Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:38:34 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 162
Author Topic: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?  (Read 624168 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #525 on: October 05, 2010, 02:07:37 PM »

Some people just seem to have a hard time grasping the idea of other people not liking the same things they like.

I always think back to the Star Trek TNG episode where Worf's brother tries some roast turkey to be sociable and spits it right back out. Then he explains that while it is probably well prepared for what it is, his palate is used to stronger-tasting food.

Makes perfect sense. It shouldn't be taken as an insult if you don't want to eat something. It's not about the food, which some people obviously do like or it wouldn't be there. It's about someone's personal taste. Get over it.

When we compare notes on this stuff, I'm struck by how much pressure there is to conform, even in something as innocent as sharing food. I have to like what you like. It's inconceivable that I wouldn't and a slight to you if I don't. There's something wrong with me if I don't. Same thing when you like something other people don't like, such as bad movies. The "I'm OK, you're OK" stuff goes out the window pretty quickly in practice.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Skull
« Reply #526 on: October 05, 2010, 03:28:14 PM »

Some people just seem to have a hard time grasping the idea of other people not liking the same things they like.

So true and I'm happy we all dont have the same tastes... Life would be a bore.
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #527 on: October 05, 2010, 04:25:59 PM »

True. Well, except for aspic. All peoples love aspic. But then that's only common sense, isn't it?

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Skull
« Reply #528 on: October 05, 2010, 05:00:43 PM »

True. Well, except for aspic. All peoples love aspic. But then that's only common sense, isn't it?

I love aspic but My wife will never touch the stuff...  BounceGiggle
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #529 on: October 05, 2010, 05:52:28 PM »

Love the food stories gents.  BounceGiggle Thumbup 

I think my dislike of the forcing food thing comes from my mother.  She'd always be the one thats like;
"You want some peas"
"No"
"They're good I'll go get you some"
"No Ma, I'm all set"
(getting up out of her seat grabbing a ladle full from the pot on the stove) "Here, here try them"
"Ma dammit I'm all set"

She'd usually end up plopping them on my plate anyhow.  Let me just add, if I really like a food and someone says no I usually think "thats good, more for me".

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #530 on: October 05, 2010, 08:31:53 PM »

That annoying pop-up Advil game ad sometimes advertised on this site...it's really annoying!!!

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #531 on: October 05, 2010, 10:35:42 PM »

Love the food stories gents.  BounceGiggle Thumbup 

I think my dislike of the forcing food thing comes from my mother.  She'd always be the one thats like;
"You want some peas"
"No"
"They're good I'll go get you some"
"No Ma, I'm all set"
(getting up out of her seat grabbing a ladle full from the pot on the stove) "Here, here try them"
"Ma dammit I'm all set"

She'd usually end up plopping them on my plate anyhow.  Let me just add, if I really like a food and someone says no I usually think "thats good, more for me".

On the flip side, I personally consider it to be extremely rude not to at least try whatever your host has served you when you're a guest somewhere. If they just ordered a pizza or something, whatever, you can choose not to eat it and it wouldn't bother me. If your host cooked something for you, at least have enough to taste. When I cook for people I do try to include at least one thing that each person will like. If someone at the table has never had something I've made before, I expect them to try a bit (if I know someone has an allergy I won't cook with that ingredient, so that isn't a valid excuse to get out of trying something).

I mean, my friends and family are adults. They can damn well make themselves eat *gasp* a teaspoon of something new without falling over dead. If they try it and don't like it (whether it's their own taste or I messed up in the preparation), fine. I'll happily see if there's anything else they'll like that can be whipped up quickly. I don't like my guests leaving my house hungry, after all.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #532 on: October 06, 2010, 08:47:14 AM »

Food preferences.  I think they fall into the category of "things you cannot argue".  So much depends on what you are accustomed to, as well.

My family did not eat much fish.  As a consequence, fish is not something I find I can appreciate as a food.  Most of it I do not like at all.  (My husband, otoh, grew up scarfing down as much fresh-caught fish as he could haul out of the water).

While on a horseback riding trip into the Rockies, I gave a fellow rider some help with his riding.  When we got to our day's campsite, up on a mountain, he went off fishing in a little land-locked lake up nearer the peak (it was July and there was still a huge drift of snow along the shore! Buggedout ).  He came back and proudly presented me with a beautiful trout for dinner (everyone else had grilled chicken) as a 'thank you'.  My hesitation was minimal: I ate it and it was good.  I'm thinking fresh-caught mountain trout just may be the exception to my 'fish is ish' opinion.

Besides: my husband was not on the trip and he would never have forgiven me had I forgone eating that trout!

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #533 on: October 06, 2010, 09:12:49 AM »

On the flip side, I personally consider it to be extremely rude not to at least try whatever your host has served you when you're a guest somewhere. If they just ordered a pizza or something, whatever, you can choose not to eat it and it wouldn't bother me. If your host cooked something for you, at least have enough to taste. When I cook for people I do try to include at least one thing that each person will like. If someone at the table has never had something I've made before, I expect them to try a bit (if I know someone has an allergy I won't cook with that ingredient, so that isn't a valid excuse to get out of trying something).

I mean, my friends and family are adults. They can damn well make themselves eat *gasp* a teaspoon of something new without falling over dead. If they try it and don't like it (whether it's their own taste or I messed up in the preparation), fine. I'll happily see if there's anything else they'll like that can be whipped up quickly. I don't like my guests leaving my house hungry, after all.

You're right, but you're also a thoughtful enough host to consider the likes and dislikes of your guests, and plan accordingly. I'm also guessing that if you try to make something each guest will like, you probably aren't concerned that everyone take some of every single dish on the table. It's OK if they take a pass on one or two things.

Being married to a minister, I do occasionally have to dine at people's homes. I've gotten dinner invitations that included a brief verbal quiz on what I like and don't like, and that really impressed me, although I usually find that the people who consider the tastes of their guests are good cooks anyway.

I think the general complaint here, and Darksider and Flick James can correct me if I'm wrong, is people who don't consider other people's tastes. "I think it's good and therefore you will too" or "I think I make the best such-and-such, and my personal pride demands your approval." Maybe it's just embarrassment at having perhaps made a mistake in choosing a dish for a particular guest. I can see where it would be troubling to make something you expect a guest will like and it turns out to be something they don't like, but continuing to push it is putting the responsibility on the guest to make the situation right.

I also do agree that for an unfamiliar dish, taking a taste is the least someone can do, but a host should also trust that guests know what they like and don't like. No matter how good your coleslaw is, it's going to fit at least somewhat to a standard or it wouldn't be coleslaw. It's still going to have the same basic ingredients put together in the same basic way that make it coleslaw. If Flick James doesn't like coleslaw in general, he's not going to like mine, no matter how well it compares to other coleslaws. It's still coleslaw. The only time I've seen someone change their mind about a dish they thought they didn't like was with something that varies widely in its preparation and the quality of its ingredients - chicken soup, meatloaf, roast beef.

Actually, meat dishes are a major one, because the cut of meat and the way it's prepared will make or break a dish. My wife generally doesn't like meatloaf or roast beef or stew, but she likes mine. For that matter, I generally don't like meatloaf or roast beef or stew, but I like mine. That's because a lot of people use cheap meat and prepare it in the quickest, most direct way possible. I don't completely trust unfamiliar cooking, because there are some very experienced and capable cooks out there who know how to prepare a lot of dishes, but don't know anything beyond the step-by-step preparation. Knowing general cooking theory makes a big difference. My mom was like that. She knew how to follow a recipe, she knew how she was taught to prepare things, and she knew some of the basics of what ingredients did, but she really didn't have a good grasp of how it all worked. She would be considered by a lot of people to be a good cook, but she mainly stuck to what worked for her. The vast majority of my meals growing up were of the meat, two veg and potato variety. There are a few foods I didn't like growing up that turned out to be just a result of my mom's choice of ingredients, cooking methods, temperatures, times, etc. Things like that I will always give a fair try, because liking them depends very much on how they're made.

But no matter how something is prepared, if I don't like the basic ingredients, it should be safe to say I'm not going to like the dish. I had a chicken curry pot pie at a pub once. The meat was good, the sauce was good, the pastry was good. I sent it back because I took a bite and found it had raisins in it, which ruined the dish for me. If a dish has raisins, I don't need to taste it to know I don't like it. It could be delicious, but it's going to be delicious food full of disgusting little chewy sacks of goo.

---------------------
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #534 on: October 06, 2010, 10:18:25 AM »

It just bugs me because I've had family visit and was warned not to cook for them because they'd flat-out refuse to even try it because it wouldn't be made exactly the way their mother made it (as in, greasy, tasteless, and/or deep-fried). You can't tell me that's not kind of rude on their part, especially since I hadn't seen them in years and we only got to see each other for a few hours.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #535 on: October 06, 2010, 10:56:21 AM »

What gmg is that I haven't been able to eat for the past two days because of dental work I had done and I am hungry and there's no way that I can get to Newt, Andy or Gravekeeper's house for a bite to eat. [VERY LOUD TUMMY RUMBLES REPORTED AS MAJOR EARTH TREMOR IN SOUTH AFRICA]  Wink TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #536 on: October 06, 2010, 11:05:14 AM »

It just bugs me because I've had family visit and was warned not to cook for them because they'd flat-out refuse to even try it because it wouldn't be made exactly the way their mother made it (as in, greasy, tasteless, and/or deep-fried). You can't tell me that's not kind of rude on their part, especially since I hadn't seen them in years and we only got to see each other for a few hours.

It's all good, Gravekeeper. This is a venting thread. Your disdain for people refusing to try is just as viable and my disdain for people trying to force the issue of me trying something I don't want to eat.

And the world keeps on a-spinnin'  TeddyR

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #537 on: October 06, 2010, 12:35:23 PM »

What gmg is that I haven't been able to eat for the past two days because of dental work I had done and I am hungry and there's no way that I can get to Newt, Andy or Gravekeeper's house for a bite to eat. [VERY LOUD TUMMY RUMBLES REPORTED AS MAJOR EARTH TREMOR IN SOUTH AFRICA]  Wink TeddyR
Awww Trev!  Bluesad  And I am right this moment in the process of making 'Applescotch' pies, too! 

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #538 on: October 06, 2010, 01:04:51 PM »

I got into work early this morning with a ton of stuff to finish, so I've been going all day on nothing but coffee and Jos Louis.

---------------------
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #539 on: October 06, 2010, 01:37:17 PM »

Awww Trev!  Bluesad  And I am right this moment in the process of making 'Applescotch' pies, too! 

CNN is reporting major seismic activity in the city of Pretoria, South Africa. The epicenter is rumored to be in the east of that city where a very hungry  man has just been told by a friend that pies are cooking. We now break for a musical interlude by Fleetwood Mac and their song called Tell Me Lies .... apologies, the song is actually called Feed Me Pies.

Wink TeddyR TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 162
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.