Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:07:18 AM
713386 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Musical Failures « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Musical Failures  (Read 15485 times)
voltron
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 01, 2010, 07:54:57 AM »

List any bands you can think of that have let you down with a poor album.

Sepultura's Chaos A.D.

The reason I stopped listening to Sepultura. A precursor to the slop that was Roots.

Killing Joke  - Outside the gate

Awful album by a usually great band. Supposed to be a Jaz Coleman solo album, but they slapped the Killing Joke name on it. Jaz raps in one song. Ugh.

Saxon - Rock The Nations

Saxon goes for a more commercial party metal sound. One song sounds almost exactly like "Hot For Teacher". You know you're in for trouble when Elton John makes an appearence on a metal album. Edit: I bought this on cassette for a friend who's a big Saxon fan. We both listened to it and groaned about how bad it was. My friend was like "I'm embarassed that I own this."

Celtic Frost - Cold Lake

The Frosts infamous glam metal album. Quite the change from their black/death/doom hybrid.

Carcass - Swansong

I'm a HUGE fan of these guys earlier works, but here they go for a death 'n roll sound. It's not the change in direction I minded so much, I just thought the songs were weak and uninspired.

Alice In Chains - Alice In Chains

Definately AIC's worst album. When compared to their other works, this album is just plain banal. No hooks to be found on this one.
So can you guys and gals think of any others?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 09:43:18 AM by voltron » Logged

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 08:54:53 AM »

good topic...I can think of a few.

Big Dipper - Slam! - their first 3 albums are great, then they signed to a major label and released this which is like a watered down version of themselves. also I had to buy the CD on import and it cost me £30 , so I was not happy.

Metallica - Load - probably not their worst considering what came after, but a definite fall off after Black Album (although I know a lot of Metallica fans thought the black album was a let down)

Nas - I Am... - How did he make one of the best rap albums of all time (Illmatic), then 5 years later make one of the worst. I cannot listen to one track on this album without cringing

Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness - This might not be a popular choice but I thought this had none of what made Siamese Dream such a great album despite being very similar, style-wise. It just sounds lifeless and flat to me. Maybe it's the production. I revisited it recently and thought the same thing....

« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 08:56:49 AM by DCA » Logged

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
voltron

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 09:09:27 AM »

.Metallica - Load - probably not their worst considering what came after, but a definite fall off after Black Album (although I know a lot of Metallica fans thought the black album was a let down)

I always thought The Black Album was the beginning of the end for Metallica. Thank god I didn't buy it. But you know what? I thought Reload was decent. At least they were trying to do something different and I think it's a step up from Load, but still, compared to their classics, it's still pretty weak.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 09:12:58 AM by voltron » Logged

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
ChaosTheory

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 11:01:41 AM »

.Metallica - Load - probably not their worst considering what came after, but a definite fall off after Black Album (although I know a lot of Metallica fans thought the black album was a let down)

I always thought The Black Album was the beginning of the end for Metallica. Thank god I didn't buy it. But you know what? I thought Reload was decent. At least they were trying to do something different and I think it's a step up from Load, but still, compared to their classics, it's still pretty weak.

For me it was Garage Inc.  Black Album was probably the turning point and Load & Reload were mostly filler but at least there were some bright spots where they showed some of their original fire.  But they lost me for good with that Bob Seger cover.

Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth.  Just so......lukewarm.

Aerosmith - Nine Lives.  This was the point where I realized that these were a bunch of old guys more interested in trying to still look cool and relevant, than in making music (and yeah, Get A Grip really should have tipped me off to that, but hey, I was an adolescent at the time)

Offspring - Conspiracy of One.  Wasn't fun, wasn't angry, wasn't energetic at all.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 02:10:00 PM »

I think I only heard Re-Load once, may have to give it another go

talking of your picks, I've heard all Carcass's albums and I agree that one is completely different to their earlier ones. sounded like maybe they were trying to crack America and be a big rock group with that album. (also I only have Revelations by Killing joke, that's the only one I've heard. I think it's pretty good)

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 03:04:41 PM »

List any bands you can think of that have let you down with a poor album.

Sepultura's Chaos A.D.

The reason I stopped listening to Sepultura. A precursor to the slop that was Roots.

Killing Joke  - Outside the gate

Awful album by a usually great band. Supposed to be a Jaz Coleman solo album, but they slapped the Killing Joke name on it. Jaz raps in one song. Ugh.

Saxon - Rock The Nations

Saxon goes for a more commercial party metal sound. One song sounds almost exactly like "Hot For Teacher". You know you're in for trouble when Elton John makes an appearence on a metal album. Edit: I bought this on cassette for a friend who's a big Saxon fan. We both listened to it and groaned about how bad it was. My friend was like "I'm embarassed that I own this."

Celtic Frost - Cold Lake

The Frosts infamous glam metal album. Quite the change from their black/death/doom hybrid.

Carcass - Swansong

I'm a HUGE fan of these guys earlier works, but here they go for a death 'n roll sound. It's not the change in direction I minded so much, I just thought the songs were weak and uninspired.

Alice In Chains - Alice In Chains

Definately AIC's worst album. When compared to their other works, this album is just plain banal. No hooks to be found on this one.
So can you guys and gals think of any others?

I respectfully disagree with you on Alice in Chains. I thought it was a one of their better albums. I don't think there's an album they made that I didn't like. Although nothing beats Dirt in my humble opinion.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 08:45:05 PM »

Polka Party- by "Weird Al" Yankovic.  Weird Al emerged in '83 with a self-titled album, featuring 6 parodies and 6 non-parody comedy songs.  Had albums emerge in '84, '85, and was pretty much forced to do one in '86.  It showed.  His label felt he should 'Strike while the iron was hot", so to speak, as 'Novelty' musicians usually have short-lived careers.  The pop music scene in '86 was not lending itself well to make good "Parody" music, and the songwriting on this album didn't live up to expectations, and sales lagged.  Took a brief hiatus, re-emerged a few years later.  While I liked certain songs off the album, it didn't meet my personal expectations as a fan.

I respectfully disagree with you on Alice in Chains. I thought it was a one of their better albums. I don't think there's an album they made that I didn't like. Although nothing beats Dirt in my humble opinion.
[/quote]
I very much agree with this.  All of AIC's output is quite good, Dirt being the best, but no bad album.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 09:34:03 PM »

Actually, I rather liked Polka Party.  A couple of his "Al-bums" (ugh) that weren't that good were probably Alpalooza and Bad Hair Day (though I love Amish Paradise).  His best?  Probably Off The Deep End.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 11:38:10 PM »

These were not well received critically, or were financially unsatisfactory to label bosses, and compared to the enormity of the acts, were perceived as failures, perhaps both artistically and financially ("successful" usually meaning topping the enormous selling record preceeding it).  These are all records I like and mostly own:  

LED ZEPPELIN Presence  ROBERT PLANT's "car accident" album.    PAUL McCARTNEY and WINGS Back To The Egg

PAUL's artistic low point?  I had this on vinyl, found it remarkably thin and fragmented, and liked it nonetheless.  
Small | Large
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42IPlbC9H_Q
Small | Large

DAVID BOWIE Low  Now, well regarded, but it sure found its way into the bargain bin quick back in 1978... If BOWIE has a masterpiece, this is it.  
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 12:13:53 AM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 09:30:03 AM »

I've been an Elvis Costello fan since the 80's. This was easily the worst album he ever did with The Attractions. He has apologized several times. I think the band weren't getting along very well at all by this point.

Okay, I was big on Floyd when this came out, and I defy anyone to defend it as a good album. First of all, forget Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking, this is REALLY Roger Water's first solo album. Dismal, and conceptually just themes explored in The Wall drawn out ad nauseum. It was as if Roger Waters said "I talked about how my daddy was killed in WWII all those years ago and how war is bad at length on The Wall, now I'm really going to bore the hell out of everyone with it." He was so full of himself at that time that I fully believe he expected it to be a critical success and to have everyone fawn over him as being the real creative genius of Pink Floyd. I think I may remember bits of one song from that album, but that's about it. Rubbish.

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 07:55:34 PM »

These were not well received critically, or were financially unsatisfactory to label bosses, and compared to the enormity of the acts, were perceived as failures, perhaps both artistically and financially ("successful" usually meaning topping the enormous selling record preceeding it).  These are all records I like and mostly own:  

LED ZEPPELIN Presence  ROBERT PLANT's "car accident" album.  

I like Presence. the one thing is it seems very stripped down. every track is like guitar/bass/drums/vocals whereas on earlier albums they seemed to have much more varied production and instruments going on. maybe there's a harmonica in one track I think, but not much else

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 10:48:49 PM »

These were not well received critically, or were financially unsatisfactory to label bosses, and compared to the enormity of the acts, were perceived as failures, perhaps both artistically and financially ("successful" usually meaning topping the enormous selling record preceeding it).  These are all records I like and mostly own: LED ZEPPELIN Presence  ROBERT PLANT's "car accident" album. 

I like Presence. the one thing is it seems very stripped down. every track is like guitar/bass/drums/vocals whereas on earlier albums they seemed to have much more varied production and instruments going on. maybe there's a harmonica in one track I think, but not much else
The "stripped down" production you recognize is because the record was hurried onto the market, with fear the red-hot LED ZEPPELIN would grow cold and not sell millions of records if there was a delay, which there was due to ROBERT PLANT's serious injuries in a "car accident".  The production of this record was hurried, but, as a lifelong LED ZEP fan, I also really like Presence.  In fact, it's one of my favorite LED ZEP records.

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
voltron

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 10:21:23 AM »

Okay, I was big on Floyd when this came out, and I defy anyone to defend it as a good album. First of all, forget Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking, this is REALLY Roger Water's first solo album. Dismal, and conceptually just themes explored in The Wall drawn out ad nauseum. It was as if Roger Waters said "I talked about how my daddy was killed in WWII all those years ago and how war is bad at length on The Wall, now I'm really going to bore the hell out of everyone with it." He was so full of himself at that time that I fully believe he expected it to be a critical success and to have everyone fawn over him as being the real creative genius of Pink Floyd. I think I may remember bits of one song from that album, but that's about it. Rubbish.

Oh no man, NO!!!! This is my second favorite Floyd album after Animals. I actually like it a lot more then The Wall. I find it to be insanely depressing and more emotinal than The Wall. I guess that's why the album flopped - a follow up to a smash hit of an album (which kinda bored me, to be honest).

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 10:23:46 AM »

That stupid Waka Waka song by Shakira and the SA group Freshlyground. Yikes: Epic fail.  Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 10:48:40 AM »

Oh no man, NO!!!! This is my second favorite Floyd album after Animals. I actually like it a lot more then The Wall. I find it to be insanely depressing and more emotinal than The Wall. I guess that's why the album flopped - a follow up to a smash hit of an album (which kinda bored me, to be honest).

I wasn't a big fan of The Wall either. Probably because it was too dominated by Roger Waters and his whining and pretentious political posturing. It did have a few good songs, mainly the ones Gilmore had a heavier hand in. I saw Roger Waters live for the Radio KAOS tour and was bored stiff except when he was performing Floyd stuff. I do love Animals. That was the last album that was at least somewhat collaborative.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Musical Failures « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.