Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:27:34 PM
714349 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Pelican Brief (1993) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Pelican Brief (1993)  (Read 2113 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: October 05, 2010, 12:41:09 PM »

This is a clear case of a movie that benefits from a longer (2 1/2 hours) running time. It takes it from being a run of the mill conspiracy yarn to something more. It's not as good as, say, "the Gift" , but it's better than alot of these things. The popularity of political thillers is such that they have become alot more authentic and realistic and if this were made now it would probably look and feel alot different (in no small part because of the advent of EMAIL and THE INTERNET but not only because of this), but it is still good. Julia Roberts and Denzel Washington look great. What can you say about them? They are huge stars in their prime here.

Two supreme court justices are killed. Bright law student Darby Shaw (Julia Roberts) comes up with a theory as to who did it and why. Intriqued, her professor (and boyfriend) (not Denzel Washington) forwards it to some people at the FBI. Unfortunately for her and him, the theory is on target and they are on the run for the rest of the movie.

If this movie were remade today it would be about 30 seconds long: Darby would finish typing her theory out and post it online and that would be that.

Julia Roberts kind of over does the waifyness of the character but she still does a good job. Denzel is curiously laid back considering he is dodging asassins bullets and so forth. It sounds like this thing is so outdated it's not worth watcing but that's not the case. It's a good way to kill an evening and the complex plot doesn't get to confusing or plot holey.

4/5 you had probably seen this already but I hadn't.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 01:12:11 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 01:44:44 PM »

It was a decent film, I thought. You know, there was a time when Julia Roberts did try to do films other than sappy romantic comedies, like Sleeping With the Enemy, Erin Brokovich, or the aforementioned The Pelican Brief. Nowadays all you seem to get out of her is Eat Pray Love.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 02:09:21 PM »

Closer was pretty ballsy
ChocolateChipCharlie
Bad Movie Lover

Oh my my, my Mitchell...

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 02:16:12 PM »

This is another of those movies I have a tendency to watch whenever I'm flipping channels and see that it's on.  Not sure why.
nilbog
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 06:37:43 PM »

Good movie. I watched it a few months after having read the book - I felt that it did the book justice.

craptasticmovies.com

"Nilbog! It's Goblin Spelt Backwards!"
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 09:22:00 AM »

Boy, I hate this film so much... the action scenes are laughable (specially the foot chase in the subterranian parking lot), and the rest is plain boring. Also, couldn't relate either to Roberts or Washington's characters, they move around like robots.

I may change my mind if I ever watch it again, because I do like political thrillers, but I son't think I'm doing it anytime soon. And as much as Grisham-bashing was on at the time of its release, I'd say the blame here relies on Alan Pakula. I've seen many of his movies, and they all have this boring quality that permeates through them. Only in "The Parallax view" that doesn't happen, and that's why is his best film.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Pelican Brief (1993) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.