Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:46:37 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Grave of the Fireflies (1988) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Grave of the Fireflies (1988)  (Read 2747 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« on: July 04, 2011, 09:31:57 PM »

Produced by Studio Ghibli (they made Howl's Moving Castle, Ponyo, and Spirited Away), this film is based on the story of Nosaka Akiyuki and his childhood in Japan during and after World War II.  It's best described as a downer beginning, drowner middle, and downer ending.  Basically, a really sad and depressing, but good film.  For those of you who have seen it, what did you think of it?  As an anime fan, I have suprisingly enough have not seen it, so I would like to hear some thoughts on it from the people here.  I heard a lot, but I like hearing things from you guys.  What did you think of the film?

Small | Large

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
dean

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 10:43:49 PM »

I liked it, in so far as you can enjoy such a depressing film.  Well produced with some utterly terrible events depicted.  It's the most 'real' film from Studio Ghibli that I've seen, where the rest were all fantastical.  If you don't feel sad watching this, you have no heart.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
akiratubo

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 11:56:24 PM »

This is one of the saddest things I've ever seen.  The great thing about it is that it isn't carefully designed to manipulate the audience, it just presents its situations bald faced, which is far more effective.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
JayJayM12
Regulary relieves himself on hospitality...
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 05:50:35 PM »

I thought it was very good - and, this is coming from someone who is NOT a fan of anime (my only experiences lie in Spirited Away and, if you can count it - Speed Racer).  But, I had heard so many good things about it, that I had to give it a shot.  I was not disappointed.  Like everyone said, it is depressing to be sure, but a very good, moving film...

Check out my movie reviews and articles at:  www.cinedump.com<br /><br />Or, don\\\'t check them out - see if I care.  You\\\'re not my real mom anyway.  Unless, you are.  In which case, whatever, I\\\'ll do what I want.  It\\\'s my hot body.  Y\\\'all don\\\'t know me.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 05:09:57 PM »

This is on my list of my favorite films.  It is a 90 minute character study of a young boy and his even younger sister who are orphaned by the firebombing of Tokyo during WWII, and it is absolutely heartbreaking.  There is nothing about this film that would prevent it from being made as a live action, but I think making it as an animated feature gave them full control over the characters. 

I made the mistake of showing this to my wife when she was pregnant.  She cried and cried, and still gets misty-eyed if I mention it now.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 05:43:39 PM »

Pretty sad and well-made.  I enjoyed it quite a bit; Barefoot Gen is another movie to check out with a similar theme.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 02:50:50 AM »

One of my favourite movies as well.  I've actually recently convinced several friends who are all Ghibli fans to watch it on a double feature with My Neighbour Totoro with me.  This was originally released as a double bill, in Japan, with Totoro, and that's why neither film did very well in theatres.  The point is to watch Grave of the Fireflies first and then watch Totoro second to cheer you up!

But still, this is one of the few movies I've ever cried at.  The animation is well done, the voices (on both the original and dub) are great, and the story is amazing.  Definitely a masterpiece.  Thumbup
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 10:25:15 PM »

The point is to watch Grave of the Fireflies first and then watch Totoro second to cheer you up!

Yeah but when It was shown in theaters they showed Totoro first and then Grave of the Fireflies. Most people left after Totoro because of how sad this one is.

I haven't seen this one yet, but a friend of mine keeps telling me its really great.

Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 04:49:26 PM »

This is on my list of my favorite films.  It is a 90 minute character study of a young boy and his even younger sister who are orphaned by the firebombing of Tokyo during WWII, and it is absolutely heartbreaking.  There is nothing about this film that would prevent it from being made as a live action, but I think making it as an animated feature gave them full control over the characters. 

I made the mistake of showing this to my wife when she was pregnant.  She cried and cried, and still gets misty-eyed if I mention it now.

They actually did make a live action version of it, although they told it from the point of view of the aunt, for some reason (the one who was presented as a villain in the anime). Its available on youtube.

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
Archivist

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 03:23:17 AM »

This is one Studio Ghibli movie that I have yet to watch, and I have a lot of doubts about watching it.  I tend to like uplifting movies, and even years ago when I got the DVD, I had read that it is one of the saddest movies ever made.

When I watched the first few minutes, I got an inkling of how things were going to pan out, and I chickened out.

I've been to the Studio Ghibli museum in Japan (which I highly, highly recommend to any Miyazaki or anime fan) but I still can't bring myself to watch this movie.  Everyone's comments here are steering me away from it, too.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Grave of the Fireflies (1988) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.