Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:22:08 AM
713331 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Most improved sequels! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Most improved sequels!  (Read 8963 times)
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 04, 2010, 11:06:55 PM »

Movie sequels are quite a thing.  Many disparage them, and many of them are obviously cash-ins and quite obnoxious.  But there are sequels that are good, there are sequels that equal the original, and there are even sequels that are better than the original film they derive from.  

And I think those rare sequels that improve on the original are a good idea for a thread.   TeddyR

So, what are some examples?  I can think of a few...

Zatoichi is a long running chambara (Japanese sword fighting) film series that ran from 1962 to 1973, had a popular TV series that ran for 100 episodes, then had another film that basically capped the series in 1989.  Then, in 2003, there was a sort of remake, and several years later, another quasi-remake (this time with a female lead).

It is the original series I'm going to talk about though.  There are 26 films in the original series, and I think almost all of the 25 sequels are better than the first film.  The only ones I do NOT like more than the original are parts 24, 25, and possibly one of the others.  Part 2, in particular, is in many ways a large improvement (better pacing, more enjoyable characters, improved writing, better action choreography).  Part 3 is excellent and has some of the best drama of the series.  Part 6 is superlative and really entertaining.  And the series goes on, consistently good, for so many movies.  

As another example of this, consider Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.  I remember quite a few of my friends raving about Batman Begins.  I saw it, and thought it was much better than Batman & Robin and Batman Forever, but I didn't think it was THAT good.  Yeah, it was a decent film and had a good style to it, but many of the action scenes were poorly shot, Katie Holmes sucked, it sometimes was TOO dark, it felt a little long, didn't really care for the two villains, and I felt the apocalyptic stuff towards the end went overboard.  

Then The Dark Knight came out, and I thought it was quite an improvement in just about every regard.  The structure of the film is fantastic, the writing is much better, the action scenes are way better (though I think they could still get better), Ledger's Joker is just far better than the original film's villains, and so on.  I don't think it is a perfect film, but it's very, very good.

Can anyone think of others?
3mnkids

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 12:11:00 AM »

Aliens
Mad Max:The road warrior

While I dont think its better than the original its pretty close..

Rambo(2008)

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 04:46:09 AM »

I liked Star Trek The Motion Picture ~ OK, I was 12 when I saw it  Lookingup ~ but Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan blew me away totally.*

*Just btw, THAT scene in that film made me cry and I lied to my folks, telling them that something had stung me to make my eyes red like that.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Cthulhu

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 05:56:31 AM »

Terminator 2
The empire strikes back
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 06:19:04 AM »

Batman Returns.
Predator 2

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 07:47:45 AM »

Last night I watched Cabin Fever 2. a lot better than Cabin Fever but neither is exactly brilliant.

Terminator 2

definitely agree. remember seeing this at the cinema and being blown away with how good it was ( I was 14, sneaking into a 15 certificate film probably added to the enjoyment). special effects and general vibe of the fim is way better than the original for me

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 10:05:07 AM »

Several of the Friday the 13th films, parts 2 and 3 most notably.  I personally didn't think the first one was very good at all.  I also thought The Lord of the Rigs:  The Two Towers was much better than the first one.  And in a similar vein, Sorority House Massacre 2 - Nighty Nightmare was quite a bit better than the original.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Evollove
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 07:58:33 PM »

@  trevor: have you seen that seinfeld where he uses the speech from wrath of khan? (funny results)

I think the Star Trek movies

particularly: # 4 The Voyage Home, because it is hilarious
                   First Contact (the borg!)

the Indiana Jones sequels have been good

Shrek 2 is better than the original

The X-men sequels are pretty good, including the spin-off Wolverine

I also really like the punk girl who hurts herself in Return of the Living Dead 3

the Hellraiser sequels have better effects than the original

and Army of Darkness or Evil Dead 2 is prob. better than Evil Dead

28 weeks later, just as good as 1st
Jim H

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 01:21:54 AM »

I think Dr. No is actually fairly weak as far as Bond films go.  Not a bad film, but I think the next three are quite a bit more fun.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 01:45:55 PM »

Revenge of the Sith defeinity improved on the other two prequels and built quite well into the originals.  While it still suffers some problems along with the other 2 films, RotS still was a bit improvement in general.

The Toy Story series seemed to do this quite well in my book.  Each story improved with new characters, interesting twists, better humor, and a stronger plot in general that almost every viewer can understand.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 03:21:02 PM »

GODFATHER, PART II is in many ways better than the original.  But by the same token, the original is in many ways better than PART II.  I think the casting in the original is tremendous.  PART II doesn't have as many interesting actors playing interesting roles (Marlon Brando, James Caan, Paul Castellano, Abe Vigoda, Lenny Montana, John Marley, and Al Lettieri, to name a few, are sorely missed).  But PART II has a much more developed plot and is a lot darker than the first one.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
ChaosTheory

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 07:22:35 PM »

The Empire Strikes Back, Bride of Frankenstein, and Toy Story 2, improved on the originals which were already quite good.
Rocky Balboa - not better than the first movie but better than the other sequels

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 09:38:13 PM »

Nightmare On Elm Street 2 was pretty bad.  Much is made of the supposed homosexual undertones, but I just thought it was very weak story-wise, and stupid things happened for no reason.  Then I saw part 3 at the theater with my mom and we loved it.  After that the series started to go downhill when Freddy became a wisecracker and the kids couldn't act worth beans, the sixth (Freddy's Dead) being the absolute nadir.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
dean

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 03:50:45 AM »

Back to the Future 2 was a great sequel that I enjoyed more than the first.  The 3rd was ok, but not better.

Ghostbusters 2 comes close to the first in my mind, but not quite...

I quite enjoyed Jurassic Park 2, and there are many aspects I liked more than number one.

Last Crusade is a perfect sequel in my mind: it not only has a great story and exists quite well on its own but it adds to the franchise well: some sequels just have a different plot with the same characters, in Last Crusade I can feel like it was a continuation of a bigger story of Indiana's life, not just little interesting stories that happen to include him...  I just can't fault it.

Gremlins 2 is insanity at its best: whereas the first was somewhat of a scary-ish film the surreal comedy of New Batch was a riot to me.  Not all may agree though...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Sersonius
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 03:25:31 PM »

Aliens movie is in my eyes an improvement over the first part.
I am probably biased because i saw Aliens in cinema at a very young age (too young - i had nightmares for weeks - seriously) and the first movie much later in TV.
I think some people have the same problem with Terminator 2. After seeing the 2nd in cinema before watching the 1st they just can't fully appreciate the superior first part.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Most improved sequels! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.