Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:26:36 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The popularity of Twilight explained « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: The popularity of Twilight explained  (Read 16463 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2010, 02:08:34 PM »

I'm honestly amazed this thread has gone on as long as it has. I fully expected it to have run it's course by now. Really, does Twilight really deserve this much attention on a site such as this? The bit from theoatmeal.com summed it up pretty well. Let's move on, shall we?

Do you remember Calico Cooper and the Junkfood Horrorfest thread?

I suspect that this is getting a similar treatment (in an abstract way).  IOW, we tend to worry irritations to death rather than let them drop.

It's our way, and, hey, it can be kinda fun.   Lookingup

Alright. Fair enough. Carry on then.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
BTM

« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2010, 06:12:02 PM »

Since we're on the subject, check out this awesome Twilight vs True Blood video from Itsjustsomerandom guy (if you're a fan of comic books, you should also check out his other stuff.)

Small | Large

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Skull
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2010, 01:39:03 PM »

My wife actually said to me at the end of the second movie "why don't you look more like jacob?" uggghhhhh!!!!   Hatred   Bluesad  How about I'm not a freaking professional actor that's why.  I don't ever ask her why she doesn't look more like Angelina Jolie.

Oh... that's funny!!!

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2010, 02:39:36 PM »

Hatred Hatred Hatred

Cheers

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2010, 07:53:39 PM »

We just have to figure out a way to cash in on the next wave of tv trend setting.

TV Shows, Miniseries and Made-for-TV Movie ideas:

20 Miles from LA - Bella Meets The Ymir
Edward Cullen Scissorhands
Brokeback Afterlife - The Edward and Jacob Story
Are You Smarter Than a Vampire?
Buffy the Vampire Slayer - The Next Generation, 90210
Plan 9 From Bella's Pants
2001: A Vampire Odyssey (the HAL you never saw in Kubrick's version)
The Price Is Right For Bella
Life Swap
Extreme Makeovers - Sparkly Undead Edition
Sometimes They Come Back Again and Again and Again (like this thread, eh Flick?   TeddyR   )
Days of Our Lives and Deaths
Eeeagah! (no name change needed)
Jesse Stone: Did Bella Do It?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Skull
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2010, 10:05:38 PM »

We just have to figure out a way to cash in on the next wave of tv trend setting.

TV Shows, Miniseries and Made-for-TV Movie ideas:

Brokeback Afterlife - The Edward and Jacob Story  Thumbup

Are You Smarter Than a Vampire?  Thumbup  Thumbup

Extreme Makeovers - Sparkly Undead Edition  Thumbup

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

funny stuff!!!
Sersonius
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2010, 02:52:27 AM »

Since we're on the subject, check out this awesome Twilight vs True Blood video from Itsjustsomerandom guy (if you're a fan of comic books, you should also check out his other stuff.)

Emmm, True Blood maybe only a mediocre TV series with vampires as main theme but putting it on the same level as Twilight is a bit over the top imho.
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2010, 09:00:42 AM »

Ya so I just watched Twilight, my roommate got it because his girlfriend is all about the movies, god was that torture.
Now at first I was trying to get into the movie and give it a chance, I figured " They can't just make awkward faces at each other the whole movie and keep rehashing the same dialog the whole movie, can they?" Well they do for the first hour of the movie its awkward glances and the same lame ass dialog, thats been going on for the past hour. Nothing really happens during this time, its mostly shots of Edward looking like he's trying to hide and erection and Bella pondering on this weird creepy guy wareing way to much lipstick.
Finally Bella figures it out and she confesses to Edward in the forrest that she knows he's a vampire, which also is maybe one of the most painful scenes to watch in this movie, it was like they were playing Jeopardy  with how stiff the acting was.
 " Alex may I have 'the Cold One for 500'?"
"What is super strong, super fast and hates the sun"
"What is a Vampire, Alex?"
Oh and another thing the camera work absolutely sucked in this movie. The camera moved around more than the plot did. I suspect it was to hide the horrible acting job, because in many scenes there is slow and unnecessary tracking shots, or sudden angle changes that keep us from actually seeing the actors talking.
So we have the second half of the movie coming up and someone finally dies "YA" but it doesn't really seem to matter much, because we quickly go right back Bella and Edward, who now instead of looking socially awkward at each other, now just smile stiffly at each other.But now that the Bella seems committed to being a necrophile she meets Edwards surrogate family and in what should have been a much more fascinating scene involving a human meeting a family of vampires for the first time, we wined right back in the freaking woods again, with Edward and Bella, jumping through the forrest like Tarzan and Jane. Most of this movie is spent in the damn woods, with the two most wooden actors of the whole movie.
Next we are treated to a baseball game played with the vampire family, which for some reason can only play during a thunderstorm, I don't really know why, I think its because they hit the ball so hard it sounds like thunder, but because they are out in the middle of freaking nowhere it shouldn't matter and if they hit the ball that hard how are the bats not being turned into toothpicks?
Ok at this point the bad guys show up. They previously killed a guy who is Bella's dads friend, but like I said that doesn't really matter to much, no one seems all that heart broken about it and the only point of it was to introduce the bad guys.So the bad guys show up and I was all hoping for vampire brawl at this point, but instead stiff words are said and one of the bad guys gets a thing for Bella and wants to hunt her down.
Edward decides that Bella needs to go back to Arizona (Sorry I forgot to mention that is where Bella is from) and sends his sister and some other guy who walks around like Edward Scissor hands with her to Arizona while Edward tries to lead the bad guys away. Now some how Bella and the Vampires get to Arizona from Washington in a incredible short amount of time. Edward is still trying to lead the bad guys away, but some how Bella has teleported to Arizona and once the bad guy figures the trick out also teleports to Arizona, I can only explain this with teleportation, because there is no way they drove there in a day. And heres another thing how did these sparkly Vampires go through the desert with out being spotted. They are so concerned with not being found out, but hide out in the sunniest damn place you can imagine.
So bad guy finds Bella and lures her to her old dance school, I really wish more time had been spent on this guy hunting the girl down and maybe getting to know a little more about him other than being the bad vampire, but you never get what you want in this movie. Bad Vampire starts to torture Bella but Edward shows up (you know because he can teleport too) and they fight, finally some freaking action. The fight scene is all wire work and nothing really special but some what entertaining.
Edward saves Bella kills the bad guy (actually he doesn't kill him, his sister does), blah, blah blah they go to the Prom and they kiss. Thank god its over.
After watching this movie I am left dumbfounded about its popularity. This movie sucked, if you want to watch a real vampire movie watch "Let the right one in" but avoid the Twilight saga like the plague. I gave two hours of my life to this movie and have spent another hour writing this post b***hing about, I could be in bed sleeping, but this movie sucked so bad I needed to vent my frustration. Hell I'm going to bed.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 09:10:31 AM by wyckednick » Logged

Smells like popcorn and shame
Skull
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2010, 09:38:35 AM »

After watching this movie I am left dumbfounded about its popularity. This movie sucked,

lol... Vampires and Sucking should go hand to hand... (lol)

if you want to watch a real vampire movie watch "Let the right one in" but avoid the Twilight saga like the plague. I gave two hours of my life to this movie and have spent another hour writing this post b***hing about, I could be in bed sleeping, but this movie sucked so bad I needed to vent my frustration. Hell I'm going to bed.

Actually "Let the Right One In" was ok. I thought it was a little cleaver but it also seemed boring at times.

Although when I think of vampire children I cannot stop thinking of Near Dark and the poor vampire kid (I think he was 50 years old yet his body was trapped in a 11 to 12 year old boy, and he was getting really sick of the being stuck in that sexual limbo age)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2010, 11:29:08 AM »

Congrats Wyckednick, you are part of the few and the proud of non-Twitarded who have taken on this movie.  It is plainly awful. 

Next we are treated to a baseball game played with the vampire family, which for some reason can only play during a thunderstorm, I don't really know why, I think its because they hit the ball so hard it sounds like thunder, but because they are out in the middle of freaking nowhere it shouldn't matter and if they hit the ball that hard how are the bats not being turned into toothpicks?
My sentiments exactly.  This has to be the goofiest moment of the film.  Then the rebel vampires arrive and friggin' challenge them to a game!  Its like baseball is the side hobby of all undead. 

Ok at this point the bad guys show up. They previously killed a guy who is Bella's dads friend, but like I said that doesn't really matter to much, no one seems all that heart broken about it and the only point of it was to introduce the bad guys.So the bad guys show up and I was all hoping for vampire brawl at this point, but instead stiff words are said and one of the bad guys gets a thing for Bella and wants to hunt her down.
Repeat 4x for all the stories that the bad guys show up with little time left in the story.  They are off'd as quickly as they are introduced thus posing no real threat or dilemna for the protaganists to overcome.  All we end up with with most of the story is...well I've already said it earlier.   A bunch of "I love you...I don't love you" dialog that makes a 3rd grade play look like Oscar winning material.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2010, 03:11:53 PM »

I watched New Moon this weekend. My wife likes them somewhat, but she has a good sense of humor about it. I also watched the first one when it came to cable. It's essentially a Danielle Steele novel but set in high school and with vampires and werewolves fighting each other. Twilight doesn't have the trademark on non-descript females characters that women/girls can project themselves into and have perfect men fight over them. Pure romance pulp for the current girl culture. The author simply cashed in on the current vampire and lycan buzz created by Underworld and the like and combined it with the writing of Danielle Steel and the like, and voila! You got a franchise that drives guys crazy because not only is it insipid, but the girls are buying into it and asking their boyfriends and husbands why they aren't more like Edward/Jacob, mythological representations of the woman's "perfect man" as embodied in thousands of cheesy romance novels, on steroids.

As for the character of Bella. In part one she's a boring, annoying highschool chick that, if such characters like Edward existed, they wouldn't have the slightest interst in. In part two, she's the same, but also a manipulative c**t. It's all quite laughable and I'm beginning to see the point of whoever it was who posted how it's all just a big-budget b-movie that is sometimes fun to make fun of.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2010, 04:33:28 PM »

No, two movies.  They're splitting Breaking Dawn in half.   Lookingup

You hope. As rumour has it, that Hollywood wants to extend the franchise, depending how well the fourth and fifth films do. Not with films based upon the novels, as there are no more novels to adapt, but with scripts written directly for the screen.
Jim H

« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2010, 04:42:43 PM »

No, two movies.  They're splitting Breaking Dawn in half.   Lookingup

You hope. As rumour has it, that Hollywood wants to extend the franchise, depending how well the fourth and fifth films do. Not with films based upon the novels, as there are no more novels to adapt, but with scripts written directly for the screen.

There's also at least one side short novel, from the point of view of one of the recently turned vampires from that vampire army thing.  They need a word for that, movies that take place inbetween already released films in a series.  An inbetweenquel?
Skull
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2010, 04:47:29 PM »

There's also at least one side short novel, from the point of view of one of the recently turned vampires from that vampire army thing.  They need a word for that, movies that take place inbetween already released films in a series.  An inbetweenquel?

First there is sequels...

Then we got Prequels...

The Chipmonks gave us Squeakquels...

Now Twilight will give us Inbetweenquel...

lol lol lol
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2010, 07:24:13 PM »

You know folks, I may have brought it up before, but it still bears repeating.  There is far better (When I say better I mean its sillier, goofier, amusing and very odd ball) romance vampire series out there called Karin/Chibi Vampire.  Yeah, it's manga that actually spawned a bunch of novels and anime to boot!  Oh sure, you hardly take it serious and the voice acting is just laughworthy (Not in a good way or even a bad way.  Just too bland) in the anime verison, but it is far more bareable and at least characters aren't of the cardboard variety.  Here's a review of the anime product in question:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/ir/jo/jar/24130-karin

Just to make this clear: Avoid Twilight series and look into Karin/Chibi Vampire for a real romantic (As real as you can expect), action, and even comedy story.  Not the best, but what else is there that actually involves a good romantic vampire story?

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The popularity of Twilight explained « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.