Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:29:51 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The popularity of Twilight explained « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: The popularity of Twilight explained  (Read 16455 times)
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2010, 12:46:39 AM »

The guy can't act his way out of a bag and he is playing an obnoxious wooden a-hole. 
Well, it's at least more personality than the guy gets in the book. 
Skull
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2010, 11:26:06 AM »

Why is Twilight popular?

Because goth chicks are getting tired of Edward Scissor Hands and Nightmare Before Christmas.

Personally, I think some of the Harry Potter readers are getting older and looking for mature material, its not actually bad and it seems that Twilight has came in on the right time. (hehe... I actually think many Goosebump fans started reading Harry Potter for the very same reason)

I do sense the annoyance by some of the people on the message boards and I think its mostly Hollywoods fault then Twilight; because Hollywood is too busy producing "remakes" and films focused to 13-year-olds (Since PG-13 is the new rated R and rated R versions of the films is called "unrated" and sold in walmart.)

Would I ever watch this movie or read the books... hehe... No! 

lol... funny video!!!

wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2010, 04:19:23 PM »

This is raunchy but would make for such a better movie. If your a guy that is.
Small | Large

Smells like popcorn and shame
Skull
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2010, 08:40:27 PM »

@ wyckednick ~ Actually there is a movie already...

Small | Large

PS: One of the better vampire stories that I have seen since Fright Night :)
feiyen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2010, 03:44:28 AM »

Well the popularity may actually take a sharp dive if and when that forth movie comes out. As these reviews from Amazon prove so
SPOILERS AHEAD (not that anyone cares)
http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Dawn-Twilight-Stephenie-Meyer/dp/0316067938/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278664485&sr=8-3 scroll alllll the waaayyy to the bottom to customer reviews and read the 3 reviews. , and trust me, there lengthy. I personally liked the third one. I have to say after reading it my only reason to watch this last movie is for the birth part. Sounds gory, fun!

Apparently S.Meyer must have gotten tired of this series as this one fan quotes "Why didn't you just sell a book that just says, "To all my fans: F%*# YOU."
also liked :"I was ready to drive to Arizona, find Stephenie Meyer's house, and burn it down. "

Me and my partners comics
http://www.eyeshock.com
Skull
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2010, 06:46:32 AM »

Well the popularity may actually take a sharp dive if and when that forth movie comes out. As these reviews from Amazon prove so
http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Dawn-Twilight-Stephenie-Meyer/dp/0316067938/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278664485&sr=8-3 scroll alllll the waaayyy to the bottom to customer reviews and read the 3 reviews. , and trust me, there lengthy. I personally liked the third one. I have to say after reading it my only reason to watch this last movie is for the birth part. Sounds gory, fun!

Apparently S.Meyer must have gotten tired of this series as this one fan quotes "Why didn't you just sell a book that just says, "To all my fans: F%*# YOU."
also liked :"I was ready to drive to Arizona, find Stephenie Meyer's house, and burn it down. "

lol baby eating the mother from the insides... Hmmmm I could actually believe this is what you are going to get if a human mates with a vampire...

hehe... the book sounds like a real horror story... although I'm a little bothered by the fans if they dont like the book after the first 100 pages then why keep reading it...
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2010, 06:55:40 AM »

Hey guys, sorry to get off what you are currently talking about, I found an interesting statement that you may be interested in:

That "love" between Bella, Edward, and Jacob isn't love. It's far more basic and potentially far more evil. Bella sees Edward and Jacob for what they basically are: Immortal, forever young boy toys. She's a horny teenage girl who meets a vampire (as defined by Meyer) and, once realizing she can become a vampire herself and can potentially have this glittering beautiful man for eternity, she jumped on it.

Somehow this pasty white girl from Forks managed to manipulate Edward Cullen and Jacob to do anything she wants by dangling the false hope of a fulfilling relationship (and sex) in front of them. And when robbed of her chance at immortality and eternal youth and eternal hot pasty glittery white boy sex, she self-destructs. It wasn't because she "loved" Edward. No, it was because without Edward, she would grow old and die. She literally "couldn't live (forever) without him." And to a teenager, is there any worse fate?

She's using Jacob to make Edward jealous, hoping in his jealousy and his lust and his desire that he does grant her the immortality she desires, even if it means people die.

But like most people don't see the evil in Ferris Beuller, the intended audience for Twilight can't see Bella for what she is. They see Edward, an outcast from the normal world, cursed with immortality and bloodlust, fall in love with a mortal girl who he doesn't want to suffer as he has. They see Bella caught in this hopeless relationship, see their mutual desire, that whole forbidden romance thing.. and eat it up. Throw in a "love triangle" and it's a hit.

Edward may honestly love and desire Bella, but to her, Edward is a means to an end. And while there are many vampiric fish in the sea, she wants this one even if she has to break his heart and the hearts of every man around her to do it.

...now that I think about it, maybe the fans do notice this and love it. Who knows? Food for thought. :3

Kind of explains that whole romance thing between everyone now, doesn't it?   Wink

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2010, 09:42:39 AM »

lol baby eating the mother from the insides... Hmmmm I could actually believe this is what you are going to get if a human mates with a vampire...

hehe... the book sounds like a real horror story... although I'm a little bothered by the fans if they dont like the book after the first 100 pages then why keep reading it...
Hey guys, sorry to get off what you are currently talking about, I found an interesting statement that you may be interested in:

That "love" between Bella, Edward, and Jacob isn't love. It's far more basic and potentially far more evil. Bella sees Edward and Jacob for what they basically are: Immortal, forever young boy toys. She's a horny teenage girl who meets a vampire (as defined by Meyer) and, once realizing she can become a vampire herself and can potentially have this glittering beautiful man for eternity, she jumped on it.

Somehow this pasty white girl from Forks managed to manipulate Edward Cullen and Jacob to do anything she wants by dangling the false hope of a fulfilling relationship (and sex) in front of them. And when robbed of her chance at immortality and eternal youth and eternal hot pasty glittery white boy sex, she self-destructs. It wasn't because she "loved" Edward. No, it was because without Edward, she would grow old and die. She literally "couldn't live (forever) without him." And to a teenager, is there any worse fate?

She's using Jacob to make Edward jealous, hoping in his jealousy and his lust and his desire that he does grant her the immortality she desires, even if it means people die.

But like most people don't see the evil in Ferris Beuller, the intended audience for Twilight can't see Bella for what she is. They see Edward, an outcast from the normal world, cursed with immortality and bloodlust, fall in love with a mortal girl who he doesn't want to suffer as he has. They see Bella caught in this hopeless relationship, see their mutual desire, that whole forbidden romance thing.. and eat it up. Throw in a "love triangle" and it's a hit.

Edward may honestly love and desire Bella, but to her, Edward is a means to an end. And while there are many vampiric fish in the sea, she wants this one even if she has to break his heart and the hearts of every man around her to do it.

...now that I think about it, maybe the fans do notice this and love it. Who knows? Food for thought. :3

Kind of explains that whole romance thing between everyone now, doesn't it?   Wink

See, I'm telling you all...this is all prime B-movie material no matter if its in film or book form!  Watch the first film and tell me it doesn't fit into everything the Twi-tards don't want it to fit into...IOW films we all like to easily trash for fun.  Plot loopholes, awful characters, bad acting and just an all out suck fest to make fun of.   This scene just kind of captures the whole series...
Small | Large
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 09:59:24 AM by The DarkSider » Logged

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2010, 12:21:39 AM »

Wow that was really bad. I found it really annoying how the camera kept changing position just to keep the scene moving, because the actors or so horrible. Could they have put just a little emotion in their acting?

Smells like popcorn and shame
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2010, 04:58:20 PM »

Yeah, the acting is really bad. I keep hearing that Kristen Steward is a good actress, but since I've only seen her in this I have my doubts.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Evollove
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2010, 08:30:32 PM »

@ information geek: ha ha too true about love

and kristen stewart is a great actress: she is trying to act like a boring moron, right? well done
WildHoosier09
I'm the one who looks like he can use a keyboard
Bad Movie Lover

I've got to find out what causes this and put a st

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2010, 09:51:29 PM »

If something terrible happens and I somehow get sucked into this Twilight garbage and like it, please don't hate me.  I've resisted it so far, despite several attempts to turn me, but I fear I'm wearing down.

I hope there's not some lame reason for loving Harry Potter.

Don't worry Paquita, I am married to a twilight fan (for better and for worse).  Twilight works for women because they can feel like they are "Bella" since she's simply a blank template and good things happen to Bella without her really trying.  There are some male equivalents though I can't think of anything right now (Off-hand James Bond comes to mind but he has more character development).  The interesting thing about twilight is despite the fact that off-handidly it has all of the hallmarks of a horror movie (werewolves, vampires, violent deaths, etc.) it is a romance.  This is one of the factors which play into the almost instantaneous hatred most men feel towards it.  The other factor is that there are no effective human male characters to identify with.  Bella's father is well meaning but at best a deattached minor character and all her male school friends are made to look like infantile, weakling, morons.  The saddest part is in the 2cd movie (yes, I have seen the first 2 movies, see first sentence for explanation as to why) her highschool human friend can't even sit through an action movie without vomiting. So the lesson is you have to be immortal in order to be able to watch an action movie?  Edward/Jacob set an unrealistic expectation on men which is another reason it is almost uniformly hated by men.  My wife actually said to me at the end of the second movie "why don't you look more like jacob?" uggghhhhh!!!!   Hatred   Bluesad  How about I'm not a freaking professional actor that's why.  I don't ever ask her why she doesn't look more like Angelina Jolie.

The only difference between zombies and toddlers is one is cuter than the other.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2010, 08:23:38 AM »

My wife actually said to me at the end of the second movie "why don't you look more like jacob?" uggghhhhh!!!!   Hatred   Bluesad  How about I'm not a freaking professional actor that's why.  I don't ever ask her why she doesn't look more like Angelina Jolie.

And we can thank the sexist double standard brought to us by the Sexual Revolution for that kind of thing.  If you HAD compared her to Angelina Jolie, she would have complained to all her friends and they would commiserate with her with 'advice' like "why can't he just love you for YOU?...MEN!"  Women can gawk at male physicality all day long without the hue and cry of "objectification."

There was a time when a woman was just happy to HAVE a man...now the pendulum seems to have flipped.  Seems most guys with a girl on their arm are smiling in triumph rather than with love, and the women are the ones always looking for the next better thing.

There!   TeddyR  I found TWIGLIGHT'S true meaning.  I think Meyer was writing a metaphor for the social mores as they pertain to sex roles and courtship/mating rituals.  The female in this story appears weak at first glance but actually holds ALL the power.  The strong (potentially abusive) males ultimately bend to her will.  The juxtaposition of weak/strong and strong/weak stands for the greater American cultural shifts that have occurred during Meyer's lifetime, especially during her formative years.

Brilliance!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2010, 09:39:41 AM »

I'm honestly amazed this thread has gone on as long as it has. I fully expected it to have run it's course by now. Really, does Twilight really deserve this much attention on a site such as this? The bit from theoatmeal.com summed it up pretty well. Let's move on, shall we?

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2010, 12:47:25 PM »

I'm honestly amazed this thread has gone on as long as it has. I fully expected it to have run it's course by now. Really, does Twilight really deserve this much attention on a site such as this? The bit from theoatmeal.com summed it up pretty well. Let's move on, shall we?

Do you remember Calico Cooper and the Junkfood Horrorfest thread?

I suspect that this is getting a similar treatment (in an abstract way).  IOW, we tend to worry irritations to death rather than let them drop.

It's our way, and, hey, it can be kinda fun.   Lookingup

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The popularity of Twilight explained « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.