Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:27:42 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  'Double Dip'? Or Did the 'Great Recession' Really Never End? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 'Double Dip'? Or Did the 'Great Recession' Really Never End?  (Read 14529 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 12:04:31 PM »

AH: but unless and until you achieve this with the public, any attempt by gov't to apply the same principle will be met with much sustained kicking and screaming and protests - by both the public AND the opposition parties - on the scale of 'lose the next election'.   Canadian politics is rife with this.    Lookingup
Question  "AH"?  Are you referring to me?

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 03:58:34 PM »

AH: but unless and until you achieve this with the public, any attempt by gov't to apply the same principle will be met with much sustained kicking and screaming and protests - by both the public AND the opposition parties - on the scale of 'lose the next election'.   Canadian politics is rife with this.    Lookingup

That was not my intention: I merely meant to say "Ah" as I would if speaking aloud rather than typing.  I'll watch that in future.  Sorry for causing confusion.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 07:22:39 PM »

a group of academic economists

Which makes just about every word after that completely and totally irrelevant here in the real world.

Sorry, but having been a part of academia for many years, I find academics tiresome and pretty much wrong about almost everything out of their mouths.

Debate about theoretical definitions of double dip, or if we are even really in a recession, are academic and do nothing for people trying to put food on their tables.

The big elephant in the room is debt.  I think convincing people to stop wanting 'stuff' (phones, cars, houses, whatever) that they cannot afford and to live within their means is a much more important endeavor than academic discussions.

And yes, that should apply to the nation's government as well.  The real world is proving once again that Keynes was an idiot.

See, this is what I've been saying for three years now. Asking people to spend money to stimulate the economy is all well and good except when people don't have any money to spend on luxuries (exactly the sort of thing they want you to buy) or they don't have a job with which to earn money. No one likes going into debt, after all.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 09:20:44 PM »

That was not my intention: I merely meant to say "Ah" as I would if speaking aloud rather than typing.  I'll watch that in future.  Sorry for causing confusion.
You're good, I'm not "AH" but, often "AHD"... You've nothing to watch, I talk-type allah time.  BounceGiggle  Smile Wink

Nukie 2

I did it all for the...

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2010, 12:32:06 AM »

Robert Hall has an idea of what one looks like but no precise definition. He's chairman of the National Bureau of Economic Research, a group of academic economists that officially declares the starts and ends of recessions.

They have had members from all over the political spectrum like Milton Freedman and Paul Krugman. But as a student, I know it is important to know an organizations political bias, but this group, academically they may be more balanced in their definitions and research. Then again I don't how much influence the chair person has over the organization.

Economics is more political than most people would think, everyone has their own beliefs as to how resources should be distributed, so it's important to know the source of the research.

And then as stated earlier theres the whole academic vs. other economists.

Watch Nukie on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wab1Y713tN0
"Like" International Fans of the Movie Nukie and Sias Odendaal on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Fans-of-the-Movie-Nukie-and-Sias-Odendaal/135820159771783
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2010, 12:30:55 PM »

Robert Hall has an idea of what one looks like but no precise definition. He's chairman of the National Bureau of Economic Research, a group of academic economists that officially declares the starts and ends of recessions.

They have had members from all over the political spectrum like Milton Freedman and Paul Krugman. But as a student, I know it is important to know an organizations political bias, but this group, academically they may be more balanced in their definitions and research. Then again I don't how much influence the chair person has over the organization.

Economics is more political than most people would think, everyone has their own beliefs as to how resources should be distributed, so it's important to know the source of the research.

And then as stated earlier theres the whole academic vs. other economists.
Let me clarify, you are NOT quoting "Allhallowsday" but the article I've linked.  Bluesad

Nukie 2

I did it all for the...

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2010, 02:04:05 PM »

Yep I'm quoting the article...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Fans-of-the-Movie-Nukie-and-Sias-Odendaal/135820159771783
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2010, 11:44:16 PM »

Here, I'm quoting you, but note how

Nukie 2

I did it all for the...

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2010, 11:46:59 AM »

Here, I'm quoting you, but note how
Like this, right?

Nukie 2

I did it all for the...

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2010, 12:35:59 PM »

In my opinion, I think what could help at this time to help create more jobs is if the government gave firms a tax-break for hiring up to a certain amount of positions that would out-set any loss these firms would receive. This of course being a temporary measure. Maybe this had already been done, but I don't know to what extent.

Also I think the tax-break on buying homes should be renewed until national income is up.

End the extra taxes on cigarettes, they're too regressive.

Now isn't a time to raise taxes as we're recovering, though in an uneven manner. There's still too many people unemployed, and if the government were to hire people right now, and say we get back to pre-recession levels then we might end up with too much waste and inefficiencies because it's harder for government to keep costs low. Also it's possible that raising more taxes will lead to more people being out of work. Firms need the money that could be wasted on too much government spending to invest in domestic production.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2010, 10:06:23 PM »

Lookingup

Nukie 2

I did it all for the...

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2010, 07:28:22 AM »

From article:
"Robert Hall has an idea of what one looks like but no precise definition. He's chairman of the National Bureau of Economic Research, a group of academic economists that officially declares the starts and ends of recessions."

or
Quote from:  article

Okay, got it.

Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  'Double Dip'? Or Did the 'Great Recession' Really Never End? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.