Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:44:53 PM
713363 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  bands most famous for someone else's song « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: bands most famous for someone else's song  (Read 16670 times)
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2010, 05:29:11 PM »

Another good one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YvAYIJSSZY
Rockwell's original version is his one hit, with Michael Jackson singing the chorus.

what about Blame It On The Boogie, written by Michael Jackson, but not that Michael Jackson, who then heard it and covered it, making it famous, while the other Michael Jackson's version went nowhere. you couldn't make it up!

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2010, 09:35:50 PM »

Stories' "Brother Louie" was originally recorded by Hot Chocolate.
Naked Eyes' "Always Something There To Remind Me" was written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David, and Dionne Warwick did the original demo in 1963.  Sandie Shaw and Lou Johnson, as well as many others, had covers before Naked Eyes had theirs in 1983.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2010, 10:52:35 AM »

The Kingsmen's version of "Louie, Louie."  (I prefer Richard Berry's original).

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Nukie 2

I did it all for the...

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2010, 02:50:57 PM »

Metallica "One Last Caress" which was originally written and performed by the Misfits.
But at least it introduced people to the Misfits.

Watch Nukie on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wab1Y713tN0
"Like" International Fans of the Movie Nukie and Sias Odendaal on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Fans-of-the-Movie-Nukie-and-Sias-Odendaal/135820159771783
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2010, 05:45:52 PM »

Metallica "One Last Caress" which was originally written and performed by the Misfits.
also Diamond Head originally did "Am I Evil"

suppose this thread should be about 2 different things: artists who are most well known for someone else's song, and artists who made a song more well known than the original artist did. because obviously Metallica are not most well known for a cover. (probably have to say Enter Sandman is their most well known tune? debatable one, Master Of Puppets is up there...)

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2010, 10:11:58 PM »

also Diamond Head originally did "Am I Evil"

suppose this thread should be about 2 different things: artists who are most well known for someone else's song, and artists who made a song more well known than the original artist did. because obviously Metallica are not most well known for a cover. (probably have to say Enter Sandman is their most well known tune? debatable one, Master Of Puppets is up there...)
I'd hate to go too off topic, but I'd say Sandman is their most well known tune.  If anything, cause it was a crossover type hit, with a lot of MTV play, not just on Headbanger's Ball either.  I would hear it not just on the "Rock" stations, but on the Top-40/Pop style stations.  Hell, even heard it on an Adult Contemporary station that plays stuff from Hootie and The Blowfish and Richard Marx, so yeah. 

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
voltron

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2010, 10:31:35 AM »

I too belive Metallica in their early days (before they were signed) got kudos for covering Diamond Head, Savage, and lots of other NWOBHM bands. People were telling them how great their songs were but little did they know that they were covers.
On the Garage days EP they covered Killing Joke's "the Wait" which introduced me to that band.
Also, Blue Cheer got famous for their cover of "Summertime Blues".

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Jim H

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2010, 07:31:17 PM »

The Kingsmen's version of "Louie, Louie."  (I prefer Richard Berry's original).

That's one of the more extreme ones, I'd say.  Good example.  Must admit I greatly prefer the Kingsmen version - I find the background singer in the original kind of annoying, and I like the more upbeat instrumentation of the Kingsmen version.  Like 'em both though.

The Kingsmen version is so iconic now that most covers include the error where the singer comes in early.  That's pretty incredible, really.
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2010, 09:20:50 PM »

Blue Swede had their biggest hit with "Hooked On A Feeling", which was originally performed by BJ ("Don't call me Blow Job") Thomas.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
StatCat
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2010, 12:54:31 AM »

Blondie- Hanging on the Telephone is originally by the Nerves but I don't think a lot of people are aware of that.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 01:15:10 AM by StatCat » Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
Wear a suit and tie when I'd rather sit and die
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2010, 04:10:00 PM »

Blondie- Hanging on the Telephone is originally by the Nerves but I don't think a lot of people are aware of that.

I did not know that. good shout

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  bands most famous for someone else's song « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.