Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:21:21 AM
713348 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Best Movie Series EVER? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Best Movie Series EVER?  (Read 3649 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: August 08, 2010, 12:26:24 AM »

Over the last couple of weeks, my family and I sat down and watched THE LORD OF THE RINGS, Special Edition, Extended Cut, trilogy.  All 11 glorious  hours of it.  Having read the books over 30 times, and owning Tolkein Calendars going all the way back to 1980 (by the Brothers Hildebrand), I guess you could call me a raving Tolkein fan.

But even making some attempt at objectivity, I still have to say that this incredibly beautiful trilogy of films, especially when seen in the extended cut where the full extent of Jackson's adaptive genius can be seen, may well be the finest movies I have ever watched in my life.

Yes, they left out some parts of the book.  Yes, they inflated the roles of some characters while leaving some out and/or reducing the roles of others.  But taken as a whole, EVERYTHING about this series is darn near perfect. Most of the changes from the book made the story work better as a movie.  The casting was brilliant.  I had always envisioned Sean Connery as Gandalf, but Ian McKellan now OWNS that role.  Viggo Mortensen was perfect as Aragorn, Liv Tyler was beautiful, fierce, and fragile as Arwen, and Sean Astin's portrayal of the steadfast, loyal, and unshakable Sam Gamgee was brilliant! Even the CGI generated, tortured character of Gollum was absolutely in keeping with his portrayal in the books, and Elijah Wood had the perfect blend of pathos and courage as Frodo. The soundtrack was gorgeous, the cinematography breathtaking, the script flowed beautifully, and even the CGI was impressive.  Certain scenes in the movie still just leave me gasping at their sheer beauty and artistry.

I know these films have been out awhile, and I know that not everyone here shares my love of epic fantasy.  But, here and now, I raise my glass to Peter Jackson and his remarkable achievement in bringing the greatest fantasy epic of all time to brilliant, vibrant life!

THE LORD OF THE RINGS . . . BEST MOVIE SERIES OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!!! Cheers

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
codemen95
New Visitor

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 12:37:24 AM »

the toy story series. Every movie was great, and the end of toy story 3 was just great, and was crying at that point. i know a lot did cry at that part. Don't deny it.
Vik
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 01:02:59 AM »

The Vengeance trilogy.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 07:45:29 AM »

I'd have to go with the Alien movies.  The first was a brilliant horror movie, the second was a brilliant action / adventure / horror movie, the third was, well, pretty good.  The fourth movie sucked, but on the strength of the first two I'd have to give the nod to that franchise.  They're coming out with the collection on Blu ray one of these months too.  Might just have to pick that up.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 08:26:56 AM »

Back to the Future.
Its all just perfect.

Its smart, funny, warm, action packed, adventerous. Just awesome. Great characters and score.

Its just soooo good.  Thumbup

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 02:27:52 PM »

I think I agree with Indy.

STAR WARS could have been a contender, but the prequels leave a permanent bad taste.

Sergio Leone's The Man with No Name "trilogy" might be a contender, but I'm not sure it should really count as a series. 

I can't think of any series where each film was as consistently good as THE LORD OF THE RINGS.  Jackson was able to cheat a bit, though, by essentially filming one extremely long movie and breaking it into three parts.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
3mnkids

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 04:58:23 PM »

I have to agree with LOTR. The problem with most series is that there is usually one that screws it all up.

The Godfather... part 3 ruined it.
Star Wars... ugh, what a slap in the face 1,2 and 3 were.
Aliens..First two great but after that they got lazy
Indiana Jones.. Again,first two great, third is good but the 4th was like a big middle finger
Pirates of the Caribbean.. first two great, third was blah.

I could list the harry potter movies but I haven't seen them.  TeddyR

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Vik
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 05:10:05 PM »

I'm not sure if the Vengeance trilogy really fits here, though. They're 3 different stories.
And I agree with most series named here.
Ometiklan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 06:09:15 PM »

Lord of the Rings.
For Me as well! Smile

And when he shall die
Take him and cut him into little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night,
And pay no worship to the garish sun.
ChaosTheory

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 06:14:42 PM »

I think the Bourne movies turned out really well, and the Vampire Hunter D movies too; but for the best ever I gotta say it's a toss-up between LOTR and Toy Story  Cheers

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 08:26:33 PM »

Toy Story was a great series all the way through.  It stuck to it's guns and never lost it's cinematic soul.

Star Wars, although I love it, is immensely flawed I find.  Too many WTF moments to really call it the "greatest ever". 

I'm with Doggett with Back To The Future.  Every film was wonderfully full of humor and excitement.  Granted it was repetitive but its what made them all fun.  The story just tweaked around the plot nicely. 

Lord Of The Rings was great but way too drawn out I find.  I know Jackson aimed to give the fanboys a fangasm but the slow motion scenes in the last one killed me.  I have a hard time rewatching them personally. 

Indiana Jones was great, I choose to forget part 4 existed.  I still don't get why part 2 gets flamed but oh well. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 10:23:30 PM »

LORD OF THE RINGS is overblown and overrated (did I mention overlong?)  Lookingup  

I think the original FRANKENSTEIN, the sequel BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, and the third installment SON OF FRANKENSTEIN (all dating to the '30s) are a superb group of films.  The later installments starting in the '40s are more hokey, and less dedicated (though most have their charms).  

« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 10:26:13 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Best Movie Series EVER? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.