Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:03:53 AM
714199 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 162
Author Topic: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?  (Read 631386 times)
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #645 on: October 22, 2010, 01:55:44 PM »

Most of the artwork that's popular on deviantart really annoys me.

For starters: I know that I'm not that great of an artist (although I'm getting better) and that none of my stuff is gonna wind up on the front page. As long as my friends like my art, I'm happy.

My problem is with the overpopulation of anime geeks on devianart. Now, I personally think anime is extremely overrated, and find alot (but not everyone) of the fans to be pretty freakish and obsessive.

Every time you look at what's popular on the front page, nine times out of ten there'll be anime. Most of it isn't really that great (though I admit that there have been few good ones). What really drives me insane is that you can work your ass off trying to make good artwork and it'll only get, at most, two hundred or so views. If you draw anime, it doesn't matter how s**tty it looks because you can guarantee that it'll get over a thousand views and a couple of hundred faves. It's not fair to the other artists who put REAL effort in their works.  Hatred Hatred Hatred Hatred Hatred Hatred Hatred

Many a time I've found portraits/paintings/etc that were amazing. When looking at it's popularity, it's usually disappointingly low. It's also happened were I come across some really poorly drawn anime that has high popularity and tons of fans praising its "cute" (*bleeeccchh*) factor.

It may be minor to some, but this is really p**sing me off.

Since when has deviantart been a legitimate art site? Yeah, I have some of my own stuff there, but the fact that you can't offer an honest critique with the intent of helping the artist improve by pointing out their flaws and helping them to correct them seriously hurts the site's reputation. Too many fragile egos there, too many people in power who take popular artists' sides even if the artist was clearly out-of-line.

Maybe it was once an actual artist community filled with people who were interested in building careers, networks and skills, but now it is simply a place to put up whatever images you want for free and a place to get lots of attention for less work. There are other art sites for more serious artists, and many professionals just have their own website anyway.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #646 on: October 22, 2010, 07:33:17 PM »

hi
People who win the lottery, When asked what they might do with their winnings they reply.

I don,t know,i haven,t really thought about it,but one thing i do know is that winning this huge amount of money won,t change me a bit.I will still shop for all the discounts.

"Won,t change you"!!!!!! "Still shop for discounts"!!!

W.T.F. get out of here.
I win the lottery and i am going straight to the top stores in London and having me some retail fun...

lol... we all know what to do if we win millions of dollars, but it all changes when you actually win the million dollars because you want to keep it for a long, long time.
let's see, get a Mustang (in a manual of course Wink) buy heck of a lot of LEGOS and Bad movies! that's about it, also including a bike  TongueOut

yeah no.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #647 on: October 22, 2010, 09:55:04 PM »

If you draw anime, it doesn't matter how s**tty it looks because you can guarantee that it'll get over a thousand views and a couple of hundred faves.
Speaking as somebody that's draw some rather horrible anime art on that site, I have to disagree. 
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #648 on: October 26, 2010, 07:42:39 PM »

what my class is doing for Spirit Week- Jazzercise! WHAT THE F**K WERE THESE KIDS THINKING? It's bad enough that we have to dress up in 80's colours, but they want to put Richard f**king Simmons, yes, that f**king creep, on our banner?you know, I was helping our class to win, hell, I even dressed up as a gorilla today for Superhero day (I was KING KONG, my other homie! TeddyR), but since we're in second, behind the Senors, I think I'm going to throw in the towel! Hatred

yeah no.
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #649 on: October 28, 2010, 01:50:21 PM »

You know what manner of speaking I despise? When people preface what they are going to say with "honestly" or "truthfully" or "to be honest with you..."

When people say this to me, I feel like saying "so, you may have been bulls**tting me up to now?" Seriously, what else could that wretched phrase possibly imply? This manner of speaking is particularly troublesome when the person is trying to sell me something. BIG RED FLAG that something dishonest or misleading has transpired or will transpire.

I know that some people do this without even realizing it or meaning to imply anything. You need to stop. It is very bad form.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Jim H

« Reply #650 on: October 29, 2010, 02:57:48 AM »

You know what manner of speaking I despise? When people preface what they are going to say with "honestly" or "truthfully" or "to be honest with you..."

When people say this to me, I feel like saying "so, you may have been bulls**tting me up to now?" Seriously, what else could that wretched phrase possibly imply? This manner of speaking is particularly troublesome when the person is trying to sell me something. BIG RED FLAG that something dishonest or misleading has transpired or will transpire.

I know that some people do this without even realizing it or meaning to imply anything. You need to stop. It is very bad form.

A lot of people use it as a flag to indicate they're not trying to be rude.  Similar to saying "In my opinion".  It shouldn't be needed, but there are a lot of extremely sensitive people on the internet with poor reading comprehension, so nice people often try to be excessively polite.

It annoys me that its ever needed. 

As another thing that bugs me: people who respond to the subject line of a thread on a forum without reading the rest of the message.  I've had that happen here a few times.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #651 on: October 29, 2010, 07:09:26 AM »

A lot of people use it as a flag to indicate they're not trying to be rude.  Similar to saying "In my opinion".  It shouldn't be needed, but there are a lot of extremely sensitive people on the internet with poor reading comprehension, so nice people often try to be excessively polite.

That's the way I see it. In that situation, "honest" is not so much meant to indicate truthfulness as it is getting right to the point, shooting from the hip, not mincing words. "To be perfectly frank..."

Similar thing with words like "actually" or "really." When they are used redundantly to preface a statement, the speaker's intention is more to indicate that they think what they are saying might seem counterintuitive to some people, or at least unexpected, slightly ironic or perhaps mildly surprising.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #652 on: October 29, 2010, 11:56:18 PM »

I tend to use it to indicate that while what I'm about to say isn't necessarily pleasant, I'm not saying it to be mean; it is something I feel needs to be said for the good of the person in question. Eg- "I'm going to be honest...your grammar is so bad that I can't figure out what you're trying to say." (not aimed at anyone in particular, it's just an example).
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #653 on: October 30, 2010, 12:28:47 AM »

I blame my Canadian over-politeness for stuff like that...

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #654 on: October 30, 2010, 12:29:23 AM »

I tend to use it to indicate that while what I'm about to say isn't necessarily pleasant, I'm not saying it to be mean; it is something I feel needs to be said for the good of the person in question. Eg- "I'm going to be honest...your grammar is so bad that I can't figure out what you're trying to say." (not aimed at anyone in particular, it's just an example).
I'm the same way.  I don't use it because I don't want to sound rude, I use it because I'm going to say something that probably is going to come off as rude.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #655 on: October 30, 2010, 06:16:01 AM »

I'm the same way.  I don't use it because I don't want to sound rude, I use it because I'm going to say something that probably is going to come off as rude.
I just think it would be easier to say "I'm going to be an A-hole when I say this and don't care". 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #656 on: October 30, 2010, 09:59:25 AM »

I'm the same way.  I don't use it because I don't want to sound rude, I use it because I'm going to say something that probably is going to come off as rude.
I just think it would be easier to say "I'm going to be an A-hole when I say this and don't care". 

But that's my point. I don't say things like that to be an a**hole, I say them because I want the other person to improve at least a little bit. If I say "I'm going to be honest" or something along those lines, then it's a pretty good indicator that I at least give a tiny whiff about the other person.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #657 on: October 30, 2010, 01:25:24 PM »

People on the imdb claiming that the film they've just viewed is 'The Wost Movie Ever' when you know you can think of dozens worse.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #658 on: October 30, 2010, 03:53:13 PM »

Scumbag pieces of sh!t who are too cheap ass to buy Halloween candy and leave their lights off.  But even better, they send their kids out (who are way too old) to trick or treat.  Yep, theres someone who lives near me who does it.   Lookingup Hatred Thumbdown

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #659 on: October 30, 2010, 06:47:36 PM »

Scumbag pieces of sh!t who are too cheap ass to buy Halloween candy and leave their lights off.  But even better, they send their kids out (who are way too old) to trick or treat.  Yep, theres someone who lives near me who does it.   Lookingup Hatred Thumbdown
should I go up to them and ask for candy in my gorilla suit? TeddyR

yeah no.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 162
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.