Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:21:11 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 162
Author Topic: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?  (Read 620185 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #420 on: September 15, 2010, 12:29:22 PM »

GODWIN...GODWIN...GODWIN...

We cannot have any reasonable dialog now that ya'll done went and mentioned teh HITLER.

In other words, people who let raw, emotional response to words they hear get in the way of objective discussion grinds my gears.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #421 on: September 15, 2010, 01:45:39 PM »

People who stand outside of supermarkets asking for donations who don't seem to get why I can't stop while handling three kids to listen to their cause.

Or the ones who manage to get a table right inside the entrance, so you can't discreetly avoid them. Not that I don't support fundraising, I just hate being put on the spot.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Skull
« Reply #422 on: September 15, 2010, 02:35:54 PM »

And Hitler wasn't the only animal lover in the Nazi party leadership. The Nazis had strict laws regulating everything from hunting, slaughtering practices and medical research, right down to little things like boiling lobsters. If that isn't irony, I don't know what is.

Why would the Nazi party put lipstick on a monkey when they can do it to a Jew?

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #423 on: September 15, 2010, 02:49:13 PM »

And Hitler wasn't the only animal lover in the Nazi party leadership. The Nazis had strict laws regulating everything from hunting, slaughtering practices and medical research, right down to little things like boiling lobsters. If that isn't irony, I don't know what is.

There are many things wrong with that statement, Skull, not the least of which is the use of present tense.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Skull
« Reply #424 on: September 15, 2010, 03:31:03 PM »

There are many things wrong with that statement, Skull, not the least of which is the use of present tense.

Oh you are so correct...  Smile

BTM

« Reply #425 on: September 15, 2010, 06:09:44 PM »

You know, actually, in a way it doesn't surprise me.  In many respects people seem to treat animals way better than they do their fellow human beings.  

I mean, for instance, did you know that laws to protect animals from abuse came into existence LONG before anyone thought to enact laws to protect children?  Heck, I remember reading in a history book that one of the first early child labor reforms was the generous principle that children, by law, could not work more than 12 hours a day.  I've been told that the first child abuse case was actually brought to court by a lawyer accusing someone of abusing an "animal".  After reading off a litany of horrible treatment, he had the animal (a young girl) brought into the courtroom.  The poor girl had been so abused she couldn't walk in on her violation; she had to be carried on a stretcher.

Another interesting incident: a jogger in, I believe it was Arizona, was attacked and killed by a cougar.  Well, some hunters tracked down and shot the cougar, who turned out to have two cubs.  So, two groups started two funds, one for the guy's wife and kids, the other for care of the two cubs.  I don't know the exact numbers, but I believe the fund for the guy got like $7,000 in donations, but the one of the cougar cubs got about $40,000 or so.  

I could name several more examples, but you get the point I think.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 10:12:31 AM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #426 on: September 15, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »

Things that are edited for television.  I recall my father always swearing at the TV when the setence came up before the movie that read "Edited For Content".  I do the same damn thing nowadays.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #427 on: September 15, 2010, 10:20:42 PM »

Department store greeters. I just want to do my shopping. Why can't I enter the store without having to interact with somebody they pay to say hello to me? All of these stores are built on a self-service model that just puts all the merchandise out in the store and eliminates most of the service that used to be necessary. So after decades of perfecting a system that allows me to walk in and grab what I need without any assistance at all, they need to pay a guy minimum wage to stand by the carts and pretend the personal service still exists. They can skip the friendly greeting and just have floor staff I can find when I do need assistance.

Honestly, I hate being compelled to interact with people who engage me because it's polite. Imagine how I feel about being confronted every single time by somebody who does it because it's in his job description. I can pull out my own cart, thank you. If I need any assistance, I'll ask somebody. And if I think you honestly give a damn how I'm doing, I'll tell you. Now get out of my way.

And then on the way out, trying to get through a temperamental self-checkout that will not cooperate, and a cashier who thinks it's my fault and hovers around talking to me like I've never used a goddamn debit card machine before.

Come to think of it, what really grinds my gears is being spoken down to by somebody who clearly knows a lot less than I do.

---------------------
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #428 on: September 16, 2010, 05:34:03 AM »

Department store greeters. I just want to do my shopping. Why can't I enter the store without having to interact with somebody they pay to say hello to me? All of these stores are built on a self-service model that just puts all the merchandise out in the store and eliminates most of the service that used to be necessary. So after decades of perfecting a system that allows me to walk in and grab what I need without any assistance at all, they need to pay a guy minimum wage to stand by the carts and pretend the personal service still exists. They can skip the friendly greeting and just have floor staff I can find when I do need assistance.

Honestly, I hate being compelled to interact with people who engage me because it's polite. Imagine how I feel about being confronted every single time by somebody who does it because it's in his job description. I can pull out my own cart, thank you. If I need any assistance, I'll ask somebody. And if I think you honestly give a damn how I'm doing, I'll tell you. Now get out of my way.

And then on the way out, trying to get through a temperamental self-checkout that will not cooperate, and a cashier who thinks it's my fault and hovers around talking to me like I've never used a goddamn debit card machine before.

Come to think of it, what really grinds my gears is being spoken down to by somebody who clearly knows a lot less than I do.
At a Walmart in the area there is this woman who is clearly miserable greeting people at the door.  Remember that character in Monster's Inc that constantly haunts Mike Wasowski about his "paperwork"?  Yep, same voice and scarily almost the same look.   Buggedout  She's known mainly for her unenthusiastic "welcome to Walmart" far and wide.  

Recently my wife was trying to pay for a purchase using two gift cards.  Easy enough right?  Nope, the cashier at Walmart insisted she couldn't do that when she had done it many times before.  I sat off to the side with three whining kids while this idiot tried time and time again to get it going.  I mean call the f'n manager.  This guy apparently didn't believe in this because he actually handed the scanner he was using to my wife and insisted she try it!   You bet your arse I called the store manager the next day.

Listen, I worked almost 10 years in retail during my high school/college years mostly.  I know the job sucks.  Nor am I'm  not going to claim to have been the best employee of all the time but at least I don't do a good majority of the atrocities I've seen in stores lately.  

Do not get Andy and I in a store together.  We would end up hurting most of the staff's feelings.   BounceGiggle

DarkSider's Realm

Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #429 on: September 16, 2010, 05:38:14 AM »

Oh and along the same lines as my last post and Andy's, generic customer service.  The "I don't really give a crap about you  nor your problems but I'm going to act like I do in order to score high on a quality survey my company will haunt you to take over the phone for in the next few weeks so here's a thank you card" kind of service.  Aka, car dealers, car rental places, etc.

DarkSider's Realm

Skull
« Reply #430 on: September 16, 2010, 06:20:24 AM »

Department store greeters is a psychological attack aimed towards shoplifters, in theory the greeting changes the mentality to shoplift because you entering a store that acknowledges your presence. I’m not sure if the theory actually works but that’s the reason why some stores has greeters.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #431 on: September 16, 2010, 06:39:40 AM »

Oh man I gate greeters.  They used to have retarded people doing that at Target in the Twin Cities.  My wife would grab me and make me wait until a (hopefully large) group of people were entering the store so we could sneak in un-greeted.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #432 on: September 16, 2010, 08:29:41 AM »

Oh do I know that one!  Count me in: that really gets my dander up.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #433 on: September 16, 2010, 08:46:40 AM »

Oh and along the same lines as my last post and Andy's, generic customer service.  The "I don't really give a crap about you  nor your problems but I'm going to act like I do in order to score high on a quality survey my company will haunt you to take over the phone for in the next few weeks so here's a thank you card" kind of service.  Aka, car dealers, car rental places, etc.

Oh yes, customer satisfaction surveys. I once had my bank call me up to ask how they can serve me better. I told them I'd be a much happier customer if they didn't abuse my personal information. Don't use the phone number on my account for anything other than calling me about specific issues regarding my money. Then I hung up.

And on the subject of arguing with cashiers, I once had to mail a bunch of packages for a little craft business my wife ran a few years back. All of them were little, non-breakable items that could go in a padded envelope. Rather than go to our usual post office, I decided to mail them at a convenient office supply store with a mail counter. I put them on the counter and ask to send them as oversized letters, as we usually did. This girl, probably about late high school or early college age, rings it all in and gives me a total that is way too high. When I ask, I find out that she was treating them as small packets instead of letters, and she was vehement that they had to go as parcels, in spite of anything I told her to the contrary. I finally sent her to ask someone, and she comes back, pulls out the slotted plastic gauge from behind the counter and tells me "They have to fit through this slot," in this tone of teenage authority that said I was asking something unreasonable and this thing would show me. I was so p**sed off at that point, I just told her point-blank "No s**t they do, and they will. One of us here has a clue what he's doing." She then got all sullen and grouchy, and muttered "Suit yourself" before silently doing what I asked her to do in the first place. There was a certain amount of satisfaction in taking the wind out of her sails, but it bothered me even more that she couldn't have reacted at least somewhat professionally.

I have too many stories like that.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 08:49:00 AM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #434 on: September 16, 2010, 09:23:17 AM »

Department store greeters is a psychological attack aimed towards shoplifters, in theory the greeting changes the mentality to shoplift because you entering a store that acknowledges your presence. I’m not sure if the theory actually works but that’s the reason why some stores has greeters.

Skull is correct about this. I used to sell music gear and we were very engaged with customers, from a sales and service perspective of course, but also to make sure that all potential shoplifters (music gear loves to be stolen) were acknowledged. That alone stops a very large portion of what would otherwise would have become theft.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 162
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.