Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:22:18 PM
713366 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan  (Read 4620 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: June 14, 2010, 12:34:29 AM »

U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan
The United States has discovered nearly $1 trillion in untapped mineral deposits in Afghanistan, far beyond any previously known reserves and enough to fundamentally alter the Afghan economy and perhaps the Afghan war itself, according to senior American government officials.

The previously unknown deposits — including huge veins of iron, copper, cobalt, gold and critical industrial metals like lithium — are so big and include so many minerals that are essential to modern industry that Afghanistan could eventually be transformed into one of the most important mining centers in the world, the United States officials believe.

An internal Pentagon memo, for example, states that Afghanistan could become the “Saudi Arabia of lithium,” a key raw material in the manufacture of batteries for laptops and BlackBerrys...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/14/world/asia/14minerals.html?no_interstitial

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 12:37:31 AM »

Maybe they can quit growing opium and finally make it into the 21st century, culturally.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
3mnkids
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 10:19:28 AM »

Great! We are never getting out of there now.   Bluesad

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
dean

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 04:06:00 AM »

Wow, I can't wait for all the conspiracy theorists to say 'that's the real reason we haven't left Afghanistan!'

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 08:45:17 AM »

We haven't let because we don't want the stinking Taliban running the place again!!!

Those barbarians executed a SEVEN YEAR OLD BOY last week!  If every single stinking Taliban skull spontaneously detonated, I think I would go out in the streets and do the "Numa Numa" Dance in celebration!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
3mnkids

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 09:44:34 AM »

We haven't let because we don't want the stinking Taliban running the place again!!!

Those barbarians executed a SEVEN YEAR OLD BOY last week!  If every single stinking Taliban skull spontaneously detonated, I think I would go out in the streets and do the "Numa Numa" Dance in celebration!

That was heartbreaking.  Bluesad   WTF is wrong with people.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Jim H

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 01:20:25 PM »

This resource vein is pretty interesting.  If that estimate is at all accurate, it'd allow them to finally build a little infrastructure in the country.  That's really what they need.

Maybe they can quit growing opium and finally make it into the 21st century, culturally.

It'd help if we got over our addiction to heroin.  It's difficult for me to throw a cultural stone when it's our money making it possible.

In any case, as one of the few ways of making a decent living, it's hard to blame them.  It's also a very useful crop that's highly in demand.

The government there should just legalize it and regulate it.  It's a good for legitimate uses too, considering how effective of a pain killer the stuff is (via morphine and codeine, and others).  Not to mention poppy seeds themselves.  Even if they wouldn't get as high of prices, it'd be more stable and less of it would be seized.  They could offer the farmers better protections than the taliban soldiers give them.  It'd certainly have a better chance of making an impact than what they're doing now.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 09:29:29 PM »

I've never used illegal drugs, never even been tempted to.  I simply don't understand the appeal.

On the one hand, I recognize that there is a pretty compelling legal case to be made for legalization of drugs.

On the other hand, I fail to see how society benefits from having another legalized intoxicant, especially stuff like heroin and meth that tend to pretty much be fatal.

Heck, I'd love to see TOBACCO banned . . . . I hate the vile stuff, and it is downright deadly to the user.

But, as has been remarked, I'm kind of bizarre about some things.

Jim H

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 10:16:41 PM »

You are aware poppy is used to make morphine and codeine?  Point in fact, morphine is practically the same thing as heroin.  Morphine is a great drug for people recovering from surgery and others in severe pain while hospitalized.  Codeine is excellent for somewhat more minor pain relief.  I can't believe anyone would be against these drugs, considering the amount of pain they prevent.

There are also, of course, poppyseed oils (for a variety of uses) and poppyseed used in various foods.

In Afghanistan right now, it is illegal to grow poppy for ANY REASON.  It doesn't have to be legalized to make heroin or opium (I consider that a separate issue), but I can't think of any reason it shouldn't be allowed for more legitimate purposes.

Heck, I'd love to see TOBACCO banned . . . . I hate the vile stuff, and it is downright deadly to the user.

Cigarettes certainly are with the way most smoke 'em.  The high balling of tobacco deaths irritates the crap out of me though (smoke 5 packs of cigs in your lifetime, die of cancer or heart disease, and you're considered a tobacco death). 

A good cigar, however, is a wonderful thing.   TeddyR
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.