Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:33:40 AM
714147 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 162
Author Topic: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?  (Read 630726 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #315 on: August 16, 2010, 11:36:53 AM »

Hear, hear. Another gem is, of course, "It's all in your head." Um, not quite. In quite a few cases, it's quite possibly in the genes or the result of something going on their lives.

Btw, thanks mass media for making it seem like people with depression are just doing it for attention by inadvertedly equating it with emo teens. Way to trivialize a serious mental illness that can destroy a person's life as well as the lives of everyone around them! I mean, hell, it's not like there are ever any underlying issues that need to be addressed or anything; they can just take a "happy pill" and make everything better, right?

Well, that's another thing that bugs me, waaay too damn many people think anti-depressants are "happy pills".  That is, you take them, and you're just goofy, bouncing off the walls, giggling like the teenage schoolgirl at a Justin Bieber concert. 

Uh, no.

Anti-depressants (IF they actually work), just balance you out, so you can feel NORMAL.  So, there's not that huge, dark cloud hanging over your head (or at least, it's not as dark as normal.) 

Makes you really hate the damn "normals" sometimes, huh?

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
3mnkids

« Reply #316 on: August 16, 2010, 11:58:05 AM »

Being nickel and dimed to death.   Hatred  The school raised their bus fees to 25.00 per child. So, 75.00 a month for the kids to ride the bus to school..

So you are paying 5 dollars a day to take you kid to school and back home. Do you get a refund on sick days, school day's off and snowdays?

Although I'd often wonder what the school bus drivers so while the kids are in school, I do think many are also doing something else... at least I hope thay are... It's quite silly/wasteful if they are waiting 4 to 6 hours doing nothing.

Nope, no discount. I thought about letting the two oldest ride the bus in the morning but walk home in the afternoon but it would still be the full amount so why bother. I also paid 155.00 in book fees and 39.00 for a PE uniforms. I guess its a good thing my kids aren't into sports or I would be paying another 100 bucks.

I know I shouldn't complain since the state of IL is in such rough shape financially and the schools are suffering because of it.. Their school is one of 29 in the state that is in dire straits financially but ya know what, so am I.   TeddyR

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Skull
« Reply #317 on: August 16, 2010, 12:10:16 PM »

Being nickel and dimed to death.   Hatred  The school raised their bus fees to 25.00 per child. So, 75.00 a month for the kids to ride the bus to school..

So you are paying 5 dollars a day to take you kid to school and back home. Do you get a refund on sick days, school day's off and snowdays?

Although I'd often wonder what the school bus drivers so while the kids are in school, I do think many are also doing something else... at least I hope thay are... It's quite silly/wasteful if they are waiting 4 to 6 hours doing nothing.

Nope, no discount. I thought about letting the two oldest ride the bus in the morning but walk home in the afternoon but it would still be the full amount so why bother. I also paid 155.00 in book fees and 39.00 for a PE uniforms. I guess its a good thing my kids aren't into sports or I would be paying another 100 bucks.

I know I shouldn't complain since the state of IL is in such rough shape financially and the schools are suffering because of it.. Their school is one of 29 in the state that is in dire straits financially but ya know what, so am I.   TeddyR

I would be happy if the money is actually going to the bus driver, the gas and the maintenance... Saddly it doesnt. When you can count the number of students on the bus and ask what the driver does after the rides.
BTM

« Reply #318 on: August 17, 2010, 03:33:16 AM »

Good ol' Illinois! 

Some days I really miss living in Missouri. 

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #319 on: August 17, 2010, 09:24:56 AM »

Anti-depressants (IF they actually work), just balance you out, so you can feel NORMAL.  So, there's not that huge, dark cloud hanging over your head (or at least, it's not as dark as normal.) 

I was put on a course of 'happy pills" in 2009 and I flipped out several times, so they didn't work for me at all: the one thing that they did do was stop me smoking for some very weird reason. I'd been trying to quit for years since 1984 and I haven't touched a cigarette since April last year.  Thumbup

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
BTM

« Reply #320 on: August 17, 2010, 11:22:35 AM »

I was put on a course of 'happy pills" in 2009 and I flipped out several times, so they didn't work for me at all: the one thing that they did do was stop me smoking for some very weird reason. I'd been trying to quit for years since 1984 and I haven't touched a cigarette since April last year.  Thumbup

Weird.. don't think I've heard of anti-smoking side effect  (course, I don't know all the possible effects of meds, mainly just ones I'm on of have been on.)  How did it stop you from smoking, exactly?  I mean, did it eliminate the nicotine cravings, or did cigs just not "taste" the same afterwards?  (I'm a non-smoker so I may not fully understand your answer.)

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #321 on: August 17, 2010, 11:59:29 AM »

They put me on Zoloft once when I tried to quit smoking. It didn't work. The only thing that ever worked was my wife and I trying for kids and me wanting to be completely rid of cigarettes before my first child came. It worked, and I quit cold turkey almost 4 years ago, completely on my own. However, Zoloft may have helped. I personally don't think anything will truly help a person quit smoking unless they're really ready to quit. I would imagine you were ready to quit and so the anti-depressant really helped.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #322 on: August 17, 2010, 05:47:39 PM »

You know what grinds my gears?

Managers who try and overstate their influence on the success of the people they manage. I love how managers are very quick to take some credit for an employee who performs well.

What happens when that employee fails? Well, the manager is even quicker to point and document how much they tried to help the employee, offered guidance, did this and that, in an effort to prove that they weren't responsible for the failure. Well, doesn't that actually suggest the opposite? The first guy didn't need much if any help from you, so you can't very well claim influence over it to prove how great a manager you are. And if the failed employee failed even after all the guidance you gave him/her, doesn't that suggest you're a s**tty manager? 

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #323 on: August 17, 2010, 09:38:56 PM »

The ever-growing gap between the rich and the poor. Employers who are robbing me and other workers of hard earned wages meaning I get less now than I did 10 years ago. My father gets less than he did 30 years ago...there's sometimes seriously wrong with that in a world where the inflation is through the roof and major companies are making so much funny at the top, stealing it out of working people's very pockets and don't kid yourselves that's not what's happening. When working class people try and organize and get together, it's actively discouraged. Bailouts are nothing but big companies stealing money out of your and my pockets to keep a status quo that is making rich people riching and giving them more and more money to steal out of our pockets.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Skull
« Reply #324 on: August 18, 2010, 06:17:14 AM »

Paying 175.00 a month for comcast! All we have is cable and internet...  Hatred
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #325 on: August 18, 2010, 07:19:50 AM »

having the background laughter for things that aren't funny. Proof- NICK! WTF happened to the good o' days when Nick was awesome? Bluesad

yeah no.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #326 on: August 18, 2010, 09:06:52 AM »

People who state the obvious (this could actually go under the "nice things people do to tick you off" thread) just to make conversation.  For example.......

Rain will be pouring and someone will say "Wow, it sure is raining..."

I'll be walking in with a bag of tomatoes and someone will say "Wow, thats a lot of tomatoes..."

Theres a volunteer in my workplace that works at the giftshop.  I always go in and by a couple atomic fire balls.  Every time I see her she says, "WOW, you like the hot stuff..."

A coworker of mine brought up a good idea.  I should say something ridiculous back to scare people away.  I was thinking next time that volunteer does that I'll make the metal signs with my fingers and say in a high pitched 80s power METAL voice, "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH". 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #327 on: August 18, 2010, 09:20:03 AM »

A coworker of mine brought up a good idea.  I should say something ridiculous back to scare people away.  I was thinking next time that volunteer does that I'll make the metal signs with my fingers and say in a high pitched 80s power METAL voice, "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH".

You can't pitch an idea like that and not do it. Now you're obligated. Not only do you have to do it now, but you have to post tomorrow and tell us the reaction.

Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #328 on: August 18, 2010, 09:23:43 AM »

You can't pitch an idea like that and not do it. Now you're obligated. Not only do you have to do it now, but you have to post tomorrow and tell us the reaction.
BounceGiggle Yeah I'll get back to you.  The woman has to be past 80 so seeing a heart attack is possible I'll probably chicken out.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #329 on: August 18, 2010, 09:38:23 AM »

Weird.. don't think I've heard of anti-smoking side effect  (course, I don't know all the possible effects of meds, mainly just ones I'm on of have been on.)  How did it stop you from smoking, exactly?  I mean, did it eliminate the nicotine cravings, or did cigs just not "taste" the same afterwards?  (I'm a non-smoker so I may not fully understand your answer.)

I can't say why I stopped altogether, it could be a combination of the meds and the fact that my office is no longer in the Union Building gardens which is almost a huge park. All I know is that I haven't touched a cigarette since April 09 and I can't explain it.  Question

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 162
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.