Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:46:58 AM
713331 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The wonderfully versatile Duct Tape « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The wonderfully versatile Duct Tape  (Read 3462 times)
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« on: June 22, 2010, 07:29:40 PM »

Ah, the wonder of duct tape.  Most web sites seem to agree that the sticky gray tape was invented in the 1920's, improved upon in the 1940's, and changed again in the 1970's. But who cares.  What inquiring minds really want to know is ... What have you used it for?

1.  I recently bought a pair of too long jeans I needed to wear right away.  Viola! Instant hem.

2. I had a old family cookbook that was falling apart.  The binding was shot and the pages were falling out.  I couldn't part with it, so I pulled out all the pages from the book and ran strips up and down one side securing the pages together. The I ran the tape up and down the binding edge overlapping it until it covered the page edges too. It isn't pretty to look at, but I still have my cookbook. Once again good old duct tape had come to the rescue.

3. Fixed a leaky garden hose.

4. I have this whirley gig garden decoration that seemed to unscrew itself out of the ground whenever it was too windy outside.  I just wrapped the bottom of the stick part a few times with the tape and stuck it back in back in the ground. It has fallen over since.

I'm sure there are hundreds, thousands, maybe millions  Buggedout of other uses for this wonderful stuff.  Let's hear 'em guys!   TeddyR

Hold onto your dreams ....
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 07:38:49 PM »

I usually put it over my victims' mouths before I  . . . . er, I mean, I use it to fix stuff around the house.  Yeah.  That sort of thing. TeddyR

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 10:22:32 PM »

The most interesting duct tape trick I've used was something a builder shared with me when I was helping out on a Habitat for Humanity house a few years ago. I had the job of installing insulation bats in an unfinished ceiling, before there was any vapour barrier or drywall to hold it up. Not sure why they didn't just blow loose insulation into the attic at the very end, but I think they might have gotten all the Fibreglass Pink donated from somewhere. Anyway, starting at one end of the room, wrap your duct tape around the first joist, leave the roll hanging while you jam your insulation up there, pull it under the bat to the next joist, wrap around and repeat. Do the same thing on each subsequent row. It only takes one strip of tape, because the outside wall or the previous row will provide additional support to your insulation.

I was amazed at just how smoothly that worked. The insulation was up in no time, and stayed nice and secure while the plastic and the drywall went up.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 05:44:19 AM »

I usually put it over my victims' mouths before I  . . . . er, I mean, I use it to fix stuff around the house.  Yeah.  That sort of thing. TeddyR

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 06:29:02 AM »

We've got several sections of lawn that are only about 12' wide, like between the garage and the street, or the side of our house and the neighbor's yard.  Your average lawn sprinkler waters an area about 30' wide, so I put duct tape over the holes on either side, leaving only the ones in the middle open.  That way I can water my little strips of yard without shooting water all over everything else.

When they installed our new furnace in the basement, they left a lot of sharp edges on the ductwork, good for snagging your clothes on if not taking a good chunk out of your skin if you happen to brush against it while walking past.  So, a little duct tape over the sharp parts, and viola, they're no longer dangerous.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 06:21:30 PM »

I'm told it can come in handy under a strapless dress...

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 08:09:47 PM »

Indeed it does. But it pulls my chest hairs something awful when it's time to remove it.  Buggedout BounceGiggle Twirling

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 08:16:52 PM »

My last used was for my air conditioner window shields. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 10:53:11 PM »

So I was building a go cart when the floor collapsed and I didn't want to waste an hour just to fix it, so I duct taped it! TeddyR Duct Tape also makes for a good stripe or two TeddyR

yeah no.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 09:00:23 AM »

One of my sons ended up in a cast after a fall from a chair when he was almost 2 years old.  The Dr put it in a cast and told me to simply replace the cast when the child took it off.  Which he did with annoying regularity.  Slipped it right off over his hand.  Trying to put it back on was a trial: never mind the squirming (had to be uncomfortable), but the kid would spread his fingers and the tube-like cast would not  slide back on over his digits.

In desperation I ended up taking a long piece of duct tape, ran it up from the heel of his hand, over and past the ends of all his fingers and doubled it back down on the back of his hand: ended up with all his fingers taped as one and with a handy little tab/'handle' protruding that I could thread through the cast and pull on to slide his arm back in.  Slap-slap-slip!  Worked like a charm! (No worries: I removed the tape each time and re-applied it as needed).

"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 09:20:03 AM »

You can also duct tape PVC pipe across a young goat's horns to keep her from getting her head stuck in the fence.  Looks kinda funny though!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 09:52:39 AM »

Newt, you sexy thing !  Wink

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2010, 03:07:42 PM »

Newt, you sexy thing !  Wink
Doggett, dear, you have no idea.  Wink

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 05:03:45 PM »

Duct tape saved my marriage.

Actually, I've fixed our USMC load bearing vests with it, upholstery in a truck, the plastic windows on a HMMWV, an antenna, books as Silverlady mentioned, and it can be used as a field-expedient weatherproofing for rips or tears in tents and in roofs.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2010, 05:46:03 PM »

Duct tape saved my marriage.

Actually, I've fixed our USMC load bearing vests with it, upholstery in a truck, the plastic windows on a HMMWV, an antenna, books as Silverlady mentioned, and it can be used as a field-expedient weatherproofing for rips or tears in tents and in roofs.

Well, Mythbusters built a boat out of it!, a cannon, and is able to redo a car if it's busted up. TeddyR

yeah no.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The wonderfully versatile Duct Tape « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.