Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:02:28 AM
713404 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 162
Author Topic: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?  (Read 624739 times)
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #675 on: November 01, 2010, 06:34:04 PM »

Secondly, I must ask again why why why why why is it necessary to throw Xmas in our face the MINUTE Halloween is over.  I went to several stores today to see if they had Halloween stuff on sale and it was already packed up in lieu of the Xmas bullsh*tt!!!  Every year I hate Xmas more and these stores aren't helping it.  
It's even worse down here, Christmas Decorations are up in SEPTEMBER, hell, maybe even in AUGUST!
DOESN'T Thanksgiving ever gets noticed BEFORE Christmas? Bluesad

yeah no.
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #676 on: November 01, 2010, 08:49:31 PM »

how nice it would be indeed to just look at the waist size of a pair of pants and know if they fit, rather than having to find out if the manufacturer is going to punish me in some small way for having some noticeable muscle on my legs instead of the stick legs they so desire.

Well, the male system works very well for men who are of fairly average proportions.  If you're like me and have a longer torso than normal and short squaty legs, and a relatively thin waist compared to your legs, it's pretty annoying.  It basically means I have no pants that fit me completely correctly.  Oh well.  Certainly worse for women.

On another holiday note, trunk R treating and parents who go door to door with their kids trick or treating bug the hell out of me.  I remember when my parents went with me to trick 'r treat - when I was like 3 or 4 and could barely cross the street unsupervised.  They may have gone with me til I was 5.  But by the time I was 4 or 5, I had to go to the door by myself.  It would have bugged the hell out of me to have them hovering over me the whole time - that was one of the great things about it.  You get to run around in costumes getting gobs of candy unsupervised AT NIGHT.  It was awesome.  And you know what?  So many kids in large groups on a night everyone knows about = high degree of safety.  I really don't understand it.  I gather from the other posts on here - nobody else does either.   Hatred
Jim H

« Reply #677 on: November 02, 2010, 08:06:50 PM »

The term grok, or more specifically the way people use it.  It's a term Robert Heinlein made up, basically meaning "to internalize in such a way as to understand empathetically".  But most people online who use it, just uses it as an annoying and pretentious form of "get" or "understand".  Pointless and annoying.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #678 on: November 02, 2010, 10:14:44 PM »

The term grok, or more specifically the way people use it.  It's a term Robert Heinlein made up, basically meaning "to internalize in such a way as to understand empathetically".  But most people online who use it, just uses it as an annoying and pretentious form of "get" or "understand".  Pointless and annoying.

I'd like to extend this GMG to include ANY use of an esoteric principle by those that don't really understand it, but use it because they heard/read it somewhere.  Grok is a good example, but many others exist.

On one forum I read, one lady, who really does not "grok" (sorry Jim) science at all, tends to challenge everything anybody says that she does not agree with (say, for example, on environmental issues) with a "research??, citations ???" kind of response.  She demonstrates no proficiency to actually MAKE an argument, just to challenge with responses she's read online that seem to have worked for others in the past.

Another thing she does, perhaps related, is to refer to herself as an authority.  One guy gets challenged, and she says "oh, I can attest to his ability in field x" when she has demonstrated neither proficiency in field x, nor the ability to assess ability in field x.  Yet so many on that forum seem to accept her word...

I find myself tempted to ask her, "why should I take YOUR word for the fact that Dude is good at what he does?"  She's a sweet lady...no doubt about that...so that seems to be the basis of ALL her assertions...no one will challenge her "authority" on the basis that she is a nice person.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #679 on: November 02, 2010, 10:34:46 PM »

It's even worse down here, Christmas Decorations are up in SEPTEMBER, hell, maybe even in AUGUST!

That's a good point. At least in Canada we get Thanksgiving before Halloween. In the states, it just seems to get caught in the pre-Christmas buildup. I like Thanksgiving. A big meal and some reflection on what you're thankful for. One of the least complicated holidays I know.

I like Christmas, but there are so many obligations and expectations, it starts to feel like work. Come to think of it, there's also a lot of actual work. And the fact that shopping malls will be a chaotic nightmare for weeks, whether you're Christmas shopping or just trying to make some routine purchases.

Incidentally, my wife went into the city to do some shopping today. She told me it was as if Halloween never happened. Not so much as a bag of marked-down candy. I find that strangely sickening.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #680 on: November 02, 2010, 11:13:24 PM »

"Christmas Decorations In November", a song on The Punters Christmas themed album "Beautiful Star" --these are the lyrics (love this short little tune)

I Hate Christmas decorations in November
And Santas that talk to you on Remembrance Day
Why can’t people be more patient about Christmas
And wait to celebrate on Christmas Day?

When Autumn leaves are blowing in the breezes
And frosty nights leave mornings coloured silver grey
Already people’s thoughts have turned to Christmas
Commercial minds are showing their displays

Now Halloween it seems is barely over
When decorated trees flashing lights appear
All the stores are really busy now with shoppers everywhere
Reminders of the season fill the air

Why can’t people be more patient about Christmas
And wait to celebrate on Christmas Day

The children will be tired from all the waiting
Saying “Mommy can you tell  us will Santa come today?”
Maybe now’s the time for telling them what Christmas is about
And why we celebrate on Christmas day

Cause Christmas is a time for love and giving
And Peace on Earth is surely what it’s all about
It’s so good to have your family all around you
The fuss and glitter we can do without

Why can’t people be more patient about Christmas and wait to celebrate on Christmas day
Wait to celebrate on Christmas day

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #681 on: November 03, 2010, 09:44:18 AM »

I'd like to extend this GMG to include ANY use of an esoteric principle by those that don't really understand it, but use it because they heard/read it somewhere.  Grok is a good example, but many others exist.

On one forum I read, one lady, who really does not "grok" (sorry Jim) science at all, tends to challenge everything anybody says that she does not agree with (say, for example, on environmental issues) with a "research??, citations ???" kind of response.  She demonstrates no proficiency to actually MAKE an argument, just to challenge with responses she's read online that seem to have worked for others in the past.

Another thing she does, perhaps related, is to refer to herself as an authority.  One guy gets challenged, and she says "oh, I can attest to his ability in field x" when she has demonstrated neither proficiency in field x, nor the ability to assess ability in field x.  Yet so many on that forum seem to accept her word...

I find myself tempted to ask her, "why should I take YOUR word for the fact that Dude is good at what he does?"  She's a sweet lady...no doubt about that...so that seems to be the basis of ALL her assertions...no one will challenge her "authority" on the basis that she is a nice person.

The one that gets me is people's use of "meme."  The term was originally coined as a revealing metaphor: that ideas evolved in a way that was analogous to the "gene" in evolution.  Nowadays people use the word as a synonym for "catchphrase" or "fad," and I doubt they know about the original idea.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #682 on: November 03, 2010, 10:18:00 AM »

"research??, citations ???"

Can't blame her for that one, since it's routinely abused on Wikipedia as an underhanded means of arguing without providing arguments. Most annoying thing about Wikipedia for me. I can tell when somebody's just stuck it there to cast doubt on something they personally don't like, but could never get away with challenging directly.

This is what passes for debate these days. I thought it was bad when people seemed to think you could win an argument by trapping your opponent in apparent condradictions (If that's true, then how come...), or arguing with their choice of words instead of what they actually mean. Now, we've gotten so lazy, we don't have to make any effort or take any responsibility, or even know a damned thing. Just ask the other guy for a bibliography. But that's what comes of seeing debate as a contest to be won, rather than a process by which people reach an understanding.

---------------------
Skull
« Reply #683 on: November 03, 2010, 03:45:53 PM »

That's a good point. At least in Canada we get Thanksgiving before Halloween.

wow this explains why canadians are so angry... you got nothing to do for the next 2 months... And then looks forward for Hockey Season.. lol
Trekkie313
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #684 on: November 03, 2010, 06:20:28 PM »

Politics have had me depressed today.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #685 on: November 03, 2010, 06:29:43 PM »

wow this explains why canadians are so angry... you got nothing to do for the next 2 months... And then looks forward for Hockey Season.. lol

Umm...Skull?  Hockey season started Thanksgiving weekend (October 7) this year.  It runs until June.  TeddyR  

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #686 on: November 03, 2010, 06:44:14 PM »

Umm...Skull?  Hockey season started Thanksgiving weekend (October 7) this year.  It runs until June.  TeddyR  

And can quickly become annoying if you make plans with someone, then they blow you off with little to no warning because they find out later that there's a hockey game that night. Well, annoying if you don't really follow hockey beyond knowing a couple of player names, team names, and who's playing for the Stanley Cup that year.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #687 on: November 03, 2010, 07:01:51 PM »

Not being a fan myself, I just shake my head at people who can get up from their chair out on the deck, where they were drinking a beer in shorts and a tshirt, abandoning a beautiful warm evening to go inside and watch hockey. It's just wrong. The season itself is not so bad, ending in the middle of April. It's the two months of playoffs that get excessive, and that's when people get most obsessed with hockey. When it's almost summer.

---------------------
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #688 on: November 03, 2010, 07:32:54 PM »

Not being a fan myself, I just shake my head at people who can get up from their chair out on the deck, where they were drinking a beer in shorts and a tshirt, abandoning a beautiful warm evening to go inside and watch hockey. It's just wrong. The season itself is not so bad, ending in the middle of April. It's the two months of playoffs that get excessive, and that's when people get most obsessed with hockey. When it's almost summer.
I feel the same about baseball.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #689 on: November 03, 2010, 07:37:14 PM »

That's when investing in a radio is a good idea. Sure, you can't see the action, but you can easily take it outside and enjoy both the game and the nice weather. The weather's not going to be nice for much longer, after all.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 162
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.