Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:40:00 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 162
Author Topic: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?  (Read 624169 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #660 on: October 31, 2010, 10:49:33 AM »

Going back to grocery shopping, I hate it when people think they can manhandle the produce before they've bought it. I'm sorry, but I don't like picking up a nice, ripe, red tomato that is absolutely flawless except for a bunch of other people's thumbnail marks. I don't care what your mom taught you about testing ripeness, you don't damage a piece of produce you haven't paid for.

Want to know how I judge ripeness? A ripe tomato is red. Too light, and it's not ripe. Too dark, and it's overripe. Works for me. I can hold it in my hand and tell if it's too hard or too soft. Whatever subtle difference in texture might be detected with a thumbnail, nobody has the right to go digging their thumbnails into every tomato that isn't already bruised or marked in some way. At my local supermarket, it can be hard enough finding a tomato that hasn't been damaged at some point between the farm and the store without people deliberately damaging the good stuff, then leaving it for me because it didn't meet their standards.

Oh, and another thing that grinds my gears - looking out on Halloween and seeing this:

Really kills the mood when you're putting out a jack-o-lantern and it looks like freaking Christmas.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #661 on: October 31, 2010, 11:05:58 AM »

lol Andy, that blows man about the snow.

Yeah you know, people go way to far in testing produce.  A subtle pinch into a tomato can tell you if it is to your liking.  In our grower's market for charity we had people testing every damn tomato like we were professional farmers. 

Kind of an offshoot of "trying before you buy", what is it with women taking in a pile of crap into a dressing room and leaving a store without buying anything?  My wife does this sh!t all the friggin' time and I could scream.  I guess it keeps someone in a low paying more than irritable job though.   Lookingup

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #662 on: October 31, 2010, 11:40:19 AM »

I suppose the fit of women's clothing is not as simple to assess as men's, but yeah, shopping for clothes with my wife is frustrating enough that I will go and look at something else and meet up when she's done.

Except for buying a suit, I can't say I've used a fitting room since I was little. My mom made me try stuff on, which was doubly annoying because she never bought me anything that fit anyway. It was always "You'll grow into it."

When my wife shops for clothing, she browses the entire store, takes a whole bunch of stuff off the racks, tries it all on, and then maybe buys a couple of things. When I shop for clothes (usually only when most of what I have is wearing out), I grab an economy pack of white cotton socks, an economy pack of cotton briefs, a pack of t-shirts, a couple of pairs of jeans, based entirely on remembered waist and inseam measurements, then go looking for a cotton shirt I like, find my remembered size, and grab three or four in different colours (dark colours). Oh, and I find a reasonably-priced pair of white sneakers in Size 12. It all goes straight into the cart and voila - new wardrobe.

If I were a more organized person, I'd probably assemble seven identical outfits on hangers. One for each day of the week. If I ever get around to making myself up some work uniforms, I probably will. I can be happy as hell wearing an identical grey shirt and pants from Monday to Friday. Which is just as well, since my attempts at putting together more colourful outfits have usually looked pretty awful. Odd, when my job requires me to have a good sense of style and colour.

---------------------
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #663 on: October 31, 2010, 12:35:15 PM »

I suppose the fit of women's clothing is not as simple to assess as men's, but yeah, shopping for clothes with my wife is frustrating enough that I will go and look at something else and meet up when she's done.

Except for buying a suit, I can't say I've used a fitting room since I was little. My mom made me try stuff on, which was doubly annoying because she never bought me anything that fit anyway. It was always "You'll grow into it."

When my wife shops for clothing, she browses the entire store, takes a whole bunch of stuff off the racks, tries it all on, and then maybe buys a couple of things. When I shop for clothes (usually only when most of what I have is wearing out), I grab an economy pack of white cotton socks, an economy pack of cotton briefs, a pack of t-shirts, a couple of pairs of jeans, based entirely on remembered waist and inseam measurements, then go looking for a cotton shirt I like, find my remembered size, and grab three or four in different colours (dark colours). Oh, and I find a reasonably-priced pair of white sneakers in Size 12. It all goes straight into the cart and voila - new wardrobe.

If I were a more organized person, I'd probably assemble seven identical outfits on hangers. One for each day of the week. If I ever get around to making myself up some work uniforms, I probably will. I can be happy as hell wearing an identical grey shirt and pants from Monday to Friday. Which is just as well, since my attempts at putting together more colourful outfits have usually looked pretty awful. Odd, when my job requires me to have a good sense of style and colour.

Ah, to be a man shopping for clothes. Not having to try on so many things because every clothing manufacturer has a different idea of what a "normal" female body type is (although many of them seem to think that the average woman is about 5'-5'5" and weighs around 100-120 lbs without much in the way of hips or breasts).

Oh how I wish I could just throw on a shirt and not have the risk of it fitting nicely around the waist but seriously constricting my chest; how nice it would be indeed to just look at the waist size of a pair of pants and know if they fit, rather than having to find out if the manufacturer is going to punish me in some small way for having some noticeable muscle on my legs instead of the stick legs they so desire.

But alas...I have to shop around and try on many different items until I can find a particular style from whatever company that I know will fit me just right the next time I need new clothes.
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #664 on: October 31, 2010, 12:54:52 PM »

Used to grind my gears, but now I mostly just find them funny and occasionally annoying if they go on too long..   Threats on the internet.  I mean, really?  Has anything ever come out of that?  I was reminded of this when looking through a certain thread on the forums here.  Anyone who engages in this behavior comes across as childish and silly.  Which makes the idea of the threat itself inherently funny. 

Since it's funny, maybe I should actually LIKE IT when people do this...  Hmm...
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #665 on: October 31, 2010, 01:41:30 PM »

Used to grind my gears, but now I mostly just find them funny and occasionally annoying if they go on too long..   Threats on the internet.  I mean, really?  Has anything ever come out of that?  I was reminded of this when looking through a certain thread on the forums here.  Anyone who engages in this behavior comes across as childish and silly.  Which makes the idea of the threat itself inherently funny. 

Since it's funny, maybe I should actually LIKE IT when people do this...  Hmm...

There have been rare occasions where arguments and threats on the web have spilled over to real life, but yeah, for the most part:

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #666 on: November 01, 2010, 01:43:11 PM »

People who don't flush the toilet. Every once in a while you run into it. Some jackass didn't flush the toilet and I get to see their refuse. Just what I wanted.

I'm not talking about if the facilities aren't working properly. That's excused.

Is there, aside from the above, ANY valid reason for not flushing? What gives? Are you marking your territory? Do you feel you need to share your refuse with the rest of the world? Did you forget? Seriously. WTF!!!

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #667 on: November 01, 2010, 02:32:57 PM »

People who don't flush the toilet. Every once in a while you run into it. Some jackass didn't flush the toilet and I get to see their refuse. Just what I wanted.

I'm not talking about if the facilities aren't working properly. That's excused.

Is there, aside from the above, ANY valid reason for not flushing? What gives? Are you marking your territory? Do you feel you need to share your refuse with the rest of the world? Did you forget? Seriously. WTF!!!
I really think people are so proud of their creation they want to share it with the world.  Either way, they're either screwed in the head or just plain lazy or both. 

Another few for me, I hate when people put no effort into a Halloween costume.  Especially when they are going to a costume party.  I can recall people who show up in street clothes and a stupid wig.  If I were throwing a party I'd probably have to hire a door guy to kick out these lazy pricks.

Secondly, I must ask again why why why why why is it necessary to throw Xmas in our face the MINUTE Halloween is over.  I went to several stores today to see if they had Halloween stuff on sale and it was already packed up in lieu of the Xmas bullsh*tt!!!  Every year I hate Xmas more and these stores aren't helping it. 

DarkSider's Realm

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #668 on: November 01, 2010, 03:11:21 PM »

I once went back to a store on the morning of Oct. 31, looking for a few additional bits of decoration, and the Christmas stuff was out. I mean, come on. At least leave it until Halloween is past.

Christmas stuff, on the other hand, is in the stores in October, then just gets marked down after Christmas and left there for a while, until it's thoroughly picked over by bargain hunters. Christmas has the advantage of being the last real holiday for about three and a half months, while Halloween has the disadvantage of being right before the Christmas shopping begins.

What really bothers me is that we get bombarded with Christmas from Nov. 1 to Dec. 25, and then it's over. Once the presents are open and the turkey's eaten, nobody gives a crap. After Boxing Day, nobody wants to think about Christmas. Of course, with all of the stress and work and expense and obligations Christmas has come to represent for most of us, that's understandable, but it's totally ass-backward. The Christmas season is after Christmas Day. It's supposed to start on Dec. 25, and run for 12 days - hence the song. The lead up to Christmas is Advent, which is four weeks, not six, seven or eight. I once wrote a Christmas humour column on how the retail sector has issued a revised liturgical calendar to the Christian religions, to better fit with their requirements for the holidays.

I think I'd rather have a four-week preparation for a 12-day celebration than two months building up to one day, followed by the rest of winter.

---------------------
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #669 on: November 01, 2010, 04:15:06 PM »

Our local Lowe's has had Christmas stuff up for about a week...a good five days BEFORE Halloween.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #670 on: November 01, 2010, 04:56:06 PM »

I once went back to a store on the morning of Oct. 31, looking for a few additional bits of decoration, and the Christmas stuff was out. I mean, come on. At least leave it until Halloween is past.

Christmas stuff, on the other hand, is in the stores in October, then just gets marked down after Christmas and left there for a while, until it's thoroughly picked over by bargain hunters. Christmas has the advantage of being the last real holiday for about three and a half months, while Halloween has the disadvantage of being right before the Christmas shopping begins.

What really bothers me is that we get bombarded with Christmas from Nov. 1 to Dec. 25, and then it's over. Once the presents are open and the turkey's eaten, nobody gives a crap. After Boxing Day, nobody wants to think about Christmas. Of course, with all of the stress and work and expense and obligations Christmas has come to represent for most of us, that's understandable, but it's totally ass-backward. The Christmas season is after Christmas Day. It's supposed to start on Dec. 25, and run for 12 days - hence the song. The lead up to Christmas is Advent, which is four weeks, not six, seven or eight. I once wrote a Christmas humour column on how the retail sector has issued a revised liturgical calendar to the Christian religions, to better fit with their requirements for the holidays.

I think I'd rather have a four-week preparation for a 12-day celebration than two months building up to one day, followed by the rest of winter.

I agree; all that stress for a single day really isn't worth it. That much stress can make it impossible to enjoy what, for many people, is the only significant holiday of the year. All that pressure to try to buy people's love for two months...it's too much. Let me tell ya, it was a HUGE relief when I decided to make presents and do favors for my loved ones last year. No running around trying to find "this year's hot item (that will probably either be thrown away, forgotten, or obsolete this time next year)," much less stressing about what I'm going to buy someone, no financial worries...it was really nice. I'd recommend it to everyone.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #671 on: November 01, 2010, 05:20:30 PM »

I must ask again why why why why why is it necessary to throw Xmas in our face the MINUTE Halloween is over.  I went to several stores today to see if they had Halloween stuff on sale and it was already packed up in lieu of the Xmas bullsh*tt!!!  Every year I hate Xmas more and these stores aren't helping it. 

Ha!

You should live in the UK.
We get Christmas decorations, adverts, ever occasionally Christmas songs at the start of October, at least you get it and the end of October !!!!

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #672 on: November 01, 2010, 05:32:22 PM »

I'm going sound like a broken record player for many older members reading this but I really don't like Xmas.  It bothers me that people act in complete shock when I say that I don't like it.  I really think there is this lunacy in society about HAVING to like it.  I don't see the point.  If someone says to me "I dislike Halloween" I personally don't care.  Its their thing and I respect it but I'll be damned if I HAVE to like Xmas. 

The decorations, the shopping, the music, etc it is all annoying to me.  Well save a few movies/cartoons.  Then you get the group that says, "well its not about that, its about religion and giving..."
1.) I am not religious 
2.) I am not a follower of the idea that I HAVE to give anything to someone just because its "that special day".   

Every year Xmas dropkicked in your face more and shoved down your throat until you are sh!tting patridges in pear trees.  I'm just sick of it.  If it means something to someone then by all means celebrate it.  If it means nothing to someone else, I don't see the point of wondering why.

DarkSider's Realm

Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #673 on: November 01, 2010, 06:03:34 PM »

I'm going sound like a broken record player for many older members reading this but I really don't like Xmas.  It bothers me that people act in complete shock when I say that I don't like it.  I really think there is this lunacy in society about HAVING to like it.  I don't see the point.  If someone says to me "I dislike Halloween" I personally don't care.  Its their thing and I respect it but I'll be damned if I HAVE to like Xmas. 

Every year Xmas dropkicked in your face more and shoved down your throat until you are sh!tting patridges in pear trees.  I'm just sick of it.  If it means something to someone then by all means celebrate it.  If it means nothing to someone else, I don't see the point of wondering why.

I wish more people felt like that...  Thumbup for being a voice of sanity!

As for me I'm not religious and neither is my immediate family, but we use Christmas as an excuse to give and receive presents. For me and them it's more of a fun tradition than anything else. However, I do think there is too much unnecessary stress that comes with the Christmas time of year.  I also loathe the way Christmas is shoved down our throats. I like some Christmas songs, holiday TV specials, and so on, but it's really too much.

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
Paquita

« Reply #674 on: November 01, 2010, 06:32:42 PM »

Kind of an offshoot of "trying before you buy", what is it with women taking in a pile of crap into a dressing room and leaving a store without buying anything?  My wife does this sh!t all the friggin' time and I could scream.  I guess it keeps someone in a low paying more than irritable job though.   Lookingup

I think what I do is worse - I hate clothes shopping and I hate fitting rooms even more, so I buy a bunch of clothes and then try them on at home and take back what I don't like.  I'm in and out of the store in about 20 minutes!.. but sometimes I don't get around to taking them back..  and then the local thrift store gets a bunch of brand new clothes!
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 162
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.