Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:20:09 PM
713370 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 162
Author Topic: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?  (Read 624473 times)
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #210 on: July 31, 2010, 03:40:47 PM »

Think I’m wrong? What is the most common argument for legalizing pot? Prohibition... And what ended Prohibition?

Jim H has I made my point?

You're now making a slippery slope argument, more or less.  I'm not convinced such a slope exists.

The countries that have decriminalized personal drug use have not seen this slide, so I see no reason to believe it'd happen here.  Look at Spain, Italy, and Portugal.  They have not had any measurable negative consequences to their decriminalization whatsoever.  As to how to define a "personal" amount, Portugal considers it roughly 10 days worth of daily doses.  There is no exact line here, one just has to be made up.  And frankly, if that allows extremely small time dealers to get away with it, I couldn't care less.

Oh, and I primarily agree with Flick James on this.  The money is secondary.

First what's good in another country doesnt mean its good for USA. Equally is true for every country.

Second most of those countries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PIGS_(economics)) are bankrupt (based upon their own design) and since the USA is heading towards Europe (thanks to our new president) those countries are going deeper into the hole. Also they dont have the responsablity for being a world power and they dont have the responsability to keep the world together... The USA does. Saddly our responsabilty for being a world power does place us at at a higher standard.

Third... The Prohibition argument does exist because everybody that is pro-pot keeps bring it up. Like I said I'm pointing out the chain. Ones pot becomes legal somebody will be pushing something else and use legalize pot for the excuess.

#1 You are correct.  That's not actually an argument in either direction though.  It could work out far better here too. 

But, how it worked in other countries is simply all we have to go on at this point.  It is possible it would work out differently here, that I'd acknowledge.  If it really caused problems, they can always change the laws again.  As is, I'm simply baffled at what kinds of problems it could cause. 

#2 makes absolutely no sense to me at all.  We have "higher standards" and "responsibility" so we have to treat drug users WORSE than other countries? 

#3 Again you're making a baseless slippery slope argument.  But it's not related to anything I said (I only referenced decriminalizing drugs period, not any specific drug), so whatever.
Skull
« Reply #211 on: July 31, 2010, 07:22:04 PM »

#2 makes absolutely no sense to me at all.  We have "higher standards" and "responsibility" so we have to treat drug users WORSE than other countries?

lol... I'd wish. I really do. most of the time a drug user will be arrested and released within 24 hours sometimes much less. As I was trying to say (without being focused on drug dealers/users) is that our higher standards place us above other countries, in general.

#3 Again you're making a baseless slippery slope argument.  But it's not related to anything I said (I only referenced decriminalizing drugs period, not any specific drug), so whatever.

Ok, lets pretend Prohibition never happen (that means you cannot refer to any argument saying that its too hard for the police to control and say that it can be done)... So why should drugs should become legal?
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #212 on: July 31, 2010, 07:24:39 PM »

Prohibition worked far better on the state level, actually.  It was when the feds took it over in 1920 that it became a dismal failure.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jim H

« Reply #213 on: July 31, 2010, 07:50:03 PM »

lol... I'd wish. I really do. most of the time a drug user will be arrested and released within 24 hours sometimes much less.
lets pretend Prohibition never happen (that means you cannot refer to any argument saying that its too hard for the police to control and say that it can be done)... So why should drugs should become legal?

Skull, most of the time when you respond to any of my points you slip to the side and essentially ignore most of what I said and concentrate on related topics that I didn't actually talk about, or instead get into semantics.  Therefore, I'm not going to argue about this anymore.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #214 on: July 31, 2010, 08:37:26 PM »

So, to come full circle, you could say that Skull was really grinding your gears in this thread! TeddyR

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Skull
« Reply #215 on: August 01, 2010, 12:24:30 AM »

lol... I'd wish. I really do. most of the time a drug user will be arrested and released within 24 hours sometimes much less.
lets pretend Prohibition never happen (that means you cannot refer to any argument saying that its too hard for the police to control and say that it can be done)... So why should drugs should become legal?

Skull, most of the time when you respond to any of my points you slip to the side and essentially ignore most of what I said and concentrate on related topics that I didn't actually talk about, or instead get into semantics.  Therefore, I'm not going to argue about this anymore.

look, the only reason I'm even on this topic is based upon the idea that government is willing to release prisoners and change the laws (not because they realize that the law was bad) but because they cannot afford keeping people in jail because it cost the government 20,000 to 50,000 for each prisoner per year and I've pointed out that was a BS number. Although I dont have any actual data... I did use the common price of living to compair prices and I have factor that each prisoner may cost as much as 16,000 although it also proves that my assumption is also grossly over price since we all know that 600 dollars on utilites (based upon 2 prisoners in each cell) times that by 500 cells is 300,000 per month on gas, water and lighting... And feeding a prisoner 15 dollars a day based upon breakfest, lunch and supper at McDonalds... then again my numbers dont even touch the 20,000 dollars.

this whole drug argument is a side issue that I really didnt want to waste my time but it seems that I keep steping into it.

Yes I'm anti drug. I dont see any reason why it should be legal and any argument to legalize drugs also sickens me because the very issue to legalize drugs is based upon personal selfishness. I've lost friends because they kept doing drugs. Drugs does hurt even those that dont do drugs! and that is based upon my own personal experience.

But I do agree with you on one thing...

I'm not going to argue about this anymore, too. [I've think I had said enough about my feelings about decriminalizing drugs]

I'm still happy to talk about the price of prisoners...  TeddyR
Jim H

« Reply #216 on: August 01, 2010, 01:34:50 AM »

You know, I was tempted to leave a pleasant closing remark Skull, except that you just called me and several others on this thread selfish (I think, your statement there is a little confusing).  I don't quite know how to respond to that.  So, whatever.

As an actual contribution to the thread...

The layout of the city of St. Louis.  Every direction is a trap.  There are numerous exits and streets that if you go down them, you can't go back to where you came from without literally driving for 5-10 minutes if you KNOW how to get back.  If you have to guess, you can't, as the layout was apparently designed by a mad man.  I missed my exit yesterday, took the next one I saw to turn around, and ended up spending over 20 minutes trying to find my way back. 

It sucks.
Skull
« Reply #217 on: August 01, 2010, 07:21:40 AM »

You know, I was tempted to leave a pleasant closing remark Skull, except that you just called me and several others on this thread selfish (I think, your statement there is a little confusing).  I don't quite know how to respond to that.  So, whatever.

I'm calling it as I see it. The only confusion is justifying an activity that destroys the mind, the body and the people around you.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 06:29:43 AM by Skull » Logged
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #218 on: August 01, 2010, 08:07:22 AM »

Prohibition worked far better on the state level, actually.  It was when the feds took it over in 1920 that it became a dismal failure.

It seems whenever the feds take over anything it becomes a dismal failure  Bluesad

Hold onto your dreams ....
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #219 on: August 01, 2010, 12:13:39 PM »

Some native communities in Labrador have instituted prohibition within their communities because abuse had become such a major problem. Last I heard, this change has proved a major improvement in these areas.

Personally I'm not sure I agree with forcing such a choice upon people but maybe I'd feel differently if it was negatively affecting an entire community of which I was a part...

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
3mnkids

« Reply #220 on: August 01, 2010, 12:17:09 PM »

The layout of the city of St. Louis.  Every direction is a trap.  There are numerous exits and streets that if you go down them, you can't go back to where you came from without literally driving for 5-10 minutes if you KNOW how to get back.  If you have to guess, you can't, as the layout was apparently designed by a mad man.  I missed my exit yesterday, took the next one I saw to turn around, and ended up spending over 20 minutes trying to find my way back. 

It sucks.

I hate going across the river   TeddyR  It is so confusing and I always get lost.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #221 on: August 01, 2010, 12:30:39 PM »

It sucks.

I hate going across the river   TeddyR  It is so confusing and I always get lost.

Reminds me of this place:

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #222 on: August 02, 2010, 06:38:28 AM »

Any time you've got a major road with a side street running parallel to it about 50 feet away, and then a cross street intersecting both of them, it's a huge mess.  People sit at the the intersection of the side street, finally get their chance to approach the major road just as the light's turning yellow, and oh gee, there I was waiting to make a left turn but now you're blasting through here at 40 mph.   Lookingup

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #223 on: August 04, 2010, 06:22:57 AM »

Sorry for bringing up the drug topic again, but this is something that really interests me. First I am for the legalization of Marijuana, not because of any supposed medical use, but because of all the illegal drugs it is the least problematic, even compared to legal drugs like alcohol.
But I don't think that legalizing all drugs is a good thing and could have very sever consequences. America is not like most of the smaller european countries that have decriminalized drugs. We are a very large country, with a larger population, with big appetites for recreation. We have a capitalist economy, where if there is a profit to be made off of something, somebody will find a way. If all drugs were de-criminalized here I think we could see wide spread marketing of very dangerous drugs.
And also most drugs are illegal for a good reason. Coke, while not the worst of the hard drugs, can become very addictive and I've seen friends who have become serious coke heads and spend all their money on that stuff, as their bodies waste away.
Opium is a drug so bad even the Chinese began prohibiting its use in 1729. Heroin is one of the most destructive drugs on the planet, think of how many great musicians have died because of that drug.
Meth is another drug that is insanely dangerous. While it might not kill you the effects it has on your body and mind stay with you long after you quit, just ask my ex girlfriend. She started using meth and it has screwed her mind up so much now she has to take anti-psychotic medications, just to keep sane.

Smells like popcorn and shame
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #224 on: August 04, 2010, 06:32:29 AM »

I agree with you wyckednick.  Another thing is that when a person has to buy pot from a drug dealer, that dealer can probably make more money from them if they push them into a harder drug.  If you could buy pot from a regular store, the employees wouldn't have any stake in getting them hooked on something more profitable, so maybe that would be a better situation.  And as someone who smoked pot for ten years or so, it's just absurd to have it be illegal when hard liquor - which is several times more powerful - is legal. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 162
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.