Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:30:18 AM
713408 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 162
Author Topic: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?  (Read 624747 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #480 on: September 28, 2010, 11:42:52 PM »

Politics, I HATE ALL POLITICS, I DON'T GIVE A CRAP ABOUT THEM, it really p**ses me off when there's a robot answering me to vote for this guy. f**k OFF, I DON'T GIVE A CRAP. Why does the US ALWAYS revolve around Politics, why not something more useful than the Dow or Wall Street, THEY SUCK! I hate how one guy is running and tells the bad side of his opponent but doesn't tell what he'll do. I HATE TV AND PHONE ADS FOR SO AND SO! Hatred Hatred Hatred THEY CAN ALL GO STRAIGHT TO HELL< I WOULDN'T GIVE A f**k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thumbdown Hatred
I'm with you there. I care about where the country goes, but I can't stand all the horse#$#% that politics has become.

Add a "me too" to that list.

The day politics became a 'career' is the day our nation took a severe nosedive.

How does one order one's life around the premise of lying to everybody (including oneself) just to get ahead?  I often wonder if politicians ever really feel any remorse for the lives they lead.

Me...I'd rather talk about sailing.  Or picnics on a sunny day.  Or fishing.

Or...BAD MOVIES.   Cheers

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #481 on: September 29, 2010, 12:48:53 AM »

Politics, I HATE ALL POLITICS, I DON'T GIVE A CRAP ABOUT THEM, it really p**ses me off when there's a robot answering me to vote for this guy. f**k OFF, I DON'T GIVE A CRAP. Why does the US ALWAYS revolve around Politics, why not something more useful than the Dow or Wall Street, THEY SUCK! I hate how one guy is running and tells the bad side of his opponent but doesn't tell what he'll do. I HATE TV AND PHONE ADS FOR SO AND SO! Hatred Hatred Hatred THEY CAN ALL GO STRAIGHT TO HELL< I WOULDN'T GIVE A f**k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thumbdown Hatred
I'm with you there. I care about where the country goes, but I can't stand all the horse#$#% that politics has become.

The day politics became a 'career' is the day our nation took a severe nosedive.

How does one order one's life around the premise of lying to everybody (including oneself) just to get ahead?  I often wonder if politicians ever really feel any remorse for the lives they lead.

Me...I'd rather talk about sailing.  Or picnics on a sunny day.  Or fishing.

Or...BAD MOVIES.   Cheers
I have no illusions that politics in the old days where ever that polite or honest but as of late the political scene in the US is starting to resemble a 3 ring circus. I think the old politicians for the most part had their limits and when they ran smear campaigns people only had to hear/read so much of it,  but with the advent of the information age the hateful political rhetoric from politicians just gets easier and easier to see unfortunately. But as you said enough of the this depressing crap! To
BAD MOVIES Cheers
Skull
« Reply #482 on: September 29, 2010, 02:55:21 AM »

What depresses me:

People saying they dont care about politics... Really.

Politics is giving someone the right to control your life...

This is the dirty truth about politics and the voters need to start thinking who they are voting for.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 06:04:27 AM by Skull » Logged
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #483 on: September 29, 2010, 07:23:52 AM »

Here's one that has annoyed me for years. Radio stations just making up any call sign they want for marketing purposes, when it has absolutely nothing to do with what's on their licence.

It was one thing when a station made a catchy name out of their call sign through imagination and sheer luck, but now they just give themselves any letter combination they want. So now they can all have catchy call signs that sound like something out of a movie and mean absolutely nothing. Great. All the really catchy and creative branding built on real call signs is gone, and it's been replaced with stations calling themselves stuff like KOOL FM.

Just seems to be the way people think these days. They want something cool, but they don't want to get it the way everyone else did, which is half of what made it cool in the first place. If you lack the imagination to make something from the call sign you have, just make up a new call sign, usually one so blatantly cool it sounds like a lame cliche. Or hell, why bother imitating a real call sign when you can just use any word of any length?

Really, commercial radio in general grinds my gears. The call sign BS is just representative of the overall mentality in that business.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 07:28:08 AM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #484 on: September 29, 2010, 08:56:48 AM »

Here's one that has annoyed me for years. Radio stations just making up any call sign they want for marketing purposes, when it has absolutely nothing to do with what's on their licence.

It was one thing when a station made a catchy name out of their call sign through imagination and sheer luck, but now they just give themselves any letter combination they want. So now they can all have catchy call signs that sound like something out of a movie and mean absolutely nothing. Great. All the really catchy and creative branding built on real call signs is gone, and it's been replaced with stations calling themselves stuff like KOOL FM.

Just seems to be the way people think these days. They want something cool, but they don't want to get it the way everyone else did, which is half of what made it cool in the first place. If you lack the imagination to make something from the call sign you have, just make up a new call sign, usually one so blatantly cool it sounds like a lame cliche. Or hell, why bother imitating a real call sign when you can just use any word of any length?

Really, commercial radio in general grinds my gears. The call sign BS is just representative of the overall mentality in that business.
I worked in radio for about 5 years as a weekend jock.  We went with "The Rocket" but oddly never used any rocket sound effects in the station promos. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #485 on: September 29, 2010, 09:45:55 AM »

How does one order one's life around the premise of lying to everybody (including oneself) just to get ahead?  I often wonder if politicians ever really feel any remorse for the lives they lead.

Me...I'd rather talk about sailing.  Or picnics on a sunny day.  Or fishing.

Or...BAD MOVIES.   Cheers

Virtually all high-level elected officials are now hopelessly corrupt, and largely for that very reason. It's almost a linear equation: political power = absolute power = absolute corruption. So, career politicians have career corruption. They can't get around it. It's the only way to get into that position. It's part of the culture. The most conscientious, well-meaning, crusading man or woman in the world, if they spend enough time climbing the political ladder and doing what is necessary to rise, will eventually get corrupted. It's simple exposure and osmosis. That same person will probably be shocked and ashamed of what they have to do, then eventually acceptance will creep in, and after enough time they will embrace it fully.

Career politicians don't live in the same reality as the rest of us. They are akin to being an A-list Hollywood celebrity. Some were born into it(Drew Barrymore, Angelina Jolie), others were nobodies from Nowhere, USA who worked and become celebrities. The ones born into it are already out of touch with reality. The ones who had to work to get there may have come from a reality that fits the rest of us, but after enough time in the limelight, going to all the ridiculously lavish parties, having people fawn over them and fling gifts at them, having the money and ability to get out of legal jams that the rest of us can't get out of, eventually they just give in to it and they are no longer the same person they were.

So, yes, that is exactly what is wrong with America. And with the rise of the reality show culture, where nobodies can get some of that at least on a short-term basis, being corrupted and unprincipled is something people now aspire to. Pretty soon politicians won't even have to hide how corrupt they are because Americans will admire them for it. It will almost be a voting point. "I am more corrupt and unscrupulous than that guy, so you should vote for me."

Isn't it pretty close to that already?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 09:55:50 AM by Flick James » Logged

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Skull
« Reply #486 on: September 29, 2010, 10:31:38 AM »

Virtually all high-level elected officials are now hopelessly corrupt, and largely for that very reason. It's almost a linear equation: political power = absolute power = absolute corruption. So, career politicians have career corruption. They can't get around it. It's the only way to get into that position. It's part of the culture. The most conscientious, well-meaning, crusading man or woman in the world, if they spend enough time climbing the political ladder and doing what is necessary to rise, will eventually get corrupted. It's simple exposure and osmosis. That same person will probably be shocked and ashamed of what they have to do, then eventually acceptance will creep in, and after enough time they will embrace it fully.

You are thinking like me…

Although I do believe not all politicians are corrupt but it really hard to filter the good and the bad when the majority is corrupt.

Career politicians don't live in the same reality as the rest of us. They are akin to being an A-list Hollywood celebrity. Some were born into it(Drew Barrymore, Angelina Jolie), others were nobodies from Nowhere, USA who worked and become celebrities. The ones born into it are already out of touch with reality. The ones who had to work to get there may have come from a reality that fits the rest of us, but after enough time in the limelight, going to all the ridiculously lavish parties, having people fawn over them and fling gifts at them, having the money and ability to get out of legal jams that the rest of us can't get out of, eventually they just give in to it and they are no longer the same person they were.

Sad and true… I’ve often wonder how this happen? Originally our founding fathers believed a politician is the voice of several people that has an issue to be resolved, that person does his/her thing and returns home at the end of the day. There was no intention for Career Politicians to be acting like KINGS/QUEENS; this is why the founding fathers gave us the constitution and the bill of rights (freedom of speech/right to own guns, etc.) to protect the citizens from government.

I’ve often wondered why people would elect anybody that is talking about gun control.

So, yes, that is exactly what is wrong with America. And with the rise of the reality show culture, where nobodies can get some of that at least on a short-term basis, being corrupted and unprincipled is something people now aspire to. Pretty soon politicians won't even have to hide how corrupt they are because Americans will admire them for it. It will almost be a voting point. "I am more corrupt and unscrupulous than that guy, so you should vote for me."

Isn't it pretty close to that already?

I’m not quite sure… The tea party movement is making a point that they are sick of the BS. I also agree with the movement and we are watching history in the making… This is going to be the most important election ever because many corrupt politicians are going to lose there seats [especially for voting for the HEALTHCARE LAW].
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #487 on: September 29, 2010, 10:49:07 AM »

I’m not quite sure… The tea party movement is making a point that they are sick of the BS. I also agree with the movement and we are watching history in the making… This is going to be the most important election ever because many corrupt politicians are going to lose there seats [especially for voting for the HEALTHCARE LAW].

That's an extreme long shot, my friend. In all liklihood they will become just as corrupt as those that went out. Here in Arizona, I laughed at Ben Quayle's (the son of Dan Quayle) campaign ads. His ad closed with the remarks "Somebody has to go to Washington and knock the hell out of the place." Yeah, buddy. First, you didn't say that was going to be you, did you? Second, even if you were being sincere with that statement, you may go to Washington with that intent, but enough time spent pandering to your party and enjoying the perks of Congress and getting re-elected, you'll be just as corrupt as the rest of them. Career politics is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Skull
« Reply #488 on: September 29, 2010, 11:02:55 AM »

I dont think it's really a long shot. There were some Career Republicans that just lost the primary election because the TEA PARTY. They are not just targeting Democraps..  TeddyR
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #489 on: September 29, 2010, 11:06:31 AM »

I dont think it's really a long shot. There were some Career Republicans that just lost the primary election because the TEA PARTY. They are not just targeting Democraps..  TeddyR

I wasn't making any partisan slants in either direction. I don't doubt the Tea Party movements veracity, only the ability of the newly elected officials to avoid succumbing to the corruption.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #490 on: September 29, 2010, 11:17:36 AM »

I worked in radio for about 5 years as a weekend jock.  We went with "The Rocket" but oddly never used any rocket sound effects in the station promos. 

No kidding? I'm at once impressed and sympathetic. TeddyR

Weekend jock is kind of the "Professor and Mary Ann" of on-air personalities, isn't it?

No offense. I used to be editor of a small-town newspaper. I was a celebrity to a couple of thousand people living within a ten-mile radius.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #491 on: September 29, 2010, 08:17:29 PM »

What grinds my gears?

Two Words:

Bill Maher! Hatred Hatred Hatred Hatred Hatred

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #492 on: September 30, 2010, 11:38:46 AM »

What grinds my gears?

Two Words:

Bill Maher! Hatred Hatred Hatred Hatred Hatred

Well, indiana, I've always respected you, and I don't see that ever changing, but I'm sure this is due to your personal politics. Personally, I'm an equal-opportunity ridiculer, and he doesn't grind my, even though I disagree with about as many things he does as I appreciate. I think he's a bit of a joke in some areas, but I enjoy his skewering of the right just as much as I enjoy Trey Parker and Matt Stone's pokes at the left. I'm not going to put words into your mouth, but I do think that people hold on too tightly to their republican/democrat sympathies, and therefore get very offended by people like Bill Maher and whatever right side equivalent. I have loyalty to the United States, but I hold absolutely NO loyalty to either side of the two-party joke.

But keep this in mind. The fact that people like Bill Maher and Rush Limbaugh are out there p**sing people off is a good thing. It means our 1st Amendment is still at least partially working. There are no boundaries to free speech. Anyone who says there are or thinks there should be obviously ignored the word "free." People like Larry Flynt and Howard Stern are the litmus test of the 1st Amendment, and I always applaud people like that, whether I agree with what they do or not, because they keep free speech alive. They are constantly pushing the boundaries and proving to the world that, no matter how much one may despise what a person represents, free speech is free speech and you either accept it on its own terms, or you reject it entirely, there's no in-between. Am I placing Bill Maher in the same league with Larry Flynt or Howard Stern? Not a chance, but I think you get my point.

Skull
« Reply #493 on: September 30, 2010, 12:12:10 PM »

Flick ~ Agree 100% on you...

Although it annoys me when President Obama (or any other political offical) attacks FoxNEWS/Rush or the Tea Party. They do have the right of freedom of speech (just like the Hippies in the 1960's) and government shouldnt voice any opinions against that right.

It also annoys me when general news (I'm not even sure what to call them) isnt reporting news but propagands... I dont watch the news when I'm home but my Uncle does... and he typically watches CNN and everytime I see him, I cannot believe what I'm hearing from the news. Do they not realize people can look for the source information online to check the facts or they expect their viewers to be that lazy?

Unfortunately CNN has the same freedom of speech...

Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #494 on: September 30, 2010, 12:43:40 PM »

Condoms and lotions that claim that it will highten sexual feelings.  Either you got it or you don't.   TeddyR

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 162
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.