Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:16:12 AM
714230 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Fist fights on the set « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fist fights on the set  (Read 11903 times)
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 11, 2010, 10:10:38 PM »

Some of my favorites film stories are about the physical altercations on movie sets.  Best ones are violent confrontations between directors and actors.

A few examples:

As quotes on the imdb - "While making The Barbarian and the Geisha (1958), John Wayne apparently became so enraged with director John Huston (who was something of a tough guy himself and was nearly as tall as Wayne, but not as massive) that he throttled and punched him out. It is unknown what Huston did to earn the beating, but the director was known to have a mean streak."

"Kris Kristofferson and Sam Peckinpah had several heated arguments during the making of the film, and others on the set often thought it would end up in a fight. Peckinpah, always very confrontational, wanted to fight Kristofferson but said that he feared Kristofferson, a former Army Airborne Ranger, would "kill him". Kristofferson answered, "Yeah, Sam, I think you're right". In spite of this, Peckinpah referred to Kristofferson as a "f**king great guy" and said that working with him was "one of the greatest experiences of my life"."

Above is from Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, not Convoy.

More Peckinpah - "During the filming of this movie, Sam Peckinpah was so obnoxious and abusive towards his actors that Charlton Heston physically threatened the director with a sabre. Heston later remarked that this was the only time he had ever threatened anybody on a movie set."

Apparently, Bruce Lee was regularly challenged to fights by up and coming fighters looking to make a name for themselves.  Reportedly, he always won, but the fights become so common he started refusing them.

Tupac Shakur was going to be in Menace II Society, but punched the director in the face on the set and ended up going to jail instead.

Anyone know more?  The ones from the Golden Age are the best, because they usually just kept working and even maintained civility after a fist fight.  Today lawyers, legalities, and other mumbo jumbo always get involved.  

Lame.  

TeddyR
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 11:47:26 PM »

Werner Herzog and Klaus Kinski often got into it.. Kinski was one screwed up guy.  Check out the film MY BEST FIEND for more info.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 12:43:29 PM »

What Ever Happened To Baby Jane...from IMDB...
During the kicking scene, Bette Davis kicked Joan Crawford in the head, and the resulting wound required stitches. In retaliation, Crawford put weights in her pockets so that when Davis had to drag Crawford's near-lifeless body, she strained her back.

Those two hated each other apparently.

I had heard there was major tention between Snipes and Goyer on the set of Blade Trinity. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Raffine

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 02:17:48 PM »

What Ever Happened To Baby Jane...from IMDB...
During the kicking scene, Bette Davis kicked Joan Crawford in the head, and the resulting wound required stitches. In retaliation, Crawford put weights in her pockets so that when Davis had to drag Crawford's near-lifeless body, she strained her back.

Those two hated each other apparently.

One of my favorite stories about their on-set battling was Davis having Coca Cola machines installed on the set to irritate the Pepsi Cola board member Crawford.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 12:15:01 PM »

I've read that there was a near fist fight on the set of "The Man WHo SHot Liberty Valence" between John Wayne and Woody Strode. I guess John Ford would tease Wayne about how he was sidelined from playing football at USC by an injury while Woody Strode who played pro ball for the Rams, was referred to by Ford as a "real" ball player.

According to Wikipedia:"Ford's behaviour caused Wayne to take his frustrations out on Strode, who believed that they could otherwise have been friends. While filming an exterior shot on a horse-drawn cart, Wayne almost lost control of the horses and knocked Strode away when he tried to help. When the horses did stop, Wayne almost started a fight with Strode, who was much fitter. Ford gave them time to calm down, and Wayne later told Strode that they had to "work together. We both gotta be professionals." Strode blamed Ford's treatment of Wayne for the trouble, adding "What a miserable film to make".

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 12:47:40 PM by Hammock Rider » Logged

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Moreau
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 12:55:31 PM »

IMDB trivia entry for 'dazed and confused':

"Shawn Andrews and Jason London did not get along during the shoot, and Richard Linklater eventually had to break them up from fighting at one point."

love that film.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 01:46:17 PM »

I know it's not a physical fight, but I thought Christian Bale's verbal assault of the DP on the set of Terminator Salvation was hilarious. If you never heard the audio, just search it online and you'll have no problem locating it.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Fist fights on the set « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.