Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:02:21 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Delsea Drive-In « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Delsea Drive-In  (Read 2756 times)
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« on: July 05, 2010, 10:55:02 AM »

http://www.delseadrive-in.com/

There are only about 400 drive-in movie theatres left in the US.  Last night, I was lucky enough to attend one of them. The experience, something that any serious movie fan should have at least once, was something I'll remember for the rest of my life. Incidently, I had gone to a Loews theatre earlier in the day, giving me an opprotunity to compare the two:

Loews                                                          Delsea

(The Last Airbender)                                   (Toy Story 3 and Grownups)

Ticket Price                            $9.00 for one movie                  $8.00 for a double feature  (or $4.oo a movie)

Concession            18 bucks for two sodas and a bag of candy               An entire meal for about $6.50

Menu                                    Pretzels, pizza, soda, etc               Everything the chains have but more, including apple cider milkshakes and fried pierogies with sour cream

Outside Food?                            Not a chance                       Pay a $7.00 permit, and you can bring in as much as you want (considering the place makes the majority of its money off concessions, this is more than fair)

Extras                Crappy trivia and shameless ads for verizon      Vintage 70's shorts, including the infamous "Lets all go to the Lobby"

Sound                                        Surround                         Portable/Car radio (There are so many on at once, you don't notice a difference)

Ambiance                Overly commercial and family friendly           Very nostalgic. Family friendly, though if you are the first to arrive, the place can have an eerie, 70's slasher film feel to it.

Seating                      Semi-comfortable stadium seating               Lawn chairs, truck bed, whatever you want

If you live in the NJ/PA/DEL area, seek this place out and plan a trip (If you apply to their email list, they will send you weekly updates of what they are showing). If not, find a drive-in close to you and go, you will not ever regret or forget it. The drive-ins are dying out, its our duty as film fans to support them while we still can!!!!

« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 11:12:17 AM by Fausto » Logged

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
3mnkids
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 11:16:55 AM »

The drive in is the only way we can afford to go to the movies.  TeddyR  The one we go to is 9.00 for adults kids under 12 are free and its for two movies. It has a playground for the kids and the food is cheap and not half bad. We usually bring our own food and drinks though.

The fact that the little one can lay down in back of the van when he gets tired is a huge plus. Oh, and I can smoke  TeddyR   They are expanding the one we visit by adding a third screen.  Thumbup

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 12:01:44 PM »

I love drive-ins, don't go as often as I should.

One more for your chart, Fausto:

If the movie's boring:

Loews -- either sit there and suffer through it or walk out (no refunds)
Drive-in -- if you brought a date, you're hoping the movie's boring  Twirling

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 01:08:44 PM »

If the movie's boring:

Drive-in -- if you brought a date, you're hoping the movie's boring  Twirling

BounceGiggle

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
Vik
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 01:29:28 PM »

I wish there was a Drive-in in Belgium !  Hatred
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 05:43:55 PM »

I wish there was a Drive-in in Belgium !  Hatred

With all that great beer, who needs drive-ins?   Cheers

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 06:19:00 PM »

It's about 1.5 hours from our house here.  That's really tempting, and I'll keep an eye on their offerings.  The kids would enjoy it as a mini trip, and hopefully would fall asleep on the drive back home after the film.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 06:17:45 AM »

I love drive-ins, don't go as often as I should.

If the movie's boring:

Drive-in -- if you brought a date, you're hoping the movie's boring  Twirling

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 09:11:23 AM »

Sadly, drive-ins have almost totally died out in South Africa after going through a boom period in the 1960s and early 1970's before SA got TV in 1975. Yes, no typo: 1975.

There are two left that I know of ~ the 'Velskoen' in Johannesburg and one here www.menlynpark.co.za which is on top of that centre's seven story parking garage. A great view from up there, especially in summer but don't have a few drinks and then go walking around.  Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Monster Jungle X-Ray
Bad Movie Lover

Just Another Pretty Face

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 11:17:43 PM »

There is one drive-in left in Georgia, the Starlight Drive-In in Atlanta. During the summer they will usually do a B-Movie Invasion festival that is an all day event with bands playing beforehand, and then screen several classic B-Movies.

http://www.starlightdrivein.com/

I can recall seeing many films in the 1970s at the Drive-In. I know I saw Star Wars a couple of times, the Dracula remake with Frank Langella, The Jungle Book, Bedknobs and Broomsticks many more.

" Society doesn't accept us because of what we are, so we're an enemy of society. " - Pa Mooney, THE RATS ARE COMING! THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE!
ChaosTheory

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 06:40:19 PM »

Oh how I wish there was a drive-in where I live.  I would never either of our crappy multiplexes if we had one.  Although my town does have an old-school theater, the Elks, that runs a lot of the bigger movies at a discount rate (it gets them much later, usually about a month before they go to DVD) and does special showings - they've done Midnight showings of Spaceballs, a Tarantino festival, and festivals of local filmmakers.  The only downside to that is nothing stays at the Elks for very long, usually no more than a week.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Delsea Drive-In « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.