Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:24:47 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Bad Writing At Its Best « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bad Writing At Its Best  (Read 2253 times)
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« on: June 27, 2010, 07:59:39 AM »

I was thumbing through one of our small hometown papers and came across this article and just had to share. These are metaphors from student essays:

Her face was a perfect oval, like a circle that had its two sides compressed by train doors.

The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn't.

McMurphy fell 12 stories, hitting the pavement like a Hefty bag filled with vegetable soup.

The hailstones leaped from the pavement, just like maggots when you fry them in hot grease.

The red brick wall was the color of a brick-red Crayola crayon.

He fell for her like his heart was a mob informant and she was the East River.

He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame.  Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like the sound a dog makes just before it throws up.

The ballerina rose gracefully enpointe and extended one slender leg behind her, like a dog at a fire hydrant.

It was an American tradition, like fathers chasing kids around with power tools.

He was deeply in love.  When she spoke, he thought he heard bells, as if she were a garbage truck backing up.

She walked into my office like a centipede with 98 missing legs.

And last, but not least:  It hurt the way your tongue hurts after you accidentally staple it to the wall.

Hold onto your dreams ....
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 08:08:45 AM »

Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup BounceGiggle BounceGiggle :bouncegiggle:Those are too good!
 They remind me of the winners in the Bulwer-Lytton contest: http://www.bulwer-lytton.com/

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 08:21:38 AM »

I think these have been making the rounds on the Internet for years.  I found a blog post with some of the same ones, along with these new ones:

"His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like underpants in a dryer without Cling Free.

He spoke with the wisdom that can only come from experience, like a guy who went blind because he looked at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it, and now goes around the country speaking at high schools about the dangers of looking at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it.

She grew on him like she was a colony of E.Coli, and he was room-temperature beef.

Her vocabulary was as bad as, like, whatever.

He was as tall as a six-foot, three-inch tree.

The revelation that his marriage of 30 years had disintegrated because of his wife’s infidelity came as a rude shock, like a surcharge at a formerly surcharge-free ATM machine.

The whole scene had an eerie,surreal quality, like when you’re on vacation in another city and Jeopardy comes on at 7:00 instead of 7:30."

Even though these example supposedly come from students, I recognize at least one from an old column in National Lampoon called "From the Slushpile."  The column appeared maybe 4 times a year and was written by an anonymous editor of a publishing house who pulled out the worst examples of writing from rejected manuscripts.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 08:55:14 AM »

I have several copies of this list in my four inch thick "Humor File" at school.  Each one seems to have a few on it the others don't - such as:

"He knew he would be hunted down like a dog - in some bizarre place where they actually hunt dogs."

"Her hair glistened in the rain like nose hair after a sneeze."

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 01:29:48 PM »

These may not be new, but there are a few here I hadn't seen before. Thanks! I love this kind of stuff.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
ChaosTheory

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 08:31:27 PM »

The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn't.

I love that one, it's like some kid just discovered Vonnegut and wants SO BADLY to write like him!

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Cthulhu

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 04:31:00 AM »

Those are actually really good, if they were writing them to make people laugh.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »

It hurt the way your tongue hurts after you accidentally staple it to the wall.

Well, we've all been there !!!   Question

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 10:49:56 AM »

some guy on NPR years ago had a ton of them. One I remember: how brave a bright red backside?
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Bad Writing At Its Best « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.