Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:17:24 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Internet forum do's and don'ts « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Internet forum do's and don'ts  (Read 8628 times)
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« on: June 12, 2010, 07:36:06 PM »

I've often given my two cents around the internet and have found that there seems to be un-written rules on how you should write your posts. The one I get yelled at for the most is double spacing paragraphs and sentences. People say this makes posts easier to read, personally I don't see it. The way I look at it is books and most printed material with the exception of children's books keep their paragraphs single spaced and I have no problem reading those, as I have no problem reading anything single spaced on the internet.
I know its easy to hit the return button twice and make everyone happy, but I find it pointless to do so and in really long posts just makes them overly huge.And I find that double spacing a paragraph does not make a post any easier to read, because there are many people who can't make a paragraph in the first place, so you end up with two or more paragraphs that should be together, but have been separated making what ever they are talking about disjointed, kind of like a fragmented sentence.
I think the reason people have such a hard time reading on the internet is because they often skim through articles with out really reading them and double spacing does make that easier. Two, their type font is too small and they sit far away from the screen and three, they don't read anything actually printed anymore. Im convinced that reading a printed document is easier and helps you retain information better than reading off a computer screen.
So I would like to know am I wrong for thinking this and is there any other do's and don't of internet posting that you think are stupid or that everyone should adhere to.

Smells like popcorn and shame
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 07:48:21 PM »

In writing in general, it has always been my understanding that separate paragraphs are separate thoughts or points.  One paragraph can follow from another, but there is a break between them.

It has been my observation that when I am posting lengthy explanations or discussions, if I break between paragraphs with an extra space I have a much higher incidence of readers actually getting all my points and with what appears to be greater comprehension.

So I would have to say that my own experience has given me the habit of adding in that 'extra' line space between paragraphs.  It reads better and heads off a good bit of frustration: I don't end up having to repeat myself as much!

Besides, I never was one to economise on keystrokes.    Wink

Edited for spelling
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 08:38:21 AM by Newt » Logged

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 09:49:14 PM »

Newt's response was easier to read and easier on the eyes then the original post.  It's not a huge deal but I do approve of the convention.

Books don't double space at paragraph breaks, but they do indent the beginning of the first sentence for clarity.   

The one that outrages others but doesn't really bother me is TYPING IN ALL CAPS.  I don't find it harder to read than normal writing.  I actually prefer it to people who don't capitalize at all (which I find really annoying).

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 07:33:32 AM »

I think a lot of people tend to sit back from their computer screen, so reading one huge block of text can be difficult.  A double space between paragraphs makes things easier for everyone.  With a book you can hold it at whatever distance is ideal, but sitting bent forward in front of a computer monitor for long periods of time isn't comfortable.  And if you increase the font size too much, you run into problems with page formatting.

My pet peeve is words that sound the same but are spelled differently, and have different meanings.  Like there, they're and their.  Or here and hear.  I mean, this is elementary school stuff, surely it can't be too taxing on a person's brain to do it correctly. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 10:08:42 AM »

On the forum, I like when folks put line spaces between paragraphs, makes it much easier to read because of what Jack said.  I do tend sit back away from the screen.

If everything is in one big block do text I tend to have to use the cursor to scan one line at a time.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Nukie 2

I did it all for the...

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 10:48:20 AM »

Also, never call someone names over the internet , nor make threats. If you're going to argue, do it logically.

Watch Nukie on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wab1Y713tN0
"Like" International Fans of the Movie Nukie and Sias Odendaal on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Fans-of-the-Movie-Nukie-and-Sias-Odendaal/135820159771783
Raffine

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 11:10:56 AM »

Be very cautious in the use of sarcasm.

It usually doesn't translate well to the written word. I've seen several temporary flare-ups here and on other sites over misunderstood sarcasm.

Or at least, utilize the " Lookingup".

This site has a nice spell check function. I use it all the time! I realize good spelling doesn't matter that much to some, but it sure can add weight to your point you're trying to make.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 11:30:06 AM »

People Who For Some Unknown Reason Capitalize The First Letter Of Every Word They Type In A Sentence.

Seen quite a few people do it (not here), including one guy who was a moderator of a forum. Where did this come from, Is it some kind of recognised system of writing?

Top spelling annoyances:

"loose" instead of lose. This just looks so dumb, no offence.

"then" instead of than. e.g. He was better then you.

Any variation of 'Definitely'...this word is so rarely spelled correctly, and a little bit of my soul is crushed whenever 'Definately' or 'Defanitely' decide to gatecrash the party.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Raffine

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 02:02:56 PM »

However, the misspelling of 'the' as 'teh' can be very effective, particularly when used as in caption of a photo of an adorable kitty.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 05:28:03 PM »

If you're going to argue, do it logically.

Oh how I wish people would do that on other forums.  I always keep running into people who just say something is bad or tell someone they are wrong without backing up their arguement.

One big thing I found that is a big don't is that you should never say your opinion is right and that everyone's else is wrong.  You will get so much flack for that.  I never said anything like that before, but I have seen a lot of people say it and get yelled at hard.  Most of the time they deserved it though.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 11:47:01 PM »

Don't confess to evil sh!t and then get cocky about it. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 04:19:06 AM »

I find all caps or no caps rather irritating, but not using periods after a sentence, abbreviating a lot of words, or just flat-out abominable misspelling, or a combination of all of the above, really should receive a mention from a moderator.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 04:31:33 AM »

I find all caps or no caps rather irritating, but not using periods after a sentence, abbreviating a lot of words, or just flat-out abominable misspelling, or a combination of all of the above, really should receive a mention from a moderator.

from TREVOR WHADDAYA meen yew dont laaik all CAPS or NO CAPS & abb. lotz of wudz. MI SCHPEEllings is KO and not related to the Abominable Snowman.  Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 06:36:28 AM »

I hate it when people quote an extremely long post just to add a one word agreement at the end  Lookingup

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
3mnkids

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 10:28:34 AM »

Don't be a troll. If your only contribution is negative, get off the computer and seek counseling. I hate people who only post to knock others. How sad their lives must be.

When someone cant debate an issue they immediately go into grammar Nazi mode.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Internet forum do's and don'ts « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.