Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:37:40 AM
714208 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Fairs « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fairs  (Read 1625 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« on: June 25, 2010, 07:38:55 PM »

It seems across the US and not to mention the world people love a good fair.  There are several types out there so I figured we could open the discussion ranging from County Fairs all the way through Renaissance Faires.  

Growing up we'd go every year to The Big E, or Eastern States Exposition in Western, MA.  

http://www.thebige.com/

It was pretty much the same old sh!t every year with the same old set up.  However, we wouldn't miss it.  Sometimes I'd take a day off of school to go for the day.  The food was always great and they had a french fry vendor there that made unbelievably amazing fries. They also had rides, games, shows and a whole bunch of other fun stuff.  I took several years off after getting married/having kids but I hope to go again some time soon.  

In my area, every year local churches throw a bazaar which people flock to.  Granted its about three or four rickety rides and a bunch of overprice games but we still flock there.  

One thing I actually didn't dig was King Richard's Faire out in MA.  Its a Reconnaissance Faire idea which I'm just ok with.   If dressing up is your thing more power to you but I just didn't get into too much.  I do have friends who live for this sort of thing though.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 08:22:02 PM »

Funny, I was just thinking about the fair we go to each year, about 30 miles from here.  Your typical small town county fair, a bunch of rides that were thrown up in about 12 hours, makes them MUCH more exciting wondering if they remembered to put all the bolts in.  The smell of the fair - spilled beer, popcorn, cotton candy, deep fried everything and the greatest of all things upon the face of the earth - cheese curds!  My wife and I have (quite) a few beers, the kids get a bit out of hand, usually there's some raised voices involved.  Wouldn't miss it for the world  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 04:05:13 AM »

A bunch of rides that were thrown up in about 12 hours, makes them MUCH more exciting wondering if they remembered to put all the bolts in.

Buggedout BuggedoutTeddyR TeddyR

The last time I was at a fair was in Bloemfontein at the Volksblad Art festival in July last year where a part of the University of the Free State campus is set aside for stalls, rides, etc. July is winter here but the cold added to the fun. Just a pity that I won't be going there this year as it would have been nice, but when film festival sponsors withdraw, that's it unfortunately.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 07:18:26 AM »

Going to the West End Car Show in the town of Gilbert, PA tomorrow. It's their 15th year, but our 3rd time going.  It's a small sized FAIR with oldie cars!  Typical foods are popcorn, funnel cakes, italian sausage, perogies, ice cream and pizza among other things.  There will be vendors selling all kinds of crap, and entertainment like jugglers and face painters.

In our neck of the woods (northeast PA) we have a lot of festivals (another name for fair) in the summer and fall. We have a garlic festival, Greek and Italian festivals, Celtic, and lumberjack (with log rolling) which I can recall offhand. 

Then there are the really big Fairs - like the Bloomsburg Fair, Kutztown,  West End.  These are the ones with the cows, sheep, farm equipment, food and flea market vendors, and live demonstrations of say ... glass blowing, making soap and candles and the like.

It's a fun way to spend an afternoon.   Smile

Hold onto your dreams ....
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 07:23:33 AM »

There will be vendors selling all kinds of crap

TeddyR

Would that be good crap, bad crap or can I just use it for my lawn?  Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 07:51:02 AM »

Delaware is such a small state that we can always go to the Delaware State Fair.  It has the normal cadre of games and food choices, and is also big for things like a baking, livestock, and produce competitions.  We grew up in a fairly rural area, so it's a fun afternoon with the children. 

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 07:59:03 AM »

There's a big Renaissance Fair in Plantersville, Texas, that we try to get to every few years. I'm not really into the dressing up in period costume stuff, but it is something different and interesting that takes me completely out of my day-to-day life, so it's good and I enjoy going.

In the various small and smallish towns I've lived in there have been fairs/festivals that I've attended. I grew up with the Boll Weevil Festival in my home town, celebrating the conquering of the boll weevil in our cotton fields. We had a Boll Weevil Queen, a parade, and lots of craft booths and little games for the kids. This was also where I was introduced to funnel cakes, one of life's greatest joys.  TeddyR

In my college town, there was the Fire Ant Festival, though I'm not sure exactly what that was all about. I only went once, but they had a big parade, including people dressed up like fire ants. Go figure.

In Manhattan, Kansas, there was the Dog Days Festival, celebrating the fact that it got freaking hot in August. Yay! But it was a college town, so any excuse to party was good enough. And yes, there were funnel cakes.

In the area, we celebrate with Buc Days, a big festival/carnival with a piratey name; Shrimporee, a fair to celebrate seafood; BayFest, another big carnival/festival; and WindFest, celebrating the fact that South Texas (not to mention South Texans) is windy.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 08:42:00 AM »

with their secretaries or neighbors. women with their trainer
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Fairs « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.