Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:01:24 PM
714319 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 162
Author Topic: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?  (Read 632875 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #165 on: July 20, 2010, 12:44:48 AM »

Think about it this way:  Right now, you have a degree but no experience in your field, and some debt.  Let's say you keep your min wage job during school, so you don't lose THAT income.

At the end of this second degree program, you will have:  Two degrees with no experience in either field and BIGGER DEBT.

There is a TON of people out there (more than that, actually,  Wink ) out of work, looking for jobs and quite a few of them have 5, 10 or even 20 years of experience.  Do you really think that another degree and bigger debt is the answer out of your hole?

Maybe, if it opens up the door to another job, any job that pays more then I think it would, eventually be worth.  Plus the thing is, this degree turned out to not be quite what I thought it was, so I'm not even 100 percent sure I could be happy working a job in my degree if I could ever even find one. 

Besides, not really thinking of trying to get a second degree, but maybe just take some more courses that'll give me some more knowledge that might help me latch on to one of the part time jobs around here.  Had my eye on some Graphic Design and Digital editing courses...

Problem is, last time I tried to get a loan for the community college, (since I don't think I could pay it all up front right now) they turned me down (the financial committee, whoever they are, said it didn't make sense for someone with a degree to be taking community courses, and that I obviously "hadn't done enough" to try and find a job in my field.)  Now, university course, while more expensive, I'm pretty sure I could get a loan for..

Anyway, research what jobs are available in your area and go after something there.

Go to a temp agency and work part-time temp work to get EXPERIENCE in your field?

The temp agencies here are pretty much worthless.  Most of what they have is just factory work, if that. 

Dammit, now I'm depressed again.

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #166 on: July 20, 2010, 06:51:37 PM »

Why the hell are so many damned fees tacked on to buying tickets to just about any event?  Processing fees, service fees, fee fi fo fum fees...seriously, after they're done your ticket price shoots up 15 bucks.  I'm sorry, to me thats borderline god*mn extortion and these ticket companies should rot in hell. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #167 on: July 21, 2010, 09:49:57 PM »

Leukemia really grinds my gears.

In the last 8 months or so, three people I know have been diagnosed with leukemia.

The two year old son of one our best friends is fighting his battle when most children his age worry only about what toy to play with.

A good friend, a retired Navy Vet, found out he has a very rare form.

One of my wife's best and longest time friends just found out recently that she also has a rare form, and one that can be quite aggressive.

It REALLY sucks when you hear from a friend and learn their time on earth may be measured in months, if they are lucky.

However, we are truly thankful that in the first two cases listed above, things are looking "okay" for the time being, and in the third, we are remaining hopeful that it is not as bad as the original prognosis.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
BTM

« Reply #168 on: July 21, 2010, 10:27:34 PM »

The two year old son of one our best friends is fighting his battle when most children his age worry only about what toy to play with.

Oh, man!  :(

I know cancer always sucks, but to me, cancer isn't something kids should be getting.

Jim H

« Reply #169 on: July 21, 2010, 11:30:53 PM »

People who can't hold up their end of a conversation.  I keep talking to people online who initiate a conversation and then don't take the hint to, ya know, come up with their own topics to talk about.  EVER.
BTM

« Reply #170 on: July 25, 2010, 01:16:37 AM »

I'm half Polish, feel free to tell as many jokes as you want. 

i got you beat, i'm Polish AND French

So, when she surrenders, she runs in the wrong direction! 

Wink

Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #171 on: July 25, 2010, 07:52:44 AM »

Leukemia really grinds my gears.

My nephew, Cody, was diagnosed with acute lymphocytic leukemia when he was 2 1/2. He has gone through many years of hospitaliztions, tests, and treatments.  In remission now for a number of years, he is a healthy 10 year old.  Throughout his life, his parents have naturally been his biggest supporters, but even parents need a shoulder they can lean on. Have your friends check out a wonderful organization called the Sunshine Kids Foundation which is dedicated to children with cancer.   

Hold onto your dreams ....
BTM

« Reply #172 on: July 26, 2010, 01:06:20 AM »

Another thing I REALLY hate: frauds.  By that I mean, people who make their living cheating others.   I never really thought about it much until about ten years ago when I worked for some guy for about a month and  half and only got paid $100.00.  (And I'm talking full time work here.)  It's a long story, but basically, it breaks down to this: I had just moved to a new area and was living (once again) with my parents.  I was desperate for a job, and the guy who installed the carpet in our new house said he was looking for an assistant.  Said he'd pay $200 a week tax free, so my parents are all like, "Yeah, take this job, Mike!  And do your best."

Well, being young and naive, I took it, and basically he kept BSing for over a month and half.  I quit working for him, and, come to find out, he'd done this before to other assistants in the past.  When I confronted him, he tried to turn the situation where everything was fault, and that I almost had gotten him fired from his job, and all this other BS. 

I wanted to take his ass to small claims court, but I didn't even have the meager money to do that, and my parents (who had encouraged me to get the damn job in the first place) didn't want to loan me the money cause they worried he'd just file bankruptcy and get away with it. 

On the up note though, the guy got fired from his job just a few weeks later and is being sued by his former boss.

Ever since then, I've had a personal hatred for those who make their living by cheating and lying to others, whether it be the big corporate fat cats who were selling off their own company stock while telling everyone else below them things are fine, the lawyers who sue companies and people just to line their own pockets, not giving a damn who or what they hurt, all the way down to the guy on the street corner with the "Will work for food" sign who is, in actuality, just too damn lazy to get a job.  I hate them all.

Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #173 on: July 26, 2010, 10:55:13 AM »

This trailer is annoying me !
Small | Large

Look how English they are ! They're just so English !!!
And she's sooooooooo American !
I'm sure comedy is just around the corner !

*sigh*
One cliche after another. I feel sick.

Bluesad

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
diamondwaspvenom

« Reply #174 on: July 29, 2010, 08:29:58 AM »

You know what drives me insane?

Metallica fans who say Jason Newsted is a horrible bassist just because he plays with a pick. Go on any video on youtube with Jason and I guarantee that stupid argument will show up at least ten times.

On the same topic, I've seen comments on bass cover videos of early Metallica material (i.e. 1983-1986) that attack the player just because they play with a pick instead of their fingers. Seriously, who the f*** cares if they use their fingers or not? Just because a bassist uses a pick does not mean that they are inferior musicians. Why can't these people get that through their thick skulls?
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #175 on: July 29, 2010, 09:06:34 AM »

You know what drives me insane?

Metallica fans who say Jason Newsted is a horrible bassist just because he plays with a pick. Go on any video on youtube with Jason and I guarantee that stupid argument will show up at least ten times.

On the same topic, I've seen comments on bass cover videos of early Metallica material (i.e. 1983-1986) that attack the player just because they play with a pick instead of their fingers. Seriously, who the f*** cares if they use their fingers or not? Just because a bassist uses a pick does not mean that they are inferior musicians. Why can't these people get that through their thick skulls?

Guitar players who finger pick say the same thing about guitarists who use picks. Who cares? Doesn't the bassist from Alice in Chains use a pick too?

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #176 on: July 29, 2010, 11:05:52 AM »

When liberals, especially our President and his entourage, start whining about "the financial hole Bush dug us."  The last Republican deficit, for FY 06, was in the neighborhood of 350 billion.  Way too much, OK?  I acknowledge that!  The Republicans were supposed to be the party of fiscal discipline, and they blew it.

But the Democrats have been writing the nation's budgets since FY 07.  In 3 1/2 years, our deficit has nearly quadrupled and our debt has more than doubled!  And their solution is SPEND MORE!!!!!  SPEND MORE, TAX MORE, REGULATE MORE is the only language Democrats understand.  Have you heard them propose a SINGLE solution that does NOT involve spending more money while making the government even bigger and more intrusive than it already is?

When are these MORONS going to understand that there IS NO MORE MONEY TO SPEND?
We can't afford free health care, we can't afford cap and trade, and we sure can't afford to tax and regulate our few remaining industries into oblivion, which seems to be their only solution to anything!

Our national debt is sitting at nearly 13 trillion dollars.  Can you visualize that number?  It is basically taking $100 bills and stacking them flat, one on top of the other, to a height of 92 miles!!!!!!!  And Congress keeps spending more, to the tune of several BILLION dollars A DAY!

So long, America, it was nice knowing you!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #177 on: July 29, 2010, 12:41:08 PM »

When liberals, especially our President and his entourage, start whining about "the financial hole Bush dug us."  The last Republican deficit, for FY 06, was in the neighborhood of 350 billion.  Way too much, OK?  I acknowledge that!  The Republicans were supposed to be the party of fiscal discipline, and they blew it.

But the Democrats have been writing the nation's budgets since FY 07.  In 3 1/2 years, our deficit has nearly quadrupled and our debt has more than doubled!  And their solution is SPEND MORE!!!!!  SPEND MORE, TAX MORE, REGULATE MORE is the only language Democrats understand.  Have you heard them propose a SINGLE solution that does NOT involve spending more money while making the government even bigger and more intrusive than it already is?

When are these MORONS going to understand that there IS NO MORE MONEY TO SPEND?
We can't afford free health care, we can't afford cap and trade, and we sure can't afford to tax and regulate our few remaining industries into oblivion, which seems to be their only solution to anything!

Our national debt is sitting at nearly 13 trillion dollars.  Can you visualize that number?  It is basically taking $100 bills and stacking them flat, one on top of the other, to a height of 92 miles!!!!!!!  And Congress keeps spending more, to the tune of several BILLION dollars A DAY!

So long, America, it was nice knowing you!

You clearly lean to the right. I don't trust either side. They've both demonstrated that they are more interested in expanding their own power base and fighting each other than they are about helping Americans and creating jobs. Take the immigration issue, for example. The Democrats keep saying "we need comprehensive immigration reform," but don't seem too interested in doing anything about the borders, where real and terrifying things are happening. The Republicans, on ther other hand, say "no immigration reform until the borders are secured," which is not going to happen anytime soon, and probably will never happen to a point that they are satisfied enough to support immigration reform that does have to happen. The actual solution is: THEY BOTH HAVE TO HAPPEN, AND THEY BOTH HAVE TO HAPPEN NOW! But no, the broken, idiotic two-party system we have in place will never let that happen, because they are far more interested in political posturing and expanding their political power-bases than in getting together and actually doing both, which both deperately need to be done. Shame on them both. They obviously don't care about the American people and absolute power has reared its ugly head.

My advice, my friend, is to dissolve your political leanings and, more importantly, dissolve your notions of liberal and conservative. Those two words mean nothing. An economic liberal is actually a person who supports laissez-faire capitalism, yet somehow our society has attributed the word to people who are far from supporters of the finest economic system in history. When you resort to the tired old "liberal" and "conservative" labels and notions, you've demonstrated that, at least to some degree, your opinions are provided for you and you naturally think less for yourself. You have the capacity to ignore the liberal/conservative trap. Most of us do. Exercise that capacity and be a true free-thinker.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Jim H

« Reply #178 on: July 29, 2010, 02:42:18 PM »

Have you heard them propose a SINGLE solution that does NOT involve spending more money while making the government even bigger and more intrusive than it already is?

Well, they're reducing the penalty for crack cocaine possession to put it more in line with regular cocaine.  That's going to reduce costs some $40 million a year.  It's a small step but a good one.  I think that's a change everyone who is thinking clearly can support.   Thumbup  Personally, I think decriminalizing possession of small amounts of drugs would be a nearly universal good, and would save enormous amounts of money.

And I have heard them propose other stuff, just not anything that has enough votes to actually pass.  It's really difficult for them to pass much of anything.  I've heard several discuss reducing military spending, but of course, that can't pass.  But, obviously, if we truly can't afford health care and industry regulations, we certainly can't afford military spending per year in the 2/3s of a trillion dollar per year range.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #179 on: July 29, 2010, 03:46:23 PM »

The bottom line is that, I trust corporations more than I trust government, which isn't a whole lot.  I do not buy the idea that "liberal' and "conservative" have no meaning - I think they obviously do.  But what infuriates me is that I see politicians on BOTH sides of the isle tearing down 3000 years of civilization one brick at a time and not building a thing of lasting value to replace it!!!!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 162
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.