Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:59:59 AM
713398 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  President's Day Double: LYNCH MOB (2009) and MY SOUL TO TAKE (2010) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: President's Day Double: LYNCH MOB (2009) and MY SOUL TO TAKE (2010)  (Read 1616 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: February 21, 2011, 03:59:57 PM »

Being off work today, I swung by my local Hasting's video rental to pick up some long weekend entertainment.  I had picked up LYNCH MOB and put it down several times over the last few weeks; MY SOUL TO TAKE came out this week and I grabbed it at the first opportunity.  I watched them both in the last 24 hours, and here is my report:

LYNCH MOB - This is a low budget jewel of a horror/comedy film, that doesn't fit snugly into either niche.  Basic synopsis:
In 1864, the small town of Lynchburg, Georgia was in the path of Sherman's advancing army.  Unwilling to see their houses burned and their slaves freed by the hated Yankees, the natives murdered all their own slaves, then burned their town to the ground.  But one of the slaves was a Voodoo priestess, and she placed the town's inhabitants under a horrible curse for their vile act - they will remain trapped in the town's limits forever, cursed with a horrible hunger for human flesh, unable to die or escape.
Flash to modern day:  Weasel is an "information extracter" for a Mafia family.  He employs creative torture tactics to get whatever information his bosses require.  He is also a pedophile.  We see him employ his tactics on a boxer who has stolen mob money, and demands his "usual perk" when the guy begins to spill the beans.  He is taken up to a hotel room were a young girl - about 13 - is waiting for him.  But before he can do anything evil and disgusting, one of the Mafiosi kick in the door and run him off.  A few weeks later, Weasel is caught in the act of abducting a small girl from a playground.  He offers to give up the entire Giovanni crime family to the Feds in exchange for parole, but the DA doesn't want to send him to any place where there are children.  So off he goes to . . . you guessed it, Lynchburg, Georgia, population 12.
  Once there, Weasel discovers 2 things.  One, his neighbors all want to kill him.  Two, if he kills them first, they just keep coming back!  He does discover how to put one down for good, by severing his head.  But then the ghouls manage to get the drop on him.  However, he's wearing an ankle monitor.  If it stops reading his heartbeat, the town will be crawling with Feds.  So he agrees to buy his life by bringing "fresh meat" into the town . . . as long as the locals don't mind "eating Italian"!
   This movie has lots of gore, a large amount of nudity (mostly the same girl who cannot seem to keep her shirt on for an entire scene!),  several clever plot devices, and finally, a pretty decent twist ending.  I highly recommend it!
   This afternoon I watched MY SOUL TO TAKE, the latest offering from Wes Craven.  I must say I found it to be quite good!  the "Riverton Ripper" was a notorious serial killer who, one night 16 years ago, killed his wife and six other people in a blood soaked rampage before escaping from the ambulance and disappearing into the swift local river.  That same night, seven premature babies were born at the local ER, including one rescued from the womb of the Ripper's murdered wife. 
   Now sixteen years have passed, and the Riverton Seven are celebrating their birthdays.  The Ripper has become a local legend, and the kids have an  annual ritual they perform to keep his evil spirit from coming back: they meet at the spot where he disappeared into the river and knock over an effigy of the Ripper to bar him from their town.  But something goes wrong, and on the way back from the celebration, one of the kids is killed . . . but who is doing the killing?  Did the Ripper really survive that awful night 16 years before, or had his evil soul passed into one of the teens?  Or is one of them just plain crazy?  Well done, chilliing, with lots of twists and turns in the plot, this is an excellent little horror film all the way around!  I highly recommend it!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  President's Day Double: LYNCH MOB (2009) and MY SOUL TO TAKE (2010) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.