Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:37:34 AM
713337 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 162
Author Topic: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?  (Read 624350 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #600 on: October 18, 2010, 06:55:52 AM »

I also believe there was a shortage for oil for non-gas products in the last 2 or 3 years or it has gotten too expensive. I remember noticing the change on bottled Laundry Soap that the products are suddenly "condensed" and the bottles are suddenly smaller. I just don’t buy the idea that 3 or 4 major (and generic) Laundry Soap companies has "condensed" the formula so they could reduce the size of soap bottles because it's good for the environment (or whatever reason they are telling us).

I’ve also doubt the formula is really “condensed.”

The smaller bottles in the past few years is not because of a shortage of non-gas oil resources.  It was done shortly after the large fuel spike after Katrina (and others the same year) hit the Gulf Coast and reduced refining capacity temporarily.

The packaging size was reduced so that more units of a given product could fit on the same size truck; the companies could haul more goods for the same shipping costs.  Even non-plastic packaged items were reduced.  For example, have you noticed that ice cream is no longer sold in 1/2 gallon packages, but that they are slightly smaller?

At least that is what I heard announced way back when ... gasoline was way up and diesel was over $5 per gallon, and all the economic forecasters were predicting HUGE price increases on every consumer good in America due to the high shipping costs.  This was one way to curb that spike.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #601 on: October 18, 2010, 08:25:04 AM »

OK, here's one that always bugs me. The flimsy plastic bags supermarkets switched to a few years back. I have no problem with using as little material as possible, but these bags only hold their contents in when you hold them by the handles. Set them down and anything inside that decides to tip over or roll around will get no resistance from the bag. It will obligingly slide out of the way of a rolling can as if it weren't there at all. Loading groceries into the car, I have to make sure everything is wedged against something else for support, and even then things go rolling everywhere the first time I turn a corner. Try as I might, there is no way to avoid it, short of taking every corner at the speed of a parade float. There has to be some way they can design a bag so it won't yield so easily to shifting contents.

And on the subject of shopping bags, it also annoys me that cashiers assume that just because they now charge a nickel a bag, I'm going to want everything crammed into one bag. Very considerate of them, but I'll pay an extra nickel or a dime to keep my heavy cans from crushing my potato chips and my hot rotisserie chicken from melting my frozen peas. I live in a small town, so I think after a while my preferences would be known at the local Foodland, where I go several times a week. But I keep having to ask for another bag after the cashier has gone to far too much trouble to pack it all into one. Just pack them as if they're still free, use as many as necessary, and I'll pay the extra dime. I really don't mind.
You know, I thought the bags breaking a lot lately was simply bad luck for me. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #602 on: October 18, 2010, 10:02:10 AM »

That's why I switched to reusable bags. The conservation aspect of it is only part of the reason. They hold more, they don't break, things tend not to roll out of them, they just work better in general. Also, I'm just in favor of re-using in general.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Skull
« Reply #603 on: October 18, 2010, 10:07:22 AM »

That's why I switched to reusable bags. The conservation aspect of it is only part of the reason. They hold more, they don't break, things tend not to roll out of them, they just work better in general. Also, I'm just in favor of re-using in general.

lol... dont forget to wash those reusable bags (there was a news report on how much germs they collect because people dont think about washing the reusable bags)
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #604 on: October 18, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »

lol... dont forget to wash those reusable bags (there was a news report on how much germs they collect because people dont think about washing the reusable bags)

I don't worry about it too much. Everthing I put in this is either in a sealed package, or it's produce, which I wash before I use anyway.

Skull
« Reply #605 on: October 18, 2010, 11:53:35 AM »

I don't worry about it too much. Everthing I put in this is either in a sealed package, or it's produce, which I wash before I use anyway.

lol... next time look and see how many people (especially children) sneeze and touch items and place them back... it's those germs are collected onto the bag and when you touch items in the bag you are touching germs that has been alive for days, weeks and mixing with other germs...  Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout

Wash those bags!!!
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #606 on: October 18, 2010, 11:55:43 AM »

We have reusable bags too, but when I just have to pick a few things up on the way home, I don't have them with me. I don't particularly like them anyway. I seem to be constantly picking the things up off the floor and stuffing them back in the cupboard, where they tend to eat up a lot of space. We have to keep a lot of them around, just because they get used for carrying other stuff besides groceries. But that's really beside the point. My beef is that if I'm willing to pay for the plastic bags, they could at least supply a bag that works.

It seems like the stores around here start with the assumption that I don't want the plastic bags and will object to paying for any more than the absolute minimum number of them. I walk up and put my groceries on the counter, I'm totally empty-handed, and they always ask if I want bags. Of course I want bags. Then, if I don't say anything, they'll go out of their way to play Tetris with my groceries before giving up and reluctantly putting some of them in an extra bag. I have to make a special request to have hot food bagged separately from things it could melt or wilt, or raw meat in its own bag, which to me should be required as a matter of food safety. And anything with a handle on it gets left out of the bag. I can carry three or four bags of groceries to the car without using a cart. I can't carry two bags of groceries and three large jugs.

I'm sure there are cheapskates who demand that everything get crammed into one bag, will quietly stand there and watch the cashier struggle to accomplish the task, and get annoyed if they have to pay an extra nickel. I personally want plastic bags. I want as many as necessary to carry my groceries easily, efficiently and without damaging them. And I see a few nickels as a fraction of a percent of the cost of my groceries. I wish they would start with the assumption that people who use plastic bags and pay extra for plastic bags actually want plastic bags, and should get something decent for their money. I don't mind if the bags are biodegradable or use very little material, as long as their functionality is not affected.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #607 on: October 18, 2010, 12:29:24 PM »

lol... next time look and see how many people (especially children) sneeze and touch items and place them back... it's those germs are collected onto the bag and when you touch items in the bag you are touching germs that has been alive for days, weeks and mixing with other germs...  Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout

Wash those bags!!!

Okay, I'll wash them. I guess I don't worry about it because I have two kids and we don't get sick more often than the norm of what kids pick up from school/nursery.

3mnkids

« Reply #608 on: October 18, 2010, 04:45:12 PM »

Coffee makers that advertise they are "spill free". No they are not! I pour slowly and it spills. I pour at an angle and it spills.I pour straight on and it spills.  Its going to spill no matter what, dammit.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Skull
« Reply #609 on: October 18, 2010, 04:49:23 PM »

Coffee makers that advertise they are "spill free". No they are not! I pour slowly and it spills. I pour at an angle and it spills.I pour straight on and it spills.  Its going to spill no matter what, dammit.

lol... maybe the coffee makers are saying the spill is free...
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #610 on: October 18, 2010, 04:54:33 PM »

lol... maybe the coffee makers are saying the spill is free...

BounceGiggle

Or that it spills freely.

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #611 on: October 18, 2010, 05:06:43 PM »

Am I the only one who wonders and worries about reusable bags possibly being used to hide concealed weapons???

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #612 on: October 18, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »

Am I the only one who wonders and worries about reusable bags possibly being used to hide concealed weapons???

I don't know if you're the only one, but I've never wondered about it. I'd be more worried about a gym bag or an instrument case (watched Desperado and Falling Down too many times I guess).

I'm too busy laughing at the image of some guy pulling an Uzi out of a (insert local supermarket chain) bag.

BounceGiggle

Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #613 on: October 18, 2010, 06:13:42 PM »

Skateboarders, or certain ones anyhow.  Its one thing to be out with your friends at a skate park or individual's place.  Its another thing to be hurling your body off steps on private property or a businessplace around people walking in and out of a building. These are the same twerps that get PO'd when they are asked to leave.  Sorry, its loitering on wheels.  Theres a reason I take pleasure in watching videos of people falling off their boards and breaking their limbs. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #614 on: October 19, 2010, 08:20:04 AM »

I'm too busy laughing at the image of some guy pulling an Uzi out of a (insert local supermarket chain) bag.

The stores around here like to cover both sides of their reusable bags with enlarged photos of fruit, bulk candy, etc. Imagine somebody pulling a sawed-off shotgun out of a bag covered in delicious-looking four-inch blueberries. BounceGiggle

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 162
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.