Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:57:44 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The popularity of Twilight explained « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Author Topic: The popularity of Twilight explained  (Read 16470 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 02, 2010, 10:03:04 AM »

Holy crap, I get it now!  This movie explains everything!

Small | Large

Or you can read the article the movie's based on: http://theoatmeal.com/story/twilight

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 10:39:47 AM »

Thumbup

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 11:07:49 AM »

Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup  Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup  Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup  Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup  Cheers

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 12:33:34 PM »

Unbelievably outstanding. That's all I can say. I've never read nor ever will read any of the books, and I regret I sat through the first Twilight movie, and it makes perfect sense. The empty shell aspect is exactly the key to what makes this annoying (annoying is not nearly strong enough of a word for it) phenomenon work. I can stomache the True Blood stuff, at least it's for grown-ups. Thanks for posting that.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 12:37:18 PM »

Excellent  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 01:08:09 PM »

All I can see is a white box with a exclamation mark in it.
I've been getting it where the adds should be on this site too.

Whats wrong with my computer? Question

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Jim H

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 01:18:46 PM »

Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured.  For those who can't see the video, it basically states Twilight pulls a Half-Life - having a main character devoid of any personality or description so that anyone can sink into the role.  And she has a perfect boyfriend who listens to her every whim.  In other words, pr0n for women.

What the video fails to clarify is what differentiates Twilight from seventy billion romance novels, of which I suspect many are quite similar.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 01:40:14 PM by Jim H » Logged
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 02:10:49 PM »

All I can see is a white box with a exclamation mark in it.
I've been getting it where the adds should be on this site too.

Whats wrong with my computer? Question

Had the same thing, just click on the link for the article. I'm sure the video is outstanding, but the article is outstanding as well, and it's pretty much the same thing, right?

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Paquita

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 10:35:06 PM »

If something terrible happens and I somehow get sucked into this Twilight garbage and like it, please don't hate me.  I've resisted it so far, despite several attempts to turn me, but I fear I'm wearing down.

I hope there's not some lame reason for loving Harry Potter.
BTM

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 12:08:54 AM »

I'd add another thing to the article... in the later books, this one-dimensional Bella gets not one but TWO improbably hot looking guys fighting over her!  Wow, what female wouldn't dream of that?

Good thing there's only ONE more movie left to be made, then maybe I can stop hearing about this crap.

For another hysterical article on Twilight, check out Cracked's take on it... http://www.cracked.com/funny-36-twilight/
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 08:09:34 PM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Jim H

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 04:10:05 AM »

No, two movies.  They're splitting Breaking Dawn in half.   Lookingup
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 06:26:35 AM »

For another hysterical article on Twilight, check out Cracked's take on it... http://www.cracked.com/funny-36-twilight/

Gawd, it sounds like Beverly Hills 90210  BounceGiggle

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2010, 09:04:29 AM »

Sorry, Paquita, but there is: J.K. Rowling sold her soul to the devil.  TongueOut

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Paquita

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 09:31:01 AM »

Sorry, Paquita, but there is: J.K. Rowling sold her soul to the devil.  TongueOut

I'm OK with that.  It's kind of a cool reason.
ChaosTheory

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2010, 10:19:21 AM »

I'd add another thing to the article... in the later books, this one-dimensional Bella gets not one but TWO improbably hot looking guys fighting over her!  Wow, what female wouldn't dream of that?

It's not just Edward and Jacob either; EVERY DAMN BOY SHE COMES INTO CONTACT WITH wants to get with her.  I read and barely finished the first book (because I simply wanted to see what the big deal was, and b/c I didn't feel right criticizing something I didn't have any firsthand knowledge of) and, well, it's a mess.  The movie is correct about Bella being a blank slate that the reader can project herself onto.  Her looks are never described, the only character development we're given at all is that she's clumsy and likes to cook.  But every male in Forks practically throws himself at her - except Edward at first, who is in fact a rude dismissive jerk to her for the first third of the book and a possessive jealous jerk for the next two-thirds.

I don't mind the projection aspect of it: Many romance stories feature bland heroines so the reader can live vicariously, though I'd be hard-pressed to find a Mary Sue type quite as empty as Bella manages to be.  And it's clear this is a middle-aged woman who wants to retcon her own high school experience into what her ideal high school experience (and I suppose, the ideal of many girls) would be:  boys tripping all over themselves for you, without you having to do anything at all to warrant their attention. 
OK, fair enough.  I admit, there's been times when I wanted to live a fictional romantic character's life; when I was 14 I read Jane Eyre and fell head-over-heels for Rochester.  At 19 I watched Branagh's version of Much Ado About Nothing and bemoaned my lot that no real life guy could be as awesome as Benedick.  I found myself projecting onto Carrie from Sex & the City on occasion (although it was that sweet rent-controlled NYC apartment, and not any of the guys, that I really wanted)  So I can kind of understand where these fans are coming from. 
But here's the big problem for me:  of all the boys in the story, Edward is by far the Worst.  He has no redeeming qualities beyond his looks; in fact he displays all the textbook signs of an abuser.  He listens to her talk, yes, but he tends to dismiss her opinion as often as not; he witholds attention (and sex) at his convenience; he wants her to lie to and cut herself off from her father (b/c Edward's the only person who's allowed to be protective of her!) he gets p**sy when she spends time with her other friends; he SNEAKS INTO HER HOUSE AT NIGHT AND STARES AT HER WHILE SHE'S SLEEPING.  She becomes his doormat, even to the point where she wants to DROP OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL  so she can MARRY HIM AND HAVE HIS MUTANT BABY.  And this is all presented to impressional adolescents as the Ultimate Romantic Ideal. 
And I haven't even brought up the messed up things the author does to Jacob's character in the later books.  Fad or not, Stephanie Meyer is an appalling person.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The popularity of Twilight explained « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.