Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:48:20 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 162
Author Topic: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?  (Read 620111 times)
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #405 on: September 07, 2010, 09:22:57 PM »

You know what really grinds my gears?

People who use texting language in their actually speech. I've got this lady in one of my MBA classes who actually says "OMG" and "LOL." And tone of voice is even more infuriating, because it sounds like she started doing it because she thought it was cool, and it just incorporated itself into her everyday lexicon. I want to scream at her. You can't use the brevity argument with OMG, because it doesn't shorten the time it says to say "Oh my God." She's not the first person I've seen do this. Why?

I can understand the use of commonly recognized abreviations in texting, it makes sense, although I even keep that to a minimum because I cherish communication skills. But actually saying OMG and LOL. What the f**k? Maybe it shouldn't bother me this much, but it really, really gets on my nerves.

On the bright side, however, I guess this person has made it very, very clear to me that I would never want to hang around with her. I don't have to find that out over time. So I guess there's a silver lining for you.
You should slap those people.  You have my permission. 

At the very least tell them they're idiots, preferably at the top of your lungs standing less than two feet away from them.
claws
« Reply #406 on: September 10, 2010, 02:26:14 AM »

Vegans on the Internet (sounds like a bad movie title)

We get it. You are super-special and you will outlive us all by 20-30 years  Lookingup

The only thing worse is standing in line behind a semi-sober religious nut buying booze. I don't care if you go to church every Sunday and I don't care if your invisible god watches you pee.
Just leave me the hell alone or I swear I will tattoo "666" on my forehead.

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #407 on: September 10, 2010, 02:42:20 AM »

The only thing worse is standing in line behind a semi-sober religious nut buying booze. I don't care if you go to church every Sunday and I don't care if your invisible god watches you pee.

TeddyR TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #408 on: September 10, 2010, 11:11:24 PM »

We get it. You are super-special and you will outlive us all by 20-30 years  Lookingup

I always write 696 on my arm. Buggedout also, so Christians were passing out free "books" out by school one day and it turned out to be a pamphlet of God. WTF, IT'S ILLEGALITY TO DO THAT! Hatred

yeah no.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #409 on: September 11, 2010, 10:28:12 PM »

It's not illegal to distribute religious literature near a school - just not on campus.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #410 on: September 12, 2010, 12:34:07 AM »

It's not illegal to distribute religious literature near a school - just not on campus.
they were on campus

yeah no.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #411 on: September 12, 2010, 09:54:09 AM »

they were on campus

The idea that it's per se illegal to distribute Bibles or other religious literature at a public school is not correct.  In fact, if the group is organized and run by students, it's a constitutionally protected exercise of their first amendment rights.  If it's done by outsiders, it's generally frowned upon.  They would probably violate a school policy or local ordinance, especially if they are disruptive.  But some jurisdictions have approved "passive" dissemination of religious literature on public school campuses if regulations are followed.     

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
3mnkids
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #412 on: September 12, 2010, 10:34:38 AM »

My kids bring home church stuff frequently from school. Stuff about their after school programs, summer camp, and other activities.. its not preachy stuff, just stuff from the local churches that the school hands out. It doesn't bother me but it does go right into the trash.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #413 on: September 12, 2010, 10:44:44 AM »

they were on campus

The idea that it's per se illegal to distribute Bibles or other religious literature at a public school is not correct.  In fact, if the group is organized and run by students, it's a constitutionally protected exercise of their first amendment rights.  If it's done by outsiders, it's generally frowned upon.  They would probably violate a school policy or local ordinance, especially if they are disruptive.  But some jurisdictions have approved "passive" dissemination of religious literature on public school campuses if regulations are followed.     

okay, let me clear up- these guys were selling pamphlets on the campus, non had kids that goes to my school, and actually were trying to get people to go to their church.

yeah no.
BTM

« Reply #414 on: September 14, 2010, 03:42:40 AM »

Irresponsible pet owners.

Yeah, we all know the stories about people who abuse their pets, and those are horrible, but then there's the other type.  The, "Well, I've got a pet, but I'm really damn lazy/uncaring about looking after it."

Lost track of the number of times I've almost ran over a dog that was just wondering around uncollared in the streets.  People, this is NOT the freaking countryside where you can just let your dogs roam free!  

Then we have the idiots that just let their animals breed wildly, and then they do things like put the puppies or kittens in a box and just leave them on a street corner.  DEAR GOD, that p**sES ME OFF!  Especially when our town has a paper that would let you list an ad for FREE so you could tell people you're giving them away and at least then they might find a good home.

I swear, this actually happened, my former neighbor had a puppy that was outside in a cage.  One day, I find the puppy just roaming around the parking lot, so, thinking the pet was lost or something, I picked the dog up, headed over to the guys house, knocked on the door and said, "Uh, hi!  Is this your dog?"

He answers, "Yeah.  Do you want him?"

I'm a bit taken aback.  I mean, here I am stupidly assuming I was doing a good deed, you know reuniting loving owner with poor lost pet.  

I said, "Uh, well, I would, but they don't allow pets in the apartment."  

"Oh, well, I was just hoping someone would come along and take him."  

If I had a hand free, I think I would have done the face palm gesture.  

And I said, "Uh, sir, you know you could list in The Trader that you're giving a dog.  They'll let you put an advertisement in for free."

"Oh, okay."  He said, excitement level in his voice reaching somewhere just below Ben Stein in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.  "I'll do that."  

So, I handed him the puppy and left secure in the knowledge that he'd most likely "forget" to do the strenuous work necessary to make a phone call.  

(sigh)

And I know I've said this many times here and elsewhere, but this really makes me mad because I really WANT to have a pet, but I CAN'T because it's against the rules of where I live.  

Bluesad
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 10:32:13 AM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #415 on: September 14, 2010, 12:11:34 PM »

Yeah, we all know the stories about people who abuse their pets, and those are horrible, but then there's the other type.  The, "Well, I've got a pet, but I'm really damn lazy/uncaring about looking after it."

Lost track of the number of times I've always ran over a dog that was just wondering around uncollared in the streets.  People, this is NOT the freaking countryside where you can just let your dogs roam free!  

Then we have the idiots that just let their animals breed wildly, and then they do things like put the puppies or kittens in a box and just leave them on a street corner.  DEAR GOD, that p**sES ME OFF!  Especially when our town has a paper that would let you list and ad for FREE so you could tell people you're giving them away and at least they might find a home.

I swear, this actually happened, my former neighbor had a puppy that was outside in a cage.  One day, I find the puppy just roaming around the parking lot, so, stupidly thinking the pet was lost or something, I picked the dog up, head over to the guys house, knocked on the door and said, "Uh, hi!  Is this your dog?"

He answers, "Yeah.  Do you want him?"

I'm a bit taken aback.  I mean, here I am stupidly thinking I was doing a good deed, you know reuniting loving owner with poor lost pet.  

I said, "Uh, well, I would, but they don't allow pets in the apartment."  

"Oh, well, I was just hoping someone would come along and take him."  

If I had a hand free, I think I would have done the face palm gesture.  

And I said, "Uh, sir, you know you could list in The Trader that you're giving a dog.  They'll let you put an advertisement in for free."

"Oh, okay."  He said, excitement level in his voice reaching somewhere just below Ben Stein in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.  "I'll do that."  

So, I handed him the puppy and left secure in the knowledge that he'd most likely "forget" to do the strenuous work necessary to make a phone call.  

(sigh)

And I know I've said this many times here and elsewhere, but this really makes me mad because I really WANT to have a pet, but I CAN'T because it's against the rules of where I live.  

Bluesad

Ditto. When I was part of a reptile owner/enthusiast club, part of our mandate was to educate the general public about responsible pet ownership regardless of what the pet actually was (cold-blooded animals were simply a point of emphasis because we were all sick of seeing people wanting to buy, say, baby iguanas without realizing that iguanas get really big, require expensive equipment to survive in captivity, need large enclosures, and tend to be aggresive). While we certainly never changed the mind of every person in the country, we did manage to get some people to realize that maybe they weren't ready for the kind of pet they were initially thinking about, or that maybe they just weren't ready for a pet at all.

On the same note, gift pets p**s me off. Yeah, some of them do well, but most of them end up as strays or get dumped on the doorstep of various pounds and animal shelters because the recipient doesn't want them anymore (usually because they end up being much more work than they anticipitated). The only time it's acceptable to give someone a pet as a gift is if they've expressed strong interest in owning the animal in question and have both the knowledge and the means to take care of one by the time that they receive the animal.

Btw, if anyone on this forum is thinking about getting an exotic pet, make sure you do your homework about the animal, that there's a vet somewhere within driving distance at least that's qualified to treat the animal if it gets sick (or pregnant), and that you get the animal from a breeder if possible (helps to reduce the strain on wild populations and if you go to a breeder you can find out a lot more about the specific critter than you could from a pet store).
BTM

« Reply #416 on: September 15, 2010, 10:28:49 AM »

If they start giving you that, say, "Yeah, I know, there were a lot great people who were vegan, like Hitler for example."

(And yes, that's not hyperbole, Hitler WAS vegan, and more so, he once berated his wife for using a brand of perfume that had been tested on animals.  If that doesn't blow your mind, I don't know what will.)

BTM

« Reply #417 on: September 15, 2010, 10:30:30 AM »

Lost track of the number of times I've always ran over a dog that was just wondering around uncollared in the streets.

OPPS!  Guys, that "always" should ALMOST!  I'm betting everyone already knew that, but I want to make sure.  :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 10:33:30 AM by BTM » Logged

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #418 on: September 15, 2010, 10:49:42 AM »

If they start giving you that, say, "Yeah, I know, there were a lot great people who were vegan, like Hitler for example."

(And yes, that's not hyperbole, Hitler WAS vegan, and more so, he once berated his wife for using a brand of perfume that had been tested on animals.  If that doesn't blow your mind, I don't know what will.)

Hitler loved animals, and had a German Shepherd named Blondi that he was very fond of. You want to really blow your mind, try to imagine Adolf Hitler finding homes for a litter of puppies. He was a more conscientious dog owner than your neighbour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blondi

And Hitler wasn't the only animal lover in the Nazi party leadership. The Nazis had strict laws regulating everything from hunting, slaughtering practices and medical research, right down to little things like boiling lobsters. If that isn't irony, I don't know what is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_welfare_in_Nazi_Germany

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #419 on: September 15, 2010, 10:58:52 AM »

People who stand outside of supermarkets asking for donations who don't seem to get why I can't stop while handling three kids to listen to their cause.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 162
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.