Ah yes, that is certianly a pet peeve of my mom.

What really eats me up are people who say the Wii isn't a serious gaming console and it doesn't have any good games.  What is really funny about this is how when there is a good game on the system, they say port it over to the Xbox 360 or PS3!  To which I say: but if the system does not have any good games, when do you want this one?

I also hate it when they say the Xbox 360 and PS3 are superior.  To which I say, they are not.  They are on the same level as the Wii with their own glaring problems.  I would start ranting, but you don't want to hear that.   TeddyR

Odd you should mention that as David Wong talks about the same thing on this Cracked article we wrote Seven Commandments All Video Games Should Obey.

http://www.cracked.com/article_16196_the-7-commandments-all-video-games-should-obey.html

One of the big things he mentions is how, despite being better in terms of hardware, the PS3 and Xbox still sell way less than the Wii, because, as he so brilliantly puts it, "Better graphics do not equal innovation and/or creativity."

Anyway, it's a good article.  :)

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
BTM

« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2010, 07:48:03 PM »

What grinds my gears is those douchebags who travel around in their cars with the windows down, blaring their music so damn loud that people from over two blocks away can hear it.  Especially when they got those annoying at f**k amped up bass speakers so  you feel the vibration coursing through your veins with each beat.

It's like, "Hey, Jackass, why not try putting the speakers on the INSIDE of your car!"

Also not a big fan of those guys who drive loud cars and bikes.  They insist on each stop they've got to let their vehicles "roar" several times.  If there's anyone on here who does that, let me speak for everyone else when I say, "You are NOT impressing anyone!  Now get a f**king muffler!"
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 12:07:50 AM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2010, 08:26:32 PM »

I don't like people who have (or often think they have) a car fancy enough to park diagonally taking up two parking spaces.  Kind of makes me want to key their car but I don't. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #103 on: June 18, 2010, 01:49:41 AM »

I don't like people who have (or often think they have) a car fancy enough to park diagonally taking up two parking spaces.  Kind of makes me want to key their car but I don't. 

You see that quite a lot in Pretoria shopping malls, especially here www.menlynpark.co.za ~ it's usually drivers of Lexuses (or should that be Lexi?  Twirling) or 4x4s who park like that. Just btw: the Lexus costs over 500 000 SA rand ~ you could buy a small house for that here.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #104 on: June 18, 2010, 02:48:52 AM »

Hmm.  Nice to see the church and state stuff die out.  I mean, that's just a bad run in the Cerberus comics to me.  =)

To the thread at hand:

1.  People who wave a laser pointer at the screen during a movie in the theatre.
2.  People whose cell phones ring during a movie in the theatre.
3.  People whose cell phones ring, and who answer said phones while doing a transaction such as buying meds at the pharmacy -- and then act annoyed that the pharmacist doesn't wish to be part of two simultaneous conversations!  (yes, I saw this)

4.   People who yap on cell phones while driving.  Yes, hands free, even.  You know they aren't paying attention either.

5.   Kids running amok in public don't bother me.  Their parents do.

6.   Bullies.

7.   Patients who try to treat doctors like medication and test vending machines!

8.   Pat Robertson.

9.   People who use facebook as though it were twitter.  (posting status updates that say "eggs for breakfast!" and crap like that.)

10.  Pretty much anyone who is not a teenager anymore who acts like an eternal adolescent.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 162
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.