Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:43:26 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Internet forum do's and don'ts « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Internet forum do's and don'ts  (Read 8634 times)
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 12:40:24 PM »

I find all caps or no caps rather irritating, but not using periods after a sentence, abbreviating a lot of words, or just flat-out abominable misspelling, or a combination of all of the above, really should receive a mention from a moderator.

from TREVOR WHADDAYA meen yew dont laaik all CAPS or NO CAPS & abb. lotz of wudz. MI SCHPEEllings is KO and not related to the Abominable Snowman.  Wink
BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

Hold onto your dreams ....
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 04:22:50 PM »

from TREVOR WHADDAYA meen yew dont laaik all CAPS or NO CAPS & abb. lotz of wudz. MI SCHPEEllings is KO and not related to the Abominable Snowman.  Wink

I love that Afrikaan language.  TeddyR

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 04:44:12 PM »

Thread hijacking is another big no-no, or should be.

On another forum I frequent, we have one dude who chronically hijacks threads.  Someone will post a message, ten people respond on-topic, and then this guy replies an unrelated question or comment that sidetracks the discussion from what the OP posted.

He's also notorious for posting "me too, me too" type comments, typing long wordy answers to questions that have already been answered in previous posts.

He also posts incorrect information - it sounds smart and it might actually be technically correct but completely WRONG for the context.  He's pretty good at using Google and Wikipedia, but not so good at actually evaluating the info he finds on the 'Net.

In summary, if a post does not really contribute to the discussion...don't make it.  No one gets points on the Intarweb for the most words typed in useless messages in a year.

(Note: the bad movies forum is for entertainment so is FAR more open and lenient in regard to this stuff...the other forum is an informational forum where incorrect info could potentially get someone killed).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 10:46:29 AM »

People Who For Some Unknown Reason Capitalize The First Letter Of Every Word They Type In A Sentence.

Seen quite a few people do it (not here), including one guy who was a moderator of a forum. Where did this come from, Is it some kind of recognised system of writing?

Top spelling annoyances:

"loose" instead of lose. This just looks so dumb, no offence.

"then" instead of than. e.g. He was better then you.

Any variation of 'Definitely'...this word is so rarely spelled correctly, and a little bit of my soul is crushed whenever 'Definately' or 'Defanitely' decide to gatecrash the party.

How Do You Know They Weren't Typing a Title? Wink

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 09:13:13 PM »

Top spelling annoyances:
My top spelling annoyance is "offence" instead of "offense".   Wink

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Nightowl
Bad Movie Lover

Local TV-Movie Nerd!

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2010, 02:02:31 PM »

Don't over abbreviate. What's the point of shorting your sentences down if nobody can understand them?

Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2010, 03:41:32 PM »

Top spelling annoyances:

I might be wrong, but I believe "offence" means the same thing as "offense", the only difference being "offence" is the British spelling.

I'm not trying to insult you AHD, I just thought it was worth mentioning.  Smile

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2010, 07:38:01 PM »

Top spelling annoyances:

I might be wrong, but I believe "offence" means the same thing as "offense", the only difference being "offence" is the British spelling.

I'm not trying to insult you AHD, I just thought it was worth mentioning.  Smile
You get an "A" as both are considered correct.   Wink  I was just trying to be funny.   Smile Bluesad

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Raffine

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2010, 07:49:46 PM »

I once mocked an album for having the word 'Marvellous' misspelled on the cover. I was mocked right back for not knowing that's the correct British spelling of 'Marvelous'.  TeddyR

Bah! Other than Billy Crystal's Fernado, who uses the word 'marvelous' anyhow?

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2010, 12:58:50 AM »

People making multiple threads about the exact same topic/question. It doesn't take long to just check to see if the topic came up in the past few weeks; just click back a couple of pages and see. If you have the luxury of free time to post on a forum, you've got time to see if your burning question was already answered a while back.

While I'm at it, it's just good internet etiquette to haunt a forum you'd like to join for a little while so you can figure out what that particular community is like, how to avoid seriously p**sing off members, and whether or not it's a forum you'd like to join. Some online communities are extremely intolerant of anyone breaking both official and unofficial rules even if that person is brand new, after all (thankfully we seem to be a pretty tolerant and laid-back bunch).
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2010, 06:59:31 AM »

Over on the video game review website, people are constantly posting "What game should I buy?"  Good grief, how in the world should I know what kind of games you like?  Don't some of them look more interesting to you than others?  Since it's a review website, and games cost $60, couldn't you at least type the names of various games into the search engine and see what kind of scores they got?  And if you're feeling really ambitious, maybe hit the "play" button on the video review?   Lookingup

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2010, 09:08:14 AM »

People making multiple threads about the exact same topic/question. It doesn't take long to just check to see if the topic came up in the past few weeks; just click back a couple of pages and see. If you have the luxury of free time to post on a forum, you've got time to see if your burning question was already answered a while back.

I agree, but...

I'm a mod on another forum, and we actually merge threads that are 'repeats.'  We have a small number of topics that come up repeatedly, and it seems like everyone and their brother wants to start a topic on one or the other.  We merge these into the existing threads so all the info is in one place (this is an informational forum, so we try to keep information easily searchable).

Well, we have lost members over this.  Folks get mad because they thought that we thought they were not "important" enough to have their own thread...even though the existing thread was 10 pages and the topic THOROUGHLY discussed from many angles.

This in turn led to a rather big behind-the-scenes debate by the mods about what to do and what is 'right.'  There's no easy answer.  Fragment the info, and no one can ever find all of what they need.  Merge threads and what seems like about 20% get angry because the thread is too long to read, etc.  We've batted around just about every conceivable solution to this and there is NO answer that satisfies everyone.

Ah, the sociology of Internet forums...

As for do's  and don'ts though, we do have a clearly stated rule to Search First, post in an existing thread if there is one, start a new thread only if it is really a new topic, so any action taken by the mods is justified withing the frame of that forum.  The issue, and what I find personally remarkable, is that so many people REALLY dislike this rule, and it's not always "they are too lazy to search."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2010, 04:04:30 PM »

This is an actual quote from a guy on another site:

tha would be awesum. if htey redesign wut do uthnk there actualy gona do with it

For chrissakes, if I lost both hands in an industrial accident I'd still be able to type better than that with my stumps!

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2010, 02:31:41 AM »

This is an actual quote from a guy on another site:

tha would be awesum. if htey redesign wut do uthnk there actualy gona do with it

For chrissakes, if I lost both hands in an industrial accident I'd still be able to type better than that with my stumps!

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle Thumbup

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Internet forum do's and don'ts « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.