Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:47:28 AM
713327 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Ignorant questions from people living in a different State than you « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Ignorant questions from people living in a different State than you  (Read 12306 times)
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2010, 09:05:01 PM »

Most people, some tourists, do ask about Scrapple if they're eating a breakfast at a diner or restaurant.  Apparently Scrapple is unknown to most people outside of the PA/NJ/DE region.  Without a proper way to describe it, it's this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple

I've heard of that. Never had it, but I recall it being mentioned back home. Looking at the recipe, it seems very similar to some haggis variants, with the scraps, broth, grain, etc.
On a side note, I love how the Wiki Nazis are all over that article. Seems they require a citation for every step in a brief description of making a loaf out of pork scraps and cornmeal. BounceGiggle

I've never ever had Haggis, always thought it sounded disgusting.  But seeing as I eat scrapple... TeddyR

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I'm a Mac...

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2010, 01:25:41 AM »

Not so much questions, but what drives me up a wall is how a lot of people, especially those living below the 36th parallel north are unable to properly pronounce the names of either Dubuque or Des Moines.  I've had to bite my tongue a few times.

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
Oscar
Dedicated Viewer

Meurdher? Who said meurdher??!!

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2010, 08:54:52 AM »

Being an Okie, people seem to think everyone from there is a cowboy. There are a bunch but mostly in small towns. A friend of mine once went to some Ivy League prep school for the summer. He said he got tired of stupid questions and started walking  with a pronounced limp to one side. When people would ask what was wrong, he'd say "It's nothing, I'm just trying to get used to walking without my gun belt".
Jim H

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2010, 12:56:45 PM »

When I was living in Japan, and let it be known from Texas, I would always hear:

"COWBOY!!! Bang bang!!" 

Some of those whose English was a bit better would ask me:

Who shot J.R.?  (this was in 1983)
How many horses I owned?
Where my guns were?

I had a friend who lived in Japan for over two years.  According to him, today, the Japanese basically assume all Americans own a small arsenal of firearms and there are daily shootouts and quickdraws in every city.  Actually, that appears to be what many Europeans think as well.   Lookingup

From what he learned of interacting with the people there, it seemed to him that as far as baffling ignorance of the outside world goes, Japan is several orders of magnitude worse than the USA. 

My favorite was an Australian friend of his who was asked by a local, completely seriously.

"Did you ride in a kangaroo's pouch to get to school back home?"
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2010, 10:21:25 PM »

I had a friend who lived in Japan for over two years.  According to him, today, the Japanese basically assume all Americans own a small arsenal of firearms and there are daily shootouts and quickdraws in every city.  Actually, that appears to be what many Europeans think as well.   Lookingup

While I can't claim we're as bad as say, New York or Detroit, this area I'm in now is pretty frigging bad, and well, there are daily shootouts around here for no real reason other than people are bored. Buggedout

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2010, 10:58:40 PM »

While I can't claim we're as bad as say, New York or Detroit, this area I'm in now is pretty frigging bad, and well, there are daily shootouts around here for no real reason other than people are bored. Buggedout

The reason why they have this perception is because the people who perpetuate this stereotype are, of course, the loudest and brashest of Americans, and, like the proverbial squeaky wheel, get the grease (attention). Likewise, this is what is portrayed in popular media as well. There are plenty of decent, peaceful, intellectual Americans, but who wants to see a movie or television show about them? Boooooring.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2010, 12:33:16 AM »

People always ask me if i know any country singers.

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2010, 06:31:35 AM »

From what he learned of interacting with the people there, it seemed to him that as far as baffling ignorance of the outside world goes, Japan is several orders of magnitude worse than the USA. 

It's funny because Japan has a lot of video game developers and publishers, and they're desperately trying to cash in on all those American video gaming dollars by making games that pander to exactly that stereotype.  And then they're baffled when they don't sell well.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Jim H

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2010, 01:43:47 PM »

The one thing that is funny is, of course, there's a degree of truth to the stereotype - my friend and his family own guns.  About half of American households do, mine included.  And my friend WAS able to relate that he, as a white person, wouldn't enter East St. Louis and a few other areas at night due to fear of being killed (truth be told, you're more likely to get THREATENED than actually killed though  Buggedout). 
3mnkids

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2010, 01:51:43 PM »

And my friend WAS able to relate that he, as a white person, wouldn't enter East St. Louis and a few other areas at night due to fear of being killed (truth be told, you're more likely to get THREATENED than actually killed though  Buggedout). 

I lived in East St. Louis almost 30 years ago and it was bad then.  I was surrounded by a group of kids after school who threatened to cut my eyes out. Older kids. I was 7 maybe 8. I never went back to that school and we moved shortly after that. There are bad areas everywhere though.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Jim H

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2010, 02:20:38 PM »

And my friend WAS able to relate that he, as a white person, wouldn't enter East St. Louis and a few other areas at night due to fear of being killed (truth be told, you're more likely to get THREATENED than actually killed though  Buggedout).  

I lived in East St. Louis almost 30 years ago and it was bad then.  I was surrounded by a group of kids after school who threatened to cut my eyes out. Older kids. I was 7 maybe 8. I never went back to that school and we moved shortly after that. There are bad areas everywhere though.

East St. Louis and the actual city of St. Louis are two of the most dangerous areas in the USA right now.  East St. Louis is actually much more dangerous per capita though - it has the highest crime rate of any city in the USA (along with Opa Locka).  The murder rate is about 20 times the national average.  I can tell you Missourians avoid it at all costs (it's fairly easy to accidentally drive into it from a few places in Missouri, even though it's actually in Illinois).

I believe the city of St. Louis (opposed to the county, which are divorced) has the highest murder rate of any MAJOR city, though.  Neck and neck with the OTHER major city I used to live near - Detroit.  Even the bad areas in St. Louis though don't FEEL as bad as East St. Louis.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2010, 03:02:07 PM »

And my friend WAS able to relate that he, as a white person, wouldn't enter East St. Louis and a few other areas at night due to fear of being killed (truth be told, you're more likely to get THREATENED than actually killed though  Buggedout). 

I lived in East St. Louis almost 30 years ago and it was bad then.  I was surrounded by a group of kids after school who threatened to cut my eyes out. Older kids. I was 7 maybe 8. I never went back to that school and we moved shortly after that. There are bad areas everywhere though.

That's horrible. I don't care if they were kids themselves - anybody who would say that to a little girl should be... I won't go into what should have been done with them.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2010, 10:58:52 AM »

The reason why they have this perception is because the people who perpetuate this stereotype are, of course, the loudest and brashest of Americans, and, like the proverbial squeaky wheel, get the grease (attention). Likewise, this is what is portrayed in popular media as well. There are plenty of decent, peaceful, intellectual Americans, but who wants to see a movie or television show about them? Boooooring.
True.  Very true.  I've been to various places, and there's some nice parts, but all you read about in the papers and see on the news is all the violence, etc.  Same with where I live.  There's a town here, a suburb of Philly, the town just went into lockdown and a state of emergency cause there's so much violence, drugs, and like, 10 murders in quite a short amount of time.  What people don't realize, is while those things happen in said town, there's actually quite a good section of town but nobody wants to go due to what is read about in the news.  Sad really.

Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2010, 11:19:28 AM »

Most people think English people are evil (thank you Hollywood) or morons (Thank you Hugh Grant).

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2010, 03:11:19 PM »

I grew up in western Canada, so we didn't get a whole lot of dumb tourist questions because most of the world didn't know we existed until the Alberta oilsands project started up. Now a lot of tourists who realize we exist think that we're all either hicks, rednecks, cowboys or rig pigs. C'mon, guys, give us a little credit...some of us live in BC and grow weed for a living!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Ignorant questions from people living in a different State than you « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.