Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:16:17 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Red-Winged Blackbird = Creature from the Black Lagoon Music « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Red-Winged Blackbird = Creature from the Black Lagoon Music  (Read 2283 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: June 16, 2010, 10:43:37 AM »

I've been outside a lot this spring at our house (we moved in during the summer of 2008 and I was gone part of spring 2009).  We're in a fairly rural area.  As a result, I've heard a lot of red-winged blackbirds.  What struck me one day was that their call sounds a lot like the music from "Creature from the Black Lagoon" (the main, repetitive chords).  I wonder if there was some inspiration there.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 08:02:56 AM »

Like the calls at the beginning of the clip on this site?  http://www.birdjam.com/birdsong.php?id=25

That would be a very effective method: take something unconsciously familiar, use it for that or tweak it and thereby generate a suggestion of unease.  Cool to use other senses, not just visual.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 08:21:52 AM »

Like the calls at the beginning of the clip on this site?  http://www.birdjam.com/birdsong.php?id=25

That is very close.  The calls from the birds near my house are even closer sounding to the "Creature from the Black Lagoon" chord.  It might be due to my distance from them (they are 50-100 meters from me; I think that sound clip was recorded near to the bird) or perhaps regional differences in the species.

When the similarity hit me I actually stood up (I was weeding the garden); sort of an "Ah-ha!" moment.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Raffine

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 08:26:03 PM »

I can hear it.

Conk-a-reeeee!!!

Bernard Herrmann once said his infamous 'Murder' cue from PSYCHO was inspired by the shrieking of birds.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 08:32:45 PM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 11:12:32 AM »

Here's a trailer for "Creature from the Lagoon" with the chord I am talking about at 27 seconds or so:

Small | Large

And here are two videos of red-winged blackbird calling:

Small | Large

Small | Large

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Red-Winged Blackbird = Creature from the Black Lagoon Music « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.