Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:38:52 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Ignorant questions for people living in foreign countries « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Ignorant questions for people living in foreign countries  (Read 5433 times)
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« on: June 15, 2010, 07:30:15 AM »

I know there is a wide diversity of b-movie lovers on this forum from all over the world and I know we all have some question for someone else in another country.
So here is my first question for any Britts, is BBC the only network in Britain?Because on the U.S. side it seems like that the only network. It just seems weird, maybe because we have 1000 tv stations over here and 90% are crap.

Smells like popcorn and shame
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 08:33:37 AM »

up until recently the 5 standard channels that everyone here got were

BBC1
BBC2
ITV
Channel 4
Channel 5

the last three are independent of the BBC, and of each other

since the compulsary introduction of digital tv earlier this year (everyone who didn't have a digibox had to buy one and modify their tv if necessary) we now have BBC3, BBC4, and a whole bunch of other channels like Dave (great name for a tv channel) but they seem to show repeats of BBC progs so I think they're connected...plus a load of other random shopping channels and the monumentally retarded 'Psychic TV' which is mysterious old women trying to predict your future if you phone them up (for £1.50 a minute). I'll pass...

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 08:44:20 AM »

Visitors to South Africa ~ and Pretoria, where I am in particular ~ seem to think that South Africa is all jungle, that lions, tigers and other animals walk the streets and that no one here speaks a language they can understand. Just for the record, we don't have tigers here, only leopards and cheetahs. TongueOut Some travelers actually seem amazed that SA is so modern ~ "OMG! They've got mobile phones, Internet, hotels, flush toilets*, spas, everything!"  TeddyR ~ end dat ve ectually spik perfekt broken Ingliush.  Twirling

* Someone actually asked me if we had flush toilets: I said "No, we don't. We just sh*t in a bucket and throw it out the window."  Buggedout Buggedout Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 10:58:11 AM »

Visitors to South Africa ~ and Pretoria, where I am in particular ~ seem to think that South Africa is all jungle, that lions, tigers and other animals walk the streets and that no one here speaks a language they can understand. Just for the record, we don't have tigers here, only leopards and cheetahs. TongueOut Some travelers actually seem amazed that SA is so modern ~ "OMG! They've got mobile phones, Internet, hotels, flush toilets*, spas, everything!"  TeddyR ~ end dat ve ectually spik perfekt broken Ingliush.  Twirling

* Someone actually asked me if we had flush toilets: I said "No, we don't. We just sh*t in a bucket and throw it out the window."  Buggedout Buggedout Wink

Thanks for clearing that up, Trevor. I've been avoiding SA because of my phobia of both jungles and lions walking on streets.

Seriously, though, the 1966 surf classic The Endless Summer put Cape St. Francis on the map because of it's bizarre surf and waves that would practically stay in place and allow rides of 20 minutes or more. Then the surfers in The Endless Summer II (1994) went to the same spot anticipating the same thing, a remote undeveloped location with perpetual waves, and found the entire place had been developed with condos galore. Unfortunately for them, the development had also changed the surf and the perpetual waves were significantly diminished.

There, who said a surf movie couldn't teach you something about South Africa?

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 11:03:08 AM »

Visitors to South Africa ~ and Pretoria, where I am in particular ~ seem to think that South Africa is all jungle, that lions, tigers and other animals walk the streets and that no one here speaks a language they can understand.

My wife is from Brazil and people who have never been there usually think she grew up in a hut in the jungle.  Occasionally people ask us questions like "do they have indoor plumbing there?"  My answer is usually something sarcastic like, "Of course they do . . . it's Brazil, not Alabama" (no offense to anyone from Alabama . . . I know you also have indoor plumbing . . . or at least I think you do).

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 07:11:56 PM »

Damn, all this time I thought Trevor was running around in a loincloth shooting arrows at prey.   BounceGiggle  Actually that is a common one for a lot of people to think in the United States about Africa and South America.   I used to work with a Brazilian girl who said many people acted in shock when she told them they had roads and shops. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Raffine

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 07:46:54 PM »

My answer is usually something sarcastic like, "Of course they do . . . it's Brazil, not Alabama" (no offense to anyone from Alabama . . . I know you also have indoor plumbing . . . or at least I think you do).

I grew up in Alabama and I can answer that: Yes, at least we did when I was growing up. I don't think they do any more, though.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
claws
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 12:54:21 AM »

Even though I'm not a German but I have been living in Germany for some time.
People usually ask if its true that German women don't shave their arm pits. Probably the most silly 'myth' about Germany and their women.
Or if David Hasselhof is still a god in Germany. He had two, three popular songs here in the early 90s. I don't know why because honestly, his songs sucked. Hasselhof's popularity simmered down in the late 90s.

One thing I find amusing is when I look up videos on YouTube about German restaurants in America. Feels like watching WW2 footage from Nazi Germany. The way they portrait German lifestyle and food is totally outdated.
frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 02:09:25 AM »

People usually ask if its true that German women don't shave their arm pits. Probably the most silly 'myth' about Germany and their women.
Or if David Hasselhof is still a god in Germany. He had two, three popular songs here in the early 90s. I don't know why because honestly, his songs sucked. Hasselhof's popularity simmered down in the late 90s.

One thing I find amusing is when I look up videos on YouTube about German restaurants in America. Feels like watching WW2 footage from Nazi Germany. The way they portrait German lifestyle and food is totally outdated.

I'm German and when I went to school in the US for a year I was asked, among others, the following four questions, which are very similar to what my sister was asked when she went to college there a few years earlier. Here's the questions and the answers:

1) Do you have strawberries in Germany? - yes, and I still wonder why this was so frequently asked...

2) One night some friends wanted to take me out for something real special and were a bit disappointed when we got to this special destination and I told them that we also have drive-in movie theaters (although not that many and they tend to be rather crappy). Going to some fast-food drive-through joint afterwards didn't improve things as we also have these (although they told me that a Danish exchange student was thrilled because she didn't know them, yet I think she was just more polite than I was).

3) Hitler is not still alive in some nursing home in Austria. He's dead. Period. (Really dead).

4) Are you allowed to drive as fast as you want on the autobahn? YES!!!! HAHAHA!
(OK, by far the largest part has speed regulations and the tiny rest is usually jammed, but theoretically - yes). Recommended reading: The Germany chapter in Dave Berry's "Dave Berry slept here". Related to this: I did not go to America by bus.

Not often asked, but as I liked to tell more often than not: we are allowed to buy and drink beer at the age of 16 (no, not in school).

Now i will think of some stupid question I was asked when I came back over here.

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 10:05:23 AM »

I'm German and when I went to school in the US for a year I was asked, among others, the following four questions, which are very similar to what my sister was asked when she went to college there a few years earlier. Here's the questions and the answers:

1) Do you have strawberries in Germany? - yes, and I still wonder why this was so frequently asked...

2) One night some friends wanted to take me out for something real special and were a bit disappointed when we got to this special destination and I told them that we also have drive-in movie theaters (although not that many and they tend to be rather crappy). Going to some fast-food drive-through joint afterwards didn't improve things as we also have these (although they told me that a Danish exchange student was thrilled because she didn't know them, yet I think she was just more polite than I was).

3) Hitler is not still alive in some nursing home in Austria. He's dead. Period. (Really dead).

4) Are you allowed to drive as fast as you want on the autobahn? YES!!!! HAHAHA!
(OK, by far the largest part has speed regulations and the tiny rest is usually jammed, but theoretically - yes). Recommended reading: The Germany chapter in Dave Berry's "Dave Berry slept here". Related to this: I did not go to America by bus.

Not often asked, but as I liked to tell more often than not: we are allowed to buy and drink beer at the age of 16 (no, not in school).

Now i will think of some stupid question I was asked when I came back over here.

Yes, the Hitler thing I imagine annoys the hell out of Germans. Why wouldn't it? You know you've reached the pinacle of historical infamy when you've single-handedly unpopularized a style of moustache and a first and last name. I have to imagine that anyone with the last name Hitler, since then, has legally changed their name, unless they're a perverse neo-Nazi. I also imagine that since then the popularity of the name Adolf was diminished. And the only other person I can think of with a similar moustache style is Charlie Chaplin.

I guess my question to you then would be: are there actually any people with the last name Hitler in Germany? I'm actually very curious now. And I'm sorry if that's an annoying question. It's not meant to be.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
BTM

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 10:36:05 PM »

I used to work with a Brazilian girl who said many people acted in shock when she told them they had roads and shops. 

And they got lots of hot chicks in their parades!  :)

(was going to link a pic, but couldn't find too many that were SFW)

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 01:12:07 AM »

Thanks for clearing that up, Trevor. I've been avoiding SA because of my phobia of both jungles and lions walking on streets.

Seriously, though, the 1966 surf classic The Endless Summer put Cape St. Francis on the map because of it's bizarre surf and waves that would practically stay in place and allow rides of 20 minutes or more. Then the surfers in The Endless Summer II (1994) went to the same spot anticipating the same thing, a remote undeveloped location with perpetual waves, and found the entire place had been developed with condos galore. Unfortunately for them, the development had also changed the surf and the perpetual waves were significantly diminished.

There, who said a surf movie couldn't teach you something about South Africa?

TeddyR TeddyR

So now that I've cleared that up for you, when are you coming to visit us here?  TeddyR Smile

The Endless Summer trivia for you: for some odd reason, the SA Censor Board banned it for a time in 1967 and I have never been able to discover why.  Question

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 01:16:29 AM »

Damn, all this time I thought Trevor was running around in a loincloth shooting arrows at prey.   BounceGiggle 

I will see your  BounceGiggle and raise you  BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 04:44:12 AM »

Yes, the Hitler thing I imagine annoys the hell out of Germans. Why wouldn't it? You know you've reached the pinacle of historical infamy when you've single-handedly unpopularized a style of moustache and a first and last name. I have to imagine that anyone with the last name Hitler, since then, has legally changed their name, unless they're a perverse neo-Nazi. I also imagine that since then the popularity of the name Adolf was diminished. And the only other person I can think of with a similar moustache style is Charlie Chaplin.

I guess my question to you then would be: are there actually any people with the last name Hitler in Germany? I'm actually very curious now. And I'm sorry if that's an annoying question. It's not meant to be.

Not annoying at all.
Actually haven't thought about this until now, probably because I have never met someone with the last name Hitler. A quick online phone book research got one hit in Germany. Poor fellow... I tried the same with an Austrian phone book and 70 results showed up, but that's actually not that surprising, as he was Austrian.

As far as I know, the name itself is not officially forbidden or something, but many families changed their names after the war, not only Hitlers, but also Himmlers, Goerings, etc. It is said that official offices made that rather easy, in the eastern parts it was encouraged. I have no idea if any relatives still live. Not long ago I read an interview with the daughter of Albert Speer and I guess there are many others.

Adolf is also rather unpopular nowadays. In school, a classmate had Adolf as the second name, which he usually wouldn't tell but it showed up in some official documents. He wasn't that happy afterwards.

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
dean

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 05:45:49 AM »

I have a question: What's with the 'football' in NFL?  Not only do they rarely use their feet, but when they do, it isn't kicking, it's punting?   Question

TongueOut

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Ignorant questions for people living in foreign countries « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.