Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:16:14 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 162
Author Topic: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?  (Read 620002 times)
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1920 on: August 04, 2012, 02:43:31 AM »

Now, getting rid of a movie because it isn't rented all the time is about as logical as never keeping any food in your house that you don't feel like eating every day.

It's actually worse on Net Flix than with physical rental places - it's a one time cost for the DVD purchase, whereas licenses are a constant ongoing cost in many cases.  If a film is not very popular at Ye Olde Rental Shoppe - that might be fine, because it will also get less physical wear and tear (meaning they just hold on to it until it wears out) and all it has to do is sit there.  An unpopular film on Net Flix has the ongoing cost of the license, the storage space it takes up on Net Flix's hard drives, the cost to their bandwith when it comes up in searches, and the cost to keep it accessible on their database (it's not a huge cost per title, but it does exist).
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1921 on: August 04, 2012, 06:01:09 AM »

It's actually worse on Net Flix than with physical rental places - it's a one time cost for the DVD purchase, whereas licenses are a constant ongoing cost

Exactly the point. There is an ongoing cost for the licence. They have to keep paying just to make the movie available, even if nobody watches it. The result is that the movie gets pulled, nobody gets the chance to watch it, and it makes no money for anybody.

If a film is not very popular at Ye Olde Rental Shoppe - that might be fine, because it will also get less physical wear and tear (meaning they just hold on to it until it wears out) and all it has to do is sit there.  An unpopular film on Net Flix has the ongoing cost of the license, the storage space it takes up on Net Flix's hard drives, the cost to their bandwith when it comes up in searches, and the cost to keep it accessible on their database (it's not a huge cost per title, but it does exist).

Physical video stores never had the luxury of just holding onto unpopular movies. It might have been a one-time cost for the tape, but renting the store was a huge ongoing cost. Physical display space is expensive. There is also a hard limit on it. If your store is 500 square feet, that's what you have to work with. And if you want to showcase your popular titles and make things easy to find, you can't just pack it full. As new titles come in, choices have to be made and other titles weeded out. Server space, by comparison, can be packed full, is always expandable and it's dirt-cheap compared to renting retail space.

Search bandwidth for one title is negligible, and the way Netflix is set up, you're not going to have it showing up all the time anyway. If it's not popular, it's only going to appear if somebody chooses to browse everything or a whole genre, searches for that movie or something similar, or it gets recommended because it fits a particular user's taste in movies. And cosidering the bandwidth they'll use when they finally choose a movie, customers browsing through extra titles is probably the most profitable time they could spend on the site.

What it comes down to is an inflexible approach to licencing that only makes sense if movies are watched all the time. That's it. There is no real, practical reason for constantly weeding out the less-popular titles to the degree they're doing it.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1922 on: August 04, 2012, 06:25:09 AM »

We were about halfway through watching the Stargate Atlantis TV series on Netflix - then one day it disappeared   Hatred

I can understand why they rotate their selection, but jeez...they charge as much for streaming now as they used to for streaming plus one-DVD-out-at-a-time, and I haven't noticed any improvements in their service or selection since the price increase.

Doesn't really grind my gears because it's still a great deal in my opinion - we use it to watch a TV show during dinner, and my wife and kids use it so much in the evening that I have to squeeze in a movie for myself maybe once or twice a month   Smile

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #1923 on: August 04, 2012, 12:25:05 PM »

Are you applying them to Tracy or to the people she was talking about?

You have to admit, when you take that sentence on it's own, it does sound ironically like the mantra of the judgmental holier-than-thou types she was talking about.

Myself, being pretty moderate in matters of religion, I get frustrated by both the smug, superior bible-thumping types and snide, bitter and equally smug atheist types, because I think both sides are wrong, both are too pushy with what they believe, both can be thoughtlessly cruel in what they say, and both do a lot of damage to institutions I care about. Really, aside from whether they believe in God, I can't see much difference between them at all.

I'm sure not trying to be pushy or declare hatred for anyone. My ex was a serious agnostic who was convinced that being a Christian made you weak and stupid. I loved him anyway,for several years,until he kicked me and our 1 1/2 year old daughter out on the street. Now I can honestly say that I do not love him but not because of his beliefs....because he was a total jerk. I don't wish him ill.....just a life away from us both.

Being a Christian makes me happy and satisfied and I guess I want that for everyone.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #1924 on: August 04, 2012, 12:32:56 PM »

Media distorting news items, from the national down to the local level.

4-X: a friend of mine got into a dispute with his mother-in-law at her house. She called the police, and he waited for them to arrive, and went with them voluntarily, as he wanted to give his side of the story.  One patrol car showed up, two officers. My friend was carrying a pocket knife, which he gave to the officers.

According to the newspaper and a local radio station,  the woman called 911, in fear of her life, three cruisers were dispatched to the scene, the six officers had to wrestle my friend into the unit, where they relieved him of a deadly weapon.

This was my hometown, and I was familiar with the police there. Had my friend made them work that hard to bust him, his first stop would've been the hospital.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
66Crush
« Reply #1925 on: August 06, 2012, 02:27:23 AM »

Recently I have been suffering from lower back pain and I went to my family doctor. He keeps finding blood in my urine, so he sends me to a urologist. The experience was painful and humiliating. The doctor put a tiny camera through my urethra, and even though I had been numbed it was still extremely painful! He showed me my x-rays and said everything looked fine and that some people have blood for no reason. So then I ask "what do you think is causing my back pain?" He says "I don't know, try stretching." I then get a bill that's over $400 and my urethra still stings a bit. I want to strangle this doctor! I left worse off then when I came in. It seems like I went through all this B.S. for nothing. My back has been hurting for a month now and because of this painful procedure, I have no money to get my back looked at. I just feel violated! My friend has been suffering from RA and the medical community and insurance companies have f'd him over time and time again. He just keeps getting worse with no help. I think there is a big conspiracy between the government, the pharmaceutical companies, the doctors and the insurance companies! I think all parties involved need to be lined up and shot! Hatred
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1926 on: August 06, 2012, 06:18:18 PM »

Got a warning at work tonight because I was off ill yesterday, my second sick day this year. It really annoys me that if I happed to be ill for 2 days or more within the next 6 months I will be sacked! What the hell happened to the first seven days of an illness being self-certified?? I was genuinely ill, but it's like they want some in-human master race of workers.

What makes all this worse, is that we have girls ringing in sick and going home early because they turn up for work drunk or hungover day after day, yet they have had no disciplinary action taken against them!

Hatred

Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1927 on: August 06, 2012, 09:11:55 PM »

I hate it when I go to Youtube to watch a trailer for an upcoming movie and they're all parodies!  (fan-made trailers)
I want to see the real thing dammit! 
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1928 on: August 07, 2012, 11:15:38 AM »

I was using Opera for my browser for several years, but now they came out with a new version of it, so it crashes every ten minutes.  I was using Chrome for a while, I don't even know what the hell happened with that thing.  It had some "exception error" and I ended up having to unplug the computer to get it rebooted.

Sigh...guess I'll try Firefox now.   Lookingup

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1929 on: August 10, 2012, 05:58:59 AM »

I don't usually post on this thread because-well-life is full of s**t and so am I-but something happened last night to really p**s me off.
Me and Tina-about 10:30 last night-were sitting at the kitchen table-she gets out of work at 10:00-so I make sure I have a nice dinner for her when she gets home-and an old neighbor of ours knocks on the door-asks us over to his apartment-so we say-"wtf-lets go".
He was real drunk-I know that feeling.
But a while later-he asks to talk to me in another room-private like. Ok.
He dont know she's my girlfreind-thinks we just hang out.
He says-"I like Tina-I only got one problem"
"Whats that?" I say.
"She's a-ya know-...."
"No-I dont know-spit it out,man"
"Shes a n****r".

I wanted to punch him right in the face.

""No-she's not-she's my girlfreind".
"OH-I'm so sorry! I was born in Kentucky-I didnt know...!"

And before that he was asking her for a kiss-

2 faced racist redneck a***ole. I wanted to kill him.

"Don't tell her I said that." he says.
I says to Tina-"We need to go before I get arrested for f**king this f**ker up."
Dam right I told her. I love her-I will NEVER decieve or NOT tell her ANYTHING.
This is 2012-why do dickheads insist on thinking like weird cavemen?

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1930 on: August 10, 2012, 06:17:19 AM »

I don't usually post on this thread because-well-life is full of s**t and so am I-but something happened last night to really p**s me off.
Me and Tina-about 10:30 last night-were sitting at the kitchen table-she gets out of work at 10:00-so I make sure I have a nice dinner for her when she gets home-and an old neighbor of ours knocks on the door-asks us over to his apartment-so we say-"wtf-lets go".
He was real drunk-I know that feeling.
"Whats that?" I say.
"She's a-ya know-...."
"Shes a n****r".

I wanted to punch him right in the face.

""No-she's not-she's my girlfreind".
"OH-I'm so sorry! I was born in Kentucky-I didnt know...!"

And before that he was asking her for a kiss-

2 faced racist redneck a***ole. I wanted to kill him.

"Don't tell her I said that." he says.
I says to Tina-"We need to go before I get arrested for f**king this f**ker up."
Dam right I told her. I love her-I will NEVER decieve or NOT tell her ANYTHING.
This is 2012-why do dickheads insist on thinking like weird cavemen?

I can't believe there are still people that think this way, Ronny: it just makes me go all  Hatred

Tina is a lovely lady (I saw her pic you posted) and you are very lucky to have her: she's also lucky to have you in her life.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1931 on: August 10, 2012, 06:27:44 AM »

Thank you,buddy.
Racism-homophobia-intolerence of ANY kind-its just WRONG.
People are people-
I always sid I'm not a hippy-and I'm NOT.
But the hippies got one thing right.
You should love each other.

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1932 on: August 10, 2012, 08:07:26 AM »

"Whats that?" I say.
"She's a-ya know-...."
"Shes a n****r".

Drunk or not, bigot or not, I can't imagine what kind of mental defect would make someone think that needed saying. It's bad enough people think a lot of idiotic things, but why do they always feel the need to spit them out at everyone?

---------------------
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #1933 on: August 10, 2012, 08:16:35 AM »

Drunk or not, bigot or not, I can't imagine what kind of mental defect would make someone think that needed saying. It's bad enough people think a lot of idiotic things, but why do they always feel the need to spit them out at everyone?

Don't know about this guy, but in general, the current "younger generation" has been/is being programmed to vocalize every thought.  TALK TALK TALK.

Talking is a past time these days.  It's almost a sport.

Compound that with the popular notion that every opinion matters, and well, we do reap what we sew.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1934 on: August 10, 2012, 09:01:56 AM »

Don't know about this guy, but in general, the current "younger generation" has been/is being programmed to vocalize every thought.  TALK TALK TALK.

Talking is a past time these days.  It's almost a sport.

Compound that with the popular notion that every opinion matters, and well, we do reap what we sew.

Brings this quote to mind:

---------------------
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 162
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.