Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:21:39 PM
713370 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  7 Classic Disney Movies that Taught Terrible Lessons « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 7 Classic Disney Movies that Taught Terrible Lessons  (Read 9083 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« on: June 16, 2010, 01:10:17 PM »

I found this list on cracked dot com and it instantly caught my attention.  I find it pretty amusing and in reality, they do bring up some good points about some of the weird tones in the film.  I think the Little Mermaid one gets me the most and makes the most sense to me how bad the lesson is in reality when you really sit down and think about how Ariel got what she wanted.

http://www.cracked.com/article_16905_7-classic-disney-movies-that-taught-us-terrible-lessons.html

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 03:59:02 PM »

I found this list on cracked dot com and it instantly caught my attention.  I find it pretty amusing and in reality, they do bring up some good points about some of the weird tones in the film.  I think the Little Mermaid one gets me the most and makes the most sense to me how bad the lesson is in reality when you really sit down and think about how Ariel got what she wanted.

http://www.cracked.com/article_16905_7-classic-disney-movies-that-taught-us-terrible-lessons.html

I'm sure I'll still love the Disney classics, but I totally agree with all of those. The problem with most Disney films is causality and consequence. There are no consequences for the questionable actions of the hero/heroine.

I'll add Pinocchio to the list. The Blue Fairy gives this poor old man an animated marionette with no moral compass, save a cricket who is supposed to be his conscience, since he has no soul. What a recipe for disaster from the start, that horrible b***h Blue Fairy. The poor old man, with no clue how to raise a child, just sends the completely naive little golem on his own to fend for himself with no guidance whatsoever. Then Pinocchio proceeds from one disastrous decision to the next, until the hapless old man has to go save his ass, and the little splinter gets to become a real boy anyway. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that the real ending is, the little s**t, after becoming a real boy, is good for about a day before going back to being a little s**t, and the dopey old man will continue to offer no guidance and bail the bastard out over and over, in an endless cycle of codependency, unless the little idiot goes and gets himself killed, which is probably the more likely outcome.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 04:18:18 PM »

Although it's not on the list, BAMBI, sends some mixed messages.

Such as: All HUNTERS ARE EVIL AND BURN DOWN FORESTS

My husband has been an avid hunter for over 35 years.  He is an ethical hunter, admires the wildlife, and respects the enviornment.   I am sure that there are more hunters like him, than not. 

Yeah, I know it's a cartoon, but I had to put my 2 cents in.

Hold onto your dreams ....
3mnkids

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 04:46:46 PM »

These three bother me the most and are sooo true. 
From the list...
Cinderella~
"If you wait around long enough, the universe will practically hand stuff to you".

Beauty and the beast~ 

"Underneath the abusive exterior of your man is a loving heart he's just dying to share with you"

The fox and the hound~
"And by "get along" we mean "don't kill each other." We certainly do not mean "live together." Don't be silly, you belong to different races!"

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 07:13:29 PM »

You know I like that list.  It is well thought out and accurate. 

I've always said the Beast is a complete d*ckhead. He only starts to be nice to Belle when he realizes his time is short to find love to end the curse. 

Another thing I don't like about The Little Mermaid is Ariel's direct disobeyment of her father.  To make matters worse that disobeyment leads to her dreams coming true.  Nothing like saying "F" your parents to get what you've always wanted. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
ChaosTheory

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 09:03:29 PM »

Yeah, they make some good points there.

I'll play devil's advocate real quick on a couple of them: Belle hated the Beast at first and didn't give him any positive reaction until he stopped acting abusive (but yeah, it's still an unhealthy message).  And in Sleeping Beauty, Aurora & Prince Philip had already met and hit it off before the spell took effect.  That raises something that's always bugged me about Disney flicks though: the love stories are always absurdly rushed. Seriously, you've known each other, what, two days?  Mulan and Aladdin are the only ones where the relationship progression feels even a little natural.
Didn't they do a DTV Hunchback sequel where Quasi DOES land a pretty girl?  It always struck me as kind of odd that they even adapted that story at all; that's some dark material in there, even with the weird slapped-on happy ending.
One Disney movie that surprised me in terms of sending a POSITIVE message was The Princess and the Frog. The primary message was, it takes hard work to get what you want; family and self-reliance are more important than material things, and a deal with the devil? NOT a good idea.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Jim H

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 11:13:44 PM »

I found this list on cracked dot com and it instantly caught my attention.  I find it pretty amusing and in reality, they do bring up some good points about some of the weird tones in the film.  I think the Little Mermaid one gets me the most and makes the most sense to me how bad the lesson is in reality when you really sit down and think about how Ariel got what she wanted.

I'm sure I'll still love the Disney classics, but I totally agree with all of those. The problem with most Disney films is causality and consequence. There are no consequences for the questionable actions of the hero/heroine.

I'll add Pinocchio to the list. The Blue Fairy gives this poor old man an animated marionette with no moral compass, save a cricket who is supposed to be his conscience, since he has no soul. What a recipe for disaster from the start, that horrible b***h Blue Fairy. The poor old man, with no clue how to raise a child, just sends the completely naive little golem on his own to fend for himself with no guidance whatsoever. Then Pinocchio proceeds from one disastrous decision to the next, until the hapless old man has to go save his ass, and the little splinter gets to become a real boy anyway. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that the real ending is, the little s**t, after becoming a real boy, is good for about a day before going back to being a little s**t, and the dopey old man will continue to offer no guidance and bail the bastard out over and over, in an endless cycle of codependency, unless the little idiot goes and gets himself killed, which is probably the more likely outcome.

Yeah, it's actually a little better in the original book.  I might add the consequences in the book are considerably darker - for example, Pinocchio's friend who gets turned into a donkey?  Pinocchio meets him later, and finds out a farmer has been mistreating him badly, so badly in fact that the boy dies soon after.

But in the original, Gepetto is a better father (he's basically a flawless character in the book) and in fact the block of wood Pinocchio was carved from could ALREADY talk before he made him into a puppet.  Suffice to say, Pinocchio is just a bad son, who through many awful trials learns his lessons. 
Paquita

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 12:02:45 AM »

I have to disagree with the list a little bit on Cinderella.  It was supposed to be her extreme kindness that led to her happy ending.  She wasn't miserable at all, she was really quite happy with her little animal friends, singing songs and doing little sewing projects.  I always had a feeling that if the whole ball & prince thing didn't work out, her and her little friends would eventually get the step-family out of the picture.

I also disagreed with Sleeping Beauty, but ChaosTheory already pointed out the flaw there.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 11:02:07 PM »

I have to disagree with number three- not all ugly guys gets the girls, hell, I'm ugly as sin and i still got a girlfriend!

yeah no.
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »

I can't plug Cracked.com enough. It's like a magical land where crass humor lives in harmony with knowledge and thought.

50s and 60s kids seem so nostalgic about their good ol days. Cracked's disney lists, among others, really point out how 80s kids are growing up to realize they were fed a steady cultural diet of complete BS.

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 03:41:02 PM »

I can't plug Cracked.com enough. It's like a magical land where crass humor lives in harmony with knowledge and thought.

Perhaps a bit too crass and not enough "thought."

I'd love to share that article with a friend of mine (who has two daughters)...the points are solid enough.  But the language is atrocious and I know my friend would NOT appreciate me sending her such an article.

I've said this a bunch, and I'll repeat it here again:  Why?  Why is lowering the standard deemed so necessary?  Would that article not be just as good without the gutter talk?  What does it add?

Really, it makes me think a teenager (or just as bad, a college student) wrote it, thereby losing about 93% of the credibility it almost had.

Sorry.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Jim H

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 02:30:48 PM »

I've said this a bunch, and I'll repeat it here again:  Why?  Why is lowering the standard deemed so necessary?  Would that article not be just as good without the gutter talk?  What does it add?

It's part of the exaggerated, open-eyed persona that all the writers on Cracked use - they're writing as if they were an everyman who suddenly discovered these things and is, like, totally shocked, or, whatever.  It's supposed to add humor, somewhat similar to Ben Thompson, writer of Badass of the Week.

The biggest difference is I actually find Ben Thompson is actually amusing and the stores are interesting, whereas Cracked lists are just interesting.

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/list.html
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 09:14:53 PM »

It's part of the exaggerated, open-eyed persona that all the writers on Cracked use - they're writing as if they were an everyman who suddenly discovered these things and is, like, totally shocked, or, whatever.  It's supposed to add humor, somewhat similar to Ben Thompson, writer of Badass of the Week.

I think that this is the key to why more and more "serious" writers are using profanity, even when it doesn't add anything to the piece.  They think dropping a few f-words makes them sound unpretentious, just like an average Joe.  I think they're trying to portray themselves as smart, but not stuck up: "see, I may be brainy and insightful but it's nonthreatening 'cause can cuss just as hard as you guys!" 

Personally, I'd rather be threatening.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 11:48:41 PM »

I think that this is the key to why more and more "serious" writers are using profanity, even when it doesn't add anything to the piece.  They think dropping a few f-words makes them sound unpretentious, just like an average Joe.  I think they're trying to portray themselves as smart, but not stuck up: "see, I may be brainy and insightful but it's nonthreatening 'cause can cuss just as hard as you guys!" 

Oh man, that's even worse!  So it's fake - an affect?  Someone trying to "portray" being cool or just an Average Joe?

I guess my question is why is THIS the measure of cool or how to show you are not stuck up?  Do all Average Joes really talk this way when just discussing DISNEY MOVIES?  Wow.

Seems like a good way to show you are not pretentious is to just BE non-pretentious.  But what could *I* possibly know about that?   Twirling

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Jim H

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 12:48:22 AM »

Oh man, that's even worse!  So it's fake - an affect?  Someone trying to "portray" being cool or just an Average Joe?

I guess my question is why is THIS the measure of cool or how to show you are not stuck up?  Do all Average Joes really talk this way when just discussing DISNEY MOVIES?  Wow.

Seems like a good way to show you are not pretentious is to just BE non-pretentious.  But what could *I* possibly know about that?   Twirling

Well, arguably the way people write when they are in their normal voice is just as fake.  Anyone who writes for a specific market is doing an affect to some degree or another.  And almost all for-profit writers are doing just that.  Or for that matter, consider the angry editorials in local newspapers that are completely lacking in swearing, when in fact they'd be likely to have some in them if the papers allowed it.  Isn't that basically the same thing in reverse?

That said though, I think some people at Cracked are decent writers, but I must admit the voice they use I do find irritating as generally the stuff they dig up is interesting enough that I'd prefer a more straight forward, clearly presented method.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  7 Classic Disney Movies that Taught Terrible Lessons « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.