Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:39:08 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 162
Author Topic: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?  (Read 624463 times)
Skull
« Reply #285 on: August 11, 2010, 12:28:21 PM »

You disappoint me Skull! I think you need to do a lot more research before you make so many general statements about the conditions of food '100 years ago'.

I'm saying that we are a different animal then we were 100 years ago.

I do agree we have too many chemicals in our food but it’s really hard to say its all bad when our lifespan has nearly tripled.

I've always heard people say: whatever happened to simply eating better, drinking lots of water and getting plenty of exercise?

But I'm asking is "When did it actually happen?"

This one floors me!  Do you really believe that the only 'environmental' 'issue' is climate change?

I’m not against the idea of cleaning up after yourself. It angers me when I see people toss trash on the sidewalk instead of walking around the corner and putting the trash into the garbage. If this is the extent of environmentalist movement then we are at the same level.

I really do believe that us humans are far too superior to be lazy or even “cheap.” I have no problems with governmental regulations on waste disposal, although I wish there was an equal agreement around the world… China still dumps lead in the water; unfortunately I don’t see the environments knocking on China’s doorstep about the issue.

But the environmental movement is all about climate change. (Actually lets call it by the real name… Global Warming).

What angers me about “Global Warming Issues” is that the concept is a pseudoscience that tries to make itself as science fact and then forces itself upon our lifestyle.

My argument against “Global Warming” is: If man causes Global Warming then we need to believe that the Earth can magical orbit around the rotating Sun at the same distance every year and that Earth’s temperature was magically constant.

I do believe that the Earth, as well as every other body in space is subject to change based upon the gravitational pull, I also know the Sun rotates therefore the gravitational pull is always changing. I’m aware there are science theories on the chaotic orbit but they often go to the extreme about planets crashing into each other a trillion centuries from now; although I feel the chaotic orbit theory is closer to the truth because the Earth isn’t on a track or there isnt magic keeping the Earth’s orbit around the Sun at the same distance. Or maybe God is actually keeping the behavior of the Solar System completely predictable, although that would toss science out the window.

Smile
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 12:32:36 PM by Skull » Logged
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #286 on: August 11, 2010, 12:59:09 PM »

I hate it when reviewers give a movie's video and audio quality low marks just because they didn't like the movie itself.  It's ridiculous and extremely unprofessional.  The guy at High def Digest says a movie is "Haphazardly presented with a problematic 1080p/VC-1 transfer...suffers from drab colors, contrast wavering, unresolved blacks, and errant softness.

While somebody at another review site (who also hated the movie) says "Like most Universal hi-def releases, this one does admittedly look fantastic".

Lookingup

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Skull
« Reply #287 on: August 11, 2010, 01:01:22 PM »

Most people didn't make it to 40 yrs of age, disease or accidents usually killed them long before hand.

This is something that grinds my gears a little.   TeddyR

Life expectancy statements from 100 years ago or longer are sometimes taken the wrong way by people (basically, people seem to think someone making into middle age was a rare event, and that they'd be viewed as ancient or something).  While strictly true, it's really more like a huge chunk of people died as infants or children younger than 12.  Count from puberty, and the life expectancy jumps up dramatically.  Typically into the high 50s or low 60s, depending on where and when.

That is true... Althought that was also the intent of Social Security, it was only subject to pay for the last days of human life, not 20 or 30 years after retirement.

Smile
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #288 on: August 11, 2010, 03:00:38 PM »

You disappoint me Skull! I think you need to do a lot more research before you make so many general statements about the conditions of food '100 years ago'.

I do agree we have too many chemicals in our food but it’s really hard to say its all bad when our lifespan has nearly tripled.

I've always heard people say: whatever happened to simply eating better, drinking lots of water and getting plenty of exercise?

But I'm asking is "When did it actually happen?"

I'm not talking about diets from 100 years ago; I agree that diets 100 years and older were by no means great. Heck, the only ancient diet that comes to mind that was actually fairly decent is the Mediterranean Diet (if the comparatively good health indicated by the skeletons at Herculaneum are any indicator). What I was alluding to was that, say, 50 years ago that was what most people generally agreed would help with many ailments and it worked (unless you had something really serious, like cancer). Today no one, except for an unfortunate few, in developed nations has an excuse not to eat better, especially since many ailments that are commonplace today can be directly linked to poor eating habits and sedentary lifestyles. Unfortunately, we're in a society that wants a quick, easy solution to everything, so we have people making things worse for themselves by going on fad diets, taking all kinds of vitamin supplements (often without paying attention to the recommended dosage), and trying all sorts of ways to shape up without actually breaking a sweat.

However, this is a by-product of a more-or-less free market; the best we can hope for is that more people will eventually make more educated decisions on what they do with their bodies. I'm not impressed with the choices some people make for themselves, but I support their right/freedom to make those decisions for themselves (hence why it saddens me to see obese and malnourished children; kids don't really have any control over what food they have access to, so 9 times out of the 10 it's the parents feeding them junk and teaching them bad eating habits).
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #289 on: August 11, 2010, 03:17:28 PM »

And I thought you hated to argue.  BounceGiggle

Oh but I do: I will post to offer points I think have been overlooked, and then let them stand for themsleves.

I get too riled otherwise.   Smile

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

« Reply #290 on: August 11, 2010, 03:38:27 PM »

How so? Biologically we are the same.

And 100 years is not a very long time, btw.

But the environmental movement is all about climate change. (Actually lets call it by the real name… Global Warming).

This is one issue among many.  So it gets the most attention lately...that does not make it the only concern.

What angers me about “Global Warming Issues” is that the concept is a pseudoscience that tries to make itself as science fact and then forces itself upon our lifestyle.

My argument against “Global Warming” is: If man causes Global Warming then we need to believe that the Earth can magical orbit around the rotating Sun at the same distance every year and that Earth’s temperature was magically constant.

I do believe that the Earth, as well as every other body in space is subject to change based upon the gravitational pull, I also know the Sun rotates therefore the gravitational pull is always changing. I’m aware there are science theories on the chaotic orbit but they often go to the extreme about planets crashing into each other a trillion centuries from now; although I feel the chaotic orbit theory is closer to the truth because the Earth isn’t on a track or there isnt magic keeping the Earth’s orbit around the Sun at the same distance. Or maybe God is actually keeping the behavior of the Solar System completely predictable, although that would toss science out the window.

Speaking of pseudo-science!  You have taken a bunch of things you have heard and mashed them together without understanding.  "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke's third law.  Believe what you like, Skull, it's not 'magic' - it is called 'physics'.

There are fluctuations in yearly temperatures, and then there are significant trends: look at the ice ages - the key is to examine the trends on a scale closer to the geological.

I'm done.  Lookingup  I really do intensely dislike arguing but I abhor misinformation and faulty logic even more.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 04:03:18 PM by Newt » Logged

"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Skull
« Reply #291 on: August 11, 2010, 03:43:09 PM »

Unfortunately, we're in a society that wants a quick, easy solution to everything, so we have people making things worse for themselves by going on fad diets, taking all kinds of vitamin supplements (often without paying attention to the recommended dosage), and trying all sorts of ways to shape up without actually breaking a sweat.

Oh you have hit the nail on the head… And that’s basically true for everything: health, environment, drugs, racism, fame, etc and etc.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #292 on: August 11, 2010, 03:58:47 PM »

Skull,

Geez, and here I thought I liked to stir s**t up. You take the cake.

p.s. 1 more post for 1000.  Cheers

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

« Reply #293 on: August 11, 2010, 04:18:43 PM »

My favourite xkcd for a reason!  Wink

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #294 on: August 11, 2010, 04:20:10 PM »

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle Wink

The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #295 on: August 11, 2010, 04:28:59 PM »

I'll second that.
Skull
« Reply #296 on: August 11, 2010, 04:55:20 PM »

How so? Biologically we are the same.

And 100 years is not a very long time, btw.

I agree that we are biologically identical but our lifestyle has changed our living conditions so drastically that we don’t have any simular relationship from people living 100 years ago. Maybe thats a stretch but I know I'll have a hard time living in 1910.

Speaking of pseudo-science!  You have taken a bunch of things you have heard and mashed them together without understanding.  "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke's third law.  Believe what you like, Skull, it's not 'magic' - it is called 'physics'.

I'm asking/saying if the Earth's Orbit is constant then it must be magical or by the hands of God because its not possible according to science. A constant orbit requires a track or something to keep the world at the same distance all the time.

The Earth’s orbit around the Sun is a chaotic orbit...

chaotic orbit

An orbit that can change in a largely unpredictable manner, or one where a tiny change in the position and/or the velocity of the orbiting body will produce major changes in the orbit.

We all know the Earth shifts its axis per season…from that little shift our planet can go from summer to winter and winter to summer.

I’m just saying that maybe we are getting odd weather conditions because the Earth orbit isn’t constant and I just find it interesting that these factors are never figured with global warming.

Or maybe I should say this... Even if we live in the fish bowl there are elements outside of the fish bowl (out of our control) that can be a factor.

There are fluctuations in yearly temperatures, and then there are significant trends: look at the ice ages - the key is to examine the trends on a scale closer to the geological.

Sure but the temperatures are based on information that is almost 150 years old… You even said “And 100 years is not a very long time, btw” so what’s 150 years compared to Earth?

I dont believe global warming is man made becauses the data isnt complete... They are not factoring the Earth's Orbit or any other chaos element that cannot be generated by a computer (like a random Mount St Helen eruption) and scientist still dont have a clue how Greenland was green a thousand years ago and how the Ice Age was started.

Sure many believe that the Ice Age was cased my a large meteor but that is also hard to digest becaues the size of the meteor should be at least 1/3 the size of the moon and it should of made a large crack on the Earth, remember the Earth is a big planet and we dropped 2 bombs on Japan and the Americans and the Russians also made several hundred nuclear testing... and still it didnt effect the world or the weather conditions.

The Ice Age could of been caused by something simple as Earth's attraction to a bigger gravational pull while making its orbit around the Sun for a few centuries and then the Earth went back on course. The frightening factor about the Ice Age it was really quick and our distance to the sun is very fragile (it only takes a shift in the axis to change the seasons).

« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 06:30:19 AM by Skull » Logged
Skull
« Reply #297 on: August 11, 2010, 04:59:24 PM »

Skull,

lol... I totally forget I had 1 more post to go... :)

Paquita

« Reply #298 on: August 11, 2010, 05:46:07 PM »

Skull,

Don't encourage him!  Maybe if everyone ignores him he'll finish painting the ceiling.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #299 on: August 11, 2010, 06:00:06 PM »

Skull,

Don't encourage him!  Maybe if everyone ignores him he'll finish painting the ceiling.
That changes everything. You know what really grinds my gears? People who keep posting on the Internet when they've got a ceiling to paint.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 162
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.