Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:09:12 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The popularity of Twilight explained « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: The popularity of Twilight explained  (Read 16515 times)
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2010, 11:43:00 AM »

Yeah...it seems I'm one of the few people with ovaries who didn't get sucked into this. I tried reading one of the books just to see what all the fuss was about, and what little I read (before I was unable to continue due to uncontrollable laughter and revulsion) stank of self-insert Mary Sue fan-fiction. Yeah, sorry, but if you take away all the "pretty" words (some of those adjectives were just misused resulting in some very odd mental images) what you have is an emotionally abusive pedophile trying to control a manipulative little b***h.

At least Meyer's bored of vampires now, so there'll be no more new Twilight books. I'm just concerned about whatever poor monster or subject she decides to write about next since the woman demonstrates all the writing ability of a 14 year-old girl with a thesaurus.
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2010, 08:10:11 PM »

No, two movies.  They're splitting Breaking Dawn in half.   Lookingup

(yells several really loud swear words)

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Kthulhu
New Visitor

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2010, 08:20:15 AM »

Two days ago I had to sit through the latest one. It puts a Seagal movie to shame (everybody starts breaking necks). One cannot hope to explain the stupidity contained in that movie (and the entire series including of course the books). And things like that are considered as literature. Hopefully like 10-something years later this will be considered as a bad movie and then everybody will be wieving it for laughs.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2010, 07:51:48 PM »

I've reviewed Twilight and New Moon on my blog.  Honestly, some of the most fun reviews for me to do because my wife and her buddies LOVE this series and it was a pleasure to bash it.  I however, as stated in other threads, have given up on it.  The plot line, although easy to trash for it's shallow idiocy, is just torturous to get through.  None of the characters are even remotely likeable.  And really, there is no plot line to follow.  Edward (as ChaosTheory brilliantly covered already) is a prick and Jacob is a lost puppy dog who simply can't take "no" for an answer. Bella, as the video states, is in fact a Lego block which make me give a sh!t less about her.  She picks a prick over a nice guy so why should any viewer or reader for that matter give a crap about her well being.  Since it is her story, that seems counterproductive plot wise.

I doubt I will be partaking in the last two stories because I just don't care.  If I do it will be for review purposes only and I will have to get hammered before watching.  Time for shameless self promotion, here are the links to the first two film reviews I did;
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/2009/10/plot-as-loving-husband-i-find-myself.html
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/2009/11/hungry-like-shapeshifter.html
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 08:10:07 PM by The DarkSider » Logged

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2010, 10:10:34 PM »

Hey, DS...I read your reviews.

Very funny, especially with Tool's Schism playing while I read the first one.

Good Job.   Thumbup

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
BTM

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2010, 01:16:56 AM »

Bella, as the video states, is in fact a Lego block which make me give a sh!t less about her.  She picks a prick over a nice guy so why should any viewer or reader for that matter give a crap about her well being.  Since it is her story, that seems counterproductive plot wise.

I like how the article on Cracked puts it, basically they say, "Halfway through, Stephenie Meyer realizes that Jacob Black is far cooler than Edward and performs a quick character assassination by having him mouth-rape her.

I doubt I will be partaking in the last two stories because I just don't care.  If I do it will be for review purposes only and I will have to get hammered before watching.  Time for shameless self promotion, here are the links to the first two film reviews I did;
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/2009/10/plot-as-loving-husband-i-find-myself.html
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/2009/11/hungry-like-shapeshifter.html

So lets see...we have a introverted female lead that is not only bipolar and poor in choosing boyfriends, she's also a raving schizophrenic. Christ, I'm so glad teenage girls reading this are looking up to her, I really am.

AHAHAHA!!  Good one!

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2010, 06:17:34 AM »

Here's someone else who can't stand Twilight.

http://stoney321.livejournal.com/317176.html

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2010, 08:24:12 AM »

Thanx for the compliments guys.  Yeah, watching those films just confused the hell out of me as to why people find this story entertaining.  It literally comes down to;

Edward: "We shouldn't be together"
Bella: "But we should...I love you..."
Edward: "No we shouldn't, I love you but I'm leaving you."

Bella runs to Jacob

Jacob: "Bella, we should be together...I love you."
Bella: "I can't, I love Edward."
Jacob: "Well, why don't you love me."
Bella: "Because I love Edward..."

repeat 50x until a real problem arises and is vanquished in a rather silly two minute fashion

I will say too that Bella is a repulsive c*ck tease and the whole Cullen clan are c*ck blocks.  Every time Jacob is about to get some action, either she shuts him down or the Cullens arrive to stop it.  Side note on Edward, his character is even worse on film because of Robert Pattinson.  The guy can't act his way out of a bag and he is playing an obnoxious wooden a-hole.   I will say that at least Taylor Lautner can act.  Kristin Stewart can too as long as she is on screen with the right cast members.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 08:34:24 AM by The DarkSider » Logged

DarkSider's Realm

3mnkids

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2010, 09:16:55 AM »

Bella is a manipulative b***h. Even more so in Eclipse. Yes, I watched it.   TeddyR  I only wanted to see the wolves(they are kinda cool) and the vampires fight. unfortunately it took 90 painful minutes to get too and was over way to fast.  Soooo not worth it.

I cant understand the fascination with these characters. How can anyone like Bella? Edward is a total psycho stalker, and Jacob is a pathetic loser... In Jacobs defense Bella does lead him on but still... grow a pair!

I do like the Alice character   Smile

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2010, 09:32:35 AM »

Bella is a manipulative b***h. Even more so in Eclipse. Yes, I watched it.   TeddyR  I only wanted to see the wolves(they are kinda cool) and the vampires fight. unfortunately it took 90 painful minutes to get too and was over way to fast.  Soooo not worth it.

I cant understand the fascination with these characters. How can anyone like Bella? Edward is a total psycho stalker, and Jacob is a pathetic loser... In Jacobs defense Bella does lead him on but still... grow a pair!

I do like the Alice character   Smile

You saw Eclipse?  I have some questions then.  Would you say this is better or worse than the last two movies?  Was Dakota Fanning in it (I know she was in last movie) and if she was, was she any good?  I am a fan of hers and I am deeply disappointed that she ended up this series.  So much talent wasted.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
3mnkids

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2010, 09:56:37 AM »

Bella is a manipulative b***h. Even more so in Eclipse. Yes, I watched it.   TeddyR  I only wanted to see the wolves(they are kinda cool) and the vampires fight. unfortunately it took 90 painful minutes to get too and was over way to fast.  Soooo not worth it.

I do like the Alice character   Smile

You saw Eclipse?  I have some questions then.  Would you say this is better or worse than the last two movies?  Was Dakota Fanning in it (I know she was in last movie) and if she was, was she any good?  I am a fan of hers and I am deeply disappointed that she ended up this series.  So much talent wasted.

I did and im so ashamed   TeddyR  I would say this is by far the worst of the three. They could have shaved off 45 minutes by just eliminating some of the  repetitive dialogue between edward/bella/jacob..Its painful.

She is in it for a few minutes and I was not impressed. She only has a few lines but she delivers them like the rest of the cast.. flat.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2010, 11:24:25 AM »

Bella is a manipulative b***h. Even more so in Eclipse. Yes, I watched it.   TeddyR  I only wanted to see the wolves(they are kinda cool) and the vampires fight. unfortunately it took 90 painful minutes to get too and was over way to fast.  Soooo not worth it.

I do like the Alice character   Smile

You saw Eclipse?  I have some questions then.  Would you say this is better or worse than the last two movies?  Was Dakota Fanning in it (I know she was in last movie) and if she was, was she any good?  I am a fan of hers and I am deeply disappointed that she ended up this series.  So much talent wasted.

I did and im so ashamed   TeddyR  I would say this is by far the worst of the three. They could have shaved off 45 minutes by just eliminating some of the  repetitive dialogue between edward/bella/jacob..Its painful.

She is in it for a few minutes and I was not impressed. She only has a few lines but she delivers them like the rest of the cast.. flat.
Wow opening weekend no less too!   BounceGiggle

Ok heres my thing with the Volturi.  SPOILERS AHEAD (not that anyone will care here  TeddyR)

They had the potential to be such awesome antagonists in the series.   Lets face it, the book is weak plot wise as it is but at least a couple of good baddies could have save it right?  The Volturi are an ancient clan of governing vampires who will stop at nothing to kill those who break the ancient law.  Has plenty of potential right? Hell thats better than the three rogue laughable vampires they pass off as the bad guys in the first three who simply come off as high school punks.   

So anyhow, by the last book the mighty Volturi are about to come down and wreak havoc on everyone.  Oh yeah! Blood bath baby on both sides man!   When they arrive...both sides stare at each other...and stare...and stare...and eventually they kind of say "aw f*ck it"...AND WALK AWAY!!!  Seriously this is the most stupid f'n book every written!!! 

END SPOILERS

I'm going to say this whole film series will eventually sit comfortably in our bad movie film culture once it's popularity dies down.   It is layden with so much friggin' awfulness!  I would almost challenge anyone on this board to sit through it to see if you don't end up laughing hysterically by the end of it. 

DarkSider's Realm

3mnkids

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2010, 12:30:06 PM »

Continuing SPOILER****

The Volturi do something very similar in Eclipse. They are sent to Seattle because of killings and disappearances. They know its a newborn army doing it and actually witness them killing people and they just walk away. They show up after the wolves/cullens/newborn army fight and what do they do? They kill the only survivor of the newborn army, A young girl who is scared and didnt fight.  Lookingup 

Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2010, 08:21:03 PM »

You know what else is mildly disturbing, the underlying jailbait themes throughout the books.  Edward falls in love with Bella who is in her late teens.  Granted he was turned at around her age but he's like 100.  Jacob falls in love with Bella's daughter enough to mark her with a love stamp.  Creepy man...just f'n creepy.  Gawd, is anything right with these stories? 

DarkSider's Realm

Evollove
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2010, 08:39:44 PM »

yes it is pedophilia all the way!! even 20-year old guys find high school girls annoying

also, this was written by a mormon

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The popularity of Twilight explained « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.