Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:07:18 PM
713365 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Trailer for Live Action Space Battleship Yamato « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trailer for Live Action Space Battleship Yamato  (Read 4999 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: June 29, 2010, 08:02:52 AM »

Looks cool to me and I've never seen the Anime.

Small | Large

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 06:57:11 AM »

Interesting, and I had a new series "Battlestar Galactica" feel from some of the battle scenes.  I do hope that they preserve the flavor of the original anime; at least the trailer appears that they are keeping the characters the same.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 07:33:26 AM »

I was a huge fan of the Anime, which aired in the U.S. under the title "Starblazers."  I can't WAIT to see this!  This . . . is . . . so . . .  COOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
dean

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 08:44:50 AM »

The world needs more Sci Fi U-boats.  I'm glad this movie is taking up the cause.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Jim H

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 01:01:35 AM »

I wouldn't get your hopes up.  At least, not too high.  My previous experience tells me Japanese directors have mostly forgotten how to make entertaining and fast-paced genre films like this.  Some of you may have seen the director of this one's earlier effort, the decidedly mediocre Returner.  Trailer looks OK though, and I actually think is one of the more interesting anime-to-live action projects I've seen. 
dean

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 07:41:49 AM »

I wouldn't get your hopes up.  At least, not too high.  My previous experience tells me Japanese directors have mostly forgotten how to make entertaining and fast-paced genre films like this.  Some of you may have seen the director of this one's earlier effort, the decidedly mediocre Returner.  Trailer looks OK though, and I actually think is one of the more interesting anime-to-live action projects I've seen. 

You know I actually didn't mind the Returner, but that's just me I suppose.  The Japanese seem to have a knack for making movies like this that seem A-grade, but are structured very B-grade, which I appreciate, I suppose a B+ grade.  Effects of an A-grade, but with this odd visual style that makes it seem cheaper than it is.

Anyways, it looks like fun!

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 05:42:48 PM »

I'll see the live action version, if only because I have such fond memories of the anime series, which I saw on TV. But, I must admit, the trailer leaves me cold. No it leaves me frozen. I just hope the villains in the live action are as memorable, in a good way, that they were in the anime series. Some great villains. (IMHO) Some of the best I've ever seen on TV.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 06:57:53 AM »

Looks like crazy fun to me - though I'm pretty good at setting myself up for disappointment  BounceGiggle  I'll have to check it out when it's available.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 08:05:33 AM »

I'll see the live action version, if only because I have such fond memories of the anime series, which I saw on TV. But, I must admit, the trailer leaves me cold. No it leaves me frozen. I just hope the villains in the live action are as memorable, in a good way, that they were in the anime series. Some great villains. (IMHO) Some of the best I've ever seen on TV.

Desslok!  He was charismatic, evil, but had a strange sense of honor that came into play at times.  It was also fun seeing his inner circle of officers slowly whittled by the failures to stop the Argo. 

The main bad guy from the Comet Empire (Prince Zordar) on the other hand, the hair on his forehead has always freaked me out.  Not only does he have a unibrow, but there is also a vertical line of hair from his hairline to the unibrow.   And the unibrow again connects to his head hair at each temple!

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Judge Death
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 03:21:18 AM »

So, will this ever be legally available to us poor gaijin in america?
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 08:32:03 AM »

Finally saw this, and it was pretty cool. Much of the style, story, score, etc. stayed surprisingly true to the anime. Gamilas and Iskandar were changed the most, becoming more alien, while the viewpoint stayed entirely on the Yamato and its crew. Events were condensed and rearranged to fit the whole story into a movie, but that worked well. There were some changes to the story that I think were made for dramatic reasons, adding some extra emotional baggage for Kodai (Wildstar), and making the Yamato's mission seem like more of a gamble or possibly a fraud intended to give people hope. We aren't shown what exactly is in the message from Iskandar, aside from engine schematics.

[SPOILER]
The ending is also somewhat reminiscent of Arrivederci Yamato, and probably rules out the possibility of a sequel. Unless they do the Godzilla thing and pretend certain events didn't happen. It is a Toho film, after all.
[/SPOILER]

Overall, a fast-paced, fun movie that I think fans of the anime will really enjoy. I couldn't take my eyes off it. As I understand it, they used some of the original voice talent from the anime for Desla, Stasha and Analyzer (IQ9), but that probably won't mean anything to fans of the English dub. Analyzer is probably the coolest surprise. Throughout most of the movie, he appears to be just a talking PDA that Kodai carries on his belt, but during the climactic shootout, we see that he has a robotic body resembling his anime appearance with a difference. Imagine IQ9 crossed with ED 209.

Visually stunning. All CGI, but it looks good, and it's well integrated. Since the Japanese aren't afraid to give a live-action film a bit of a cartoony feel, it works. I thought stylistically it felt similar to later Godzilla movies, such as Final Wars.

And they managed to condense events in a way that stacked coolness upon coolness - such as combining the emergency launch of the Yamato, the Ultra Menace Missile and the first test of the Wave Motion Gun into one kick-ass scene.
Small | Large

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 09:22:21 PM »

I KNEW this was going to happen!  I used to watch this under its STAR BLAZERS moniker.  I found it interesting how skinny everyone was (except the doctor, and Capt. Avatar).  No doubt Robotech will someday be turned into a live-action film someday.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 12:20:50 AM »

The more I see of this as it develops, the more I want to see the movie!!!

Like most of you who lived thru the 70's and the first Star Blazers' American TV run, I found myself captivated by it too. It was so different than the usual morning stuff, in that it had continuity and an ongoing story to boot. That alone made most of us sit up and take notice.

Among my fave episodes, is the one where the Gamalons had a huge "wave reflex" gun that shot a laser beam that bounced off ofseveral aligned mirrors to hit the Yamato.
If I remember right, the Yamato shot the Wave Motion Gun at the mirrors in a reverse calculation and it hit the base and destroyed the Reflex gun.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 12:36:37 PM »

I like that the Japanese film industry doesn't seem to do as much second-guessing and messing around when they adapt something like this. They set out to make a live-action Space Battleship Yamato, and that's what it is. A few changes, but nothing too drastic or unjustifiable, a few bits and pieces borrowed from later Yamato stories, but they worked. Overall, the audience was promised live-action Yamato, and that's what they got.

An American company doing the same thing would decide that in spite of it being good enough to cash in on the name, the original wouldn't fly with today's audiences, then they'd redo the whole thing to conform to whatever they consider hot at the moment.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Archivist

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 09:32:25 PM »

Oh my god!  That scene of firing the Wave Motion Gun and the Yamato launching was incredible!  My eyes actually teared up when I watched this.  The original music, the look of the characters and the ship itself, it is fantastic.  I sooooo have to see this.

I grew up when Star Blazers and Battle of the Planets were the big cartoons on TV.  The phrase, 'hurry Star Blazers, you have only xxx days to save the Earth!' is burned into my brain.  To have a live action film like this, which appears true to the anime, is going to give me conniptions.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Trailer for Live Action Space Battleship Yamato « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.